Register now to get rid of these ads!

engine choice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coolieman, Sep 25, 2011.

1. coolieman

coolieman

I am building 1935 dodge 5 window coupe as far as future value goes would there be any difference in useing a 350 ci chevy or a 327 ci chevy engine

2. George

George

Nah, they're both bellybuttons....

3. farmer12

farmer12

No, probably not. But a Mopar engine will add more value IMHO.

4. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Exactly: Highest Resale Value = Mopar Engine.

Please don't bastardize it by dropping in another bellybutton chebby.

5. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Late model EFI Hemi!

6. coolieman

coolieman

Does it have to be (HEMI) what about a 340 magnum 1973 duster drive train ??? also does the motor trans, rear need to be mopar??

7. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

i would go with mopar [engine/trans] rear can be what ever,i'm going with a leaning tower of power slant6,but it looks like i'm going with a ford 8.8 out of ranger or a dana 35 out of a jeep Cherokee, which is mopar i guess.
    i'm not real big on chevy motors, as said above their belly bottons..

8. I'm a big fan of the small block chevy, but if I had your car, I'd be looking for a Dodge engine. Dodge people are very brand loyal, and they like Dodge cars with Mopar motors.

Just tellin' it like I see it. 327 or 350, I can't see anybody saying,"I'm not buying that, it's got a 350 and I wanted a 327."

9. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

318, 340, 360--They'e all a good fit and will add to value-both intrinsic and $$.

10. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Yep, either one is a boring bellybutton engine and a turn-off, no good reason to not use a Mopar in it. Lots & lots of 318's and 360's out there for the easy way, late models w/OD autos, then there's the early stuff- all of it WAY more interesting than an el-cheapo Chebbie

11. coolieman

coolieman

OK I had been leaning towards a mopar drive train but the chevys are so damn cheap and the mopars are hard to find and 2/3 times more cost maybe you guys can set me straight on something I have always looked at the 318 as a generic motor for station wagons somethig like a chevy 305( am I wrong) at a glance (the 318's )they seem to be pretty reasonably priceed also I thought the dusters and demons with the 340 were more appealling as hot rods go ???

12. 73RR

73RR

Since you are thinking of resale value it is apparent this is not your dream car so do the right thing and use a proper drivetrain. I would suggest a 63-66 318 Poly with an A-518 TF. The 5.7 EFI that was mentioned would be a good choice if computers are your 'thing', but it would not be for everyone.
    A 35 Dodge with anything other than a Mopar engine will appeal to only a small percentage of potential buyers. The Mopar types will assess value based on the car with a need for a new engine (some that I know wouldn't even take it home with a sbc installed...); the shiverlay types will tell you it isn't as valuable as a 35 xxx(fill in the blank) but the sbc is 'cool'.

Your money, your choice...

13. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

MOPAR CRAP would be my choice. Iam a firm believer in keepin it purebred no matter what brand. MY $.02
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"

14. Demon Seed

Demon Seed
    from BF-AZ

An early Mopar won't appeal to most people... simply because its a Mopar. BUT it will appeal to the Mopar guys and you'll only get top dollar with a Mopar engine and trans.

Best choice IMHO would be an early Dodge hemi. Also the most costly. Second would be 273-360 Mopar. Not really much more expensive than a SBC but a much better choice. Third, BB 383-440. The big blocks would be a bit more $$ than the small blocks but aren't seen much in early cars because the muscle car guys gobble them up and they're getting hard to find. Last choice of the Mopars would be any of the early poly motors or a slant 6. Less expensive than an early hemi but would be unusual to be sure. Non traditional would be either the 5.7 or 6.1 EFI hemi.

WORST POSSIBLE CHOICE FOR AN EARLY MOPAR..... ANY SMALL BLOCK CHEVY !!!

15. Insane 49

Insane 49

What's with the "chebbie" crap? Have those engines left you butt hurt in some sort of way. There is something to be said for a design that was both reliable and fast, not to mention in production for 40+ years. As to the before mentioned question the 318 was chrysler's go to motor for years they were in everything from boats to motorhomes, they are indestructible. As for cost i had one in a in a full street trimmed challenger weighing 3800+ pounds that would run 11.60 all day with no power adders i had $800 in that engine. In short if you're looking to build then sell stay with a mopar plant, if you're building to keep put whatever you want in it it's your car.

16. coolieman

coolieman

Just a note I want to keep this Dodge not planning on selling but I wasn't planning on selling my 39 chevy when the market collasped in 2008 I knew a guy one time built a real nice 39 ford coupe 4x4 he decided to try and sell it but he couldn't find anyone that wanted a 39 ford coupe 4x4 ( go Figure) I'm just trying to cover my ass in case things go south again

17. 56oldssuper88

56oldssuper88

Go for a big block lol. Ive see a few, mid seventies, 440 motors for cheap on craigslist dying to get a new top end and and a healthy cam. :D

18. teddyp

teddyp

i,ve seen mopars with mopar drive trans and ones with sbc,s and sbf,s the ones that sell the fast are the nomopar drive trains but if your a mopar man the put a 360 in it any car 54 and older seems to sell easy with a sbc then any other drive train but after 55 there are a lot of people that like a same make in the same make model (the real boreing ones)but i think you will be mush happy if you put what you like

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

A 1960-70's V-8 with a six pack on it? Gary

20. RodStRace

RodStRace

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A 70's / 80's 360 with matching trans and a rear end that will fit under the car would be a decent choice that will make the car walk and talk and not break the budget. It will cost a little more than a sbc but you will keep the car all Mopar and that is a plus with a lot of guys.
    340's have hit collector status for the most part and the asking price is usually a lot more than a 360 in the same condition.

There are plenty of reasonably priced V8 Mopars out of the 70's and 80's floating around that you can buy for little of nothing, drive home and get the engine dialed in before you pull it and then sell off the hulk and recover a fair portion of the original price.

22. coolieman

coolieman

RodSTRace,If you look in jegs/summit they have SBC crate motors for $ 2.000 undressed and 2.500 dressed don't see any mopars that cheap

23. 318 Dodge motors are easy to find and cheap to build......keep it Mopar!!!

24. Phil 41 Chevy

Phil 41 Chevy

Your car do what you want ! If you like CHEVYS go with one , they have been around for years. MOPARS are nice to .

25. RodStRace

RodStRace

Yep, there are lots of cheap crate Chevys. Cheaper still to finish off with all the bolt-ons.
    I just checked and it looks like Mopar has stopped all but a few crate engines, and they are WAAAAY overpriced.

26. Demon Seed

Demon Seed
    from BF-AZ

Belly buttons have always been cheaper. Summit and Jegs are geared to the chebby fanatics. If you know where to look (mopar sites) you can find small block crate engines all day long for reasonable $$$.

27. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I agree with those who say that for the people to whom a Mopar body has appeal, they'll also want a Mopar engine.
    That said, if you're going full fendered, stay with a small block or a straight 6. The Mopar bodies and chassis were designed around a straight 6 and the front of the engine compartment is quite narrow.
    Friend of mine who is a Mopar fanatic is well along on building a '36 Dodge with a 440, and it has been a struggle to make room. Had to cut out the firewall and move it and the engine back 6 inches just to get enough room width wise as the heads and valve covers, etc interfered with the juncture of the inner fender panels, the fenders, and the hood.
    Go with a big block if you want, but be prepared for a helluva lot of extra work!
    Dave

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  28. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

There were buttloads of Dodge pickups & vans built with the 360, methinks you haven't been looking very hard if you can't find any. The 318 was also a very sweet runner, a buddy of mine back in high school had a base Duster with a 318/3spd manual, and it was surprisingly fast, and very torquey. Take a decent scrapyard motor, freshen it and a good valve job like anything else- and you won't have a boring bellybutton justanudderChebbie bastardizing your nice car

29. cavemag

cavemag

I'd go with a built up slant six.

30. RodStRace

RodStRace