Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chops in So Cal... come get your top whacked

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chillywilly, Mar 14, 2011.

1. travisty

travisty
    from just moved

amazing work and eye for the best chop. true talent.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  2. chillywilly

chillywilly

Next, make a piece of sheet metal to fit the cut away area in the rear of the window. You should have this piece from when you originally cut the roof off. You should keep everything you cut out!!! Due to the curvature of the window changing - we did alter the roof remember - you will need to reshape the inner side of the radius. Do so with small cuts to allow for movement. More cuts equal less movement per cut but to many cuts equals swiss cheese. Place and fit the new piece and prep for welding.

Attached Files:

3. chillywilly

chillywilly

Lastly, weld and grind smooth / metal finish to your liking. We like em real nice!!!!
    *opposite side shown cuz we havent welded in the d-side yet;)*

And VOILA!!! c-pillars done! To us it is so important to keep stock like amenities such as regular window function. This is a club coupe so it has pop out style windows which must still pop out. Making good corners and taking time around window and door ares will save headaches later when its time for glass and such.

Lead work on the sedan coming soon!

If you want some work done PM me for a quote! I am quoting a lot of stuff right now - space will fill up. :cool:

Attached Files:

4. A Rodder

A Rodder

5. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Looking good Will! Glad to see you guys are busy, man time flys its been forever since Ive been up to your place! Hope all is good brutha

6. chillywilly

chillywilly

What up eric!!! All good over here... hope all is good with you. Beers soon?

7. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Yeah buddy for sure! Its been almost a year (next month) since I moved here bro...time flies! Lets keep intouch about it

8. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

looking really good guys!
    Rob

9. chillywilly

chillywilly

Well, cut all the structure out of the sedan and rolled her outside to have a proper look. You be the judge. Took care of the deck lid and we will be doing the quarter panel seams as well.

:cool:

Attached Files:

• 6019.jpg
      6019.jpg
      File size:
      483.5 KB
      Views:
    • 6020.jpg
      6020.jpg
      File size:
      411.8 KB
      Views:
    • 6021.jpg
      6021.jpg
      File size:
      377.6 KB
      Views:
    • 6022.jpg
      6022.jpg
      File size:
      419.3 KB
      Views:
    • 6024.jpg
      6024.jpg
      File size:
      479.1 KB
      Views:
    • 6036.jpg
      6036.jpg
      File size:
      440.1 KB
      Views:
    • 6026.jpg
      6026.jpg
      File size:
      472.2 KB
      Views:
    • 6025.jpg
      6025.jpg
      File size:
      440.4 KB
      Views:
    • 6023.jpg
      6023.jpg
      File size:
      422.1 KB
      Views:
    • 6027.jpg
      6027.jpg
      File size:
      433.6 KB
      Views:
    • 6028.jpg
      6028.jpg
      File size:
      404.9 KB
      Views:
    • 6033.jpg
      6033.jpg
      File size:
      363.4 KB
      Views:
  10. 510madmav

510madmav

Love that chop. Excellent work

11. Malo

Malo

I have a 53 Bel Air ht that i need some metal work done to.

Thanks
    Rodney

12. Look fucking all some

13. Look's like the one here in NZ, albeit a different colour now....

14. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

Chopping a top is truly an art form....thanks for posting

15. koolkemp

koolkemp

Very nice work!!

16. MORodder

MORodder

Curious, what did that chop on the sedan cost? Would help get potential customers in.

17. farmer12

farmer12

Great looking chops! I do agree with MORodder, a "pricelist" would help some people. Good luck!

18. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Mad skills Chilly..looks very nice

19. chillywilly

chillywilly

Hey thanks for he kind words! Much appreciated. I thought about posting prices but there are so many variations on chops that it's hard to put one price out there. For instance, if someone wants a hardtop its much more labor intensive and therefore changes the price. But for ballpark figures that sedan chop cost $4500. For the end result and the quality of the work that's a good deal. The owner of the sedan was quoted all the way up to $9000 before he brought it to us.

20. great quality of work and skillsmanship.....

21. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Krooser, here's a shot of a 50 poncho HT we're chopping now, you can see how the rear window is set down into the body. Cut the package tray loose, drop the window frame, reattach everything. The edges of the package tray will get layed down.

chillywilly, you guys sure do nice work, GREAT looking chops! Thanks for the pics!

Attached Files:

22. krooser

krooser

I have to see how this turns out...how much of a haircut is the Poncho getting?

23. chillywilly

chillywilly

Tbirdesq ... love the roadster. Hope the poncho turns out good too! In our experience with "sinking " the window we found getting a really tight fit in the corners is paramount as it gets difficult to seal and you certainly don't want any water getting in there.

NOTE. The poncho chop is not being done by us. That is a picture provided by thunderbirdesq to show what sinking the rear window looks like.

24. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Thanks man, hope I'm not mucking up your thread here too much, just wanted to give Krooser and anyone else who's curious an example... Yeah, if water gets down in there, it's got nowhere to go, probably not as much of a consideration in sunny so-cal as it is in buffalo, but we've got a plan.:cool:

Krooser, it's cut roughly 2" in the front and 3 1/4" at the rear, nice and subtle. The car's owner will be posting details in it's own thread once the job is done and I'll let you know.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...:D

25. chillywilly

chillywilly

Well howdy kids... It has been a while. A kitchen remodel that turned into a laundry room and bathroom remodel as well has kept me sidetracked. Oh and working on a newly acquired ironhead sportster. As for my partner he had some time out as well, his dad passed and his mom needs a lot of help. Tough times for him but he's taking it on well and is back to work... You can see some of the projects that have been covered over the last few pages of the thread. The sedan is still being worked on, owner wanted some other items done such as grill mouth and other smaller metal work items. My coupe is still about the same I'll get some new pics up soon of latest developments.

Here is the new one though... 50 ford 4 door

Attached Files:

26. chillywilly

chillywilly

Here is the really fun part though.... We're going to make it a 2 door hardtop!!!
    (Good thing we already have a sedan here for measurements)

First order of business is to get the door posts moved back to accommodate a sedan length door. As always Brandon is a perfectionist and wants the factory look. Stay tuned... I've got about 60 more pics of this build on file and I'll be rolling them out

If you need metal work done or a chop shoot me a PM. We can handle smaller jobs (patch panels, handles, tail lights, headlights etc..) over a weekend.
    Ridiculous prices for the quality of work. I'll quote anything.

Attached Files:

27. chillywilly

chillywilly

After proper door length is acquired we've got to make the door longer. Picture by picture you can see how the process goes...

Start with the skin.. where does the right contour metal come from? the quarter panel of course!

The rear door is tacked to the body and you can see the fit from the inside and outside

Attached Files:

28. chillywilly

chillywilly

Next we need to put the inner structure back into the door as it was only the outer skin before..

repeat for passenger side

Attached Files:

29. lincolnhead

lincolnhead
    from Marysville

Wanna come to WA and chop my 53 Victoria? :D

30. chillywilly

chillywilly

Well.... you could bring it down ;)