Register now to get rid of these ads!

Harness recommendations???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PeteVS FP NJ, Sep 24, 2011.

1. PeteVS FP NJ

PeteVS FP NJ

I'm coming up on doing my first wiring job. '32 with SBC, early Ford trans, banjo rear, steering. No AC, no fancy column. I just looked at Rebel's website. Is that the way to go? All made in USA, simple kits? What should I look out for in picking a supplier? Thanks for any advice you can give a new guy like me.

PS: My Corvette has ground wires going everywhere, to all the lights, etc. This seems like a good idea to me. Has anyone adapted this to a steel car? My experiences back in the day taught me that bad grounds are a major pain.

2. Mattilac

Mattilac

Rebel's 9+3 is great. Very high quality.

3. choptup 49

choptup 49
    from so-cal

I used a painless 8 circuit wiring kit for my 31 coupe. It was very straightforward. I've used painless on other projects and never had a problem. They are color coded and labeled every few inches. The only thing I changed on the 8 circuit was the main fuse. To a resetable cicuit breaker. But that is my preference.

4. B Blue

B Blue

When I wired my car I gave it a fully wired ground system. No yellow, dim headlights for me! A lot of things are grounded to the frame as well as by wire. All this is because of bad experience with rusty old cars, but probably overkill as this car will probably never have much rust.

Bill

5. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

If the car is going together for good, a panel with the wires already attached is OK and I would recomend Rebel. If you're going to be blowing the car apart later for paint or whatever, a panel you can disconnect the wires from is easier to "unwire" in my opinion.

6. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

X2 on Painless----troublefree.

7. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Price on Painless is anything else. I recommend Hotrod Wire or Rebel Wire. Alliance member Rebel43 here on the Hamb can fix you up.

8. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

Wiring isn't hard, you can do it yourself for a simple rod. Lots of schematics / diagrams on the net.
    For example:
    [​IMG]

9. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

(notice how everything is grounded?

10. duckman rob

duckman rob
    from NW Indiana

We installed a Rebel 9+3 in D's 49 5 window.
    Our first complete wire job, it went it with no surprises.
    Would highly recommend, comes with good set of instruction with pictures.

11. Jims35

Jims35

I used "American Autowire " All wires color coded and labeled every few inches. G.M. style connectors ,switches ect. Very good and lots of instructions, colored wire diagrams.:) JIM

12. 32Gnu

32Gnu

X2 on American autowire!! ^^^

I used kit "highway 15" in my deuce with a flathead, yankee signals, old mech gauges.. Nothing fancy..

I liked the kit, it was the first rewire I did and it all went together well... Pricey though...

13. robertsregal

robertsregal

If you have a chance to see and touch the harness and look at instructions I would recomend that to know what you are buying.I bought keep it clean harness,sounded and looked good from a internet order. This was not the case at all markings on wire very small print and not uniform at all in distance between markings. Instructions very vage and customer service more vage and allusive, its in and working but was a lot more time than I thought would be needed. Take a look at rebel they seem to have good reveiws on the H.A.M.B. and offer a alliance member discount. Good Luck

14. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

i heard nothing but GREAT stuff about rebel wiring,thats who i'm gonna go with,that & i think hamb members get a discount,

15. Yes you do!! 10%

16. I've used Pianless and EZ wiring. Both are good products, and a prefabbed harness is WAY easier than making your own. Regardless of where you get it, my advice :

READ THE DIRECTIONS!

(you know how I know?.......)

17. PeteVS FP NJ

PeteVS FP NJ

Thanks guys! I had always thought of doing a harness on my own, but getting terminals right and all of that?? Un uh. I'll have to spend.

18. jmikee

jmikee
    from washington

American auto wire highway 15 every thing you need is included great instructions.

19. 55delray

55delray
    from Florida

thanks davidbistolas. Great diagram to use as a reference.

20. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

That might be a little too simple. It doesn't include turn signal wiring that most people would like on their cars today.

22. Cerberus

Cerberus

My vote goes to Rebel Wire. I installed the 9 + 3 "Hot Rod" harness. The wires are heavily insulated, and labelled every 6" as to their destination.

Fiberglass cars need a lot of ground wires, and Corvettes do not have a metal body. I ran individual ground wires to the frame on pratically every electrical component, when I installed thr Rebel harness, in my 'glas "special construction" car. It is easier to install the complete harness with the seats removed.

Attached Files: