Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roadster Windshield Height Recommendation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by goleafsgo_12, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Whats your opinions on roadster windshield height for a 30 roadster? I'm making my own frame and upper stanchions and would like some help. I'm 6'2" and I don't want my head sticking out in the wind! It seems like 2 degree outward tilt (towards the sides of the vehicle) and 5 degree rearward tilt for wind deflection is about average, agreed?

Thanks!

2. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Make sure the top bar isn't directly in your line of sight as you drive!

I'm 6'2 as well with a 1931 roadster with a 60's school bus seat and I chopped a stock Deluxe roadster windshield down 2.5" and the damn top bar is right in the middle of my field of vision! Drives me crazy when I'm driving! :mad:

Looks cool when you're outside of the car, though!

[​IMG]

3. Ah nice car, cool picture! The top bar field of vision thing is basically what I'm trying to avoid. The deluxe frames are 13.5" stock, and less your 2.5" would give you a 10" window frame, is that your measurement? Would you reccomend going with a standard 15.25" or an unchopped 13.5" deluxe frame? How high is your seat from the floor to where your ass would be (as it sits, without being in the vehicle)

Thanks!

4. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I'm actually looking at going back to a stock Deluxe windshield, partially because I found a set of 1932 Ford top irons (for $40 at a local swapmeet! :eek:) and I'm thinking about going with a top and full fenders.

I can take any measurement you want when I get home, let me know what you need, including measurements of the windshield frame pieces if you want.

If you end up making a stock Deluxe height one, mind cutting a second set of pieces for me? ;)

5. Hey Scott, that would be great if you could take some measurements for me. Based on what you were saying about the height, I'll probably end up going with a seat as low as possible, and using a delux windshield frame measurement spec.

As for making a custom billet frame, What I will do is machine aluminum round stock by milling a 1/2" wide slot down one side of the material (just like a keyway in a go kart axle or lawn mower blade). 1/8" for gasket material + 1/4" for glass + 1/8" gasket material = 1/2" wide slot. I will make the top and 2 side window frame sections straight (just like a stock roadster frame) and then for the lower curved frame section across the cowl, use a torch and bend the profile to match my tank (while keeping the keyway indexed to it's proper location for glass alignment). The corners will be mitred to 45. I may even make a wooden buck that matches the cowl profile so I can make repeat frames if I chose. Anyhow, I will make you one if you would like, can you weld aluminum? Aluminum is best because you can polish or paint it, and it's easiest to machine.

Some measurements that I'm after are frame tube thickness, window frame slot depth, overall outer frame width and overall outer frame height. Also, I'd like to see a few close up pictures of how the window posts mount to the lower stanchions and the window frame itself, with measurements if possible. This will give me a good all round concept of what steps need to be taken for properly functioning posts and window frame assemblys.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  6. gasheat

gasheat
    from Dallas

Move the seat back and down. Then worry about the windshield. 6'2" is a bunch in a model a.

7. Thanks for that, great guide and very similar to what I'm going to do. I'm surprised that didn't turn up in my search... I'm still looking for opinions on windsheild height however! For those of your out there, do you have standard height or deluxe height windshields??

8. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Build the seat first, then make sure your line of sight is at least a couple of inches below the header bar.

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Why not make a cardboard template, sit in the car and see what happens. Make it stock hieght at first and cut as neccessary.

10. Ya, good idea, I suppose that a 13" windshield could mean something difference in every vehicle depending on seat height. Good tip.

11. You really do want to make sure that you have the driving position as comfortable as possible (seat, steering, etc.) and then make the windshield fit. I am 6'3", and also a member of the "top of the windshield in the line of sight" club with my t-bucket.