Register now to get rid of these ads!

Walt Prey's Work (pin striping)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stringjobs, Aug 10, 2011.

1. stringjobs

stringjobs
    from So Cal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  2. Toa

Toa

Some of these shots bring back tons of memories- thanks for posting.

The last couple of jobs Walt did for me were co-painted by Don (can't remember his last name), who drove an early VW with deep Astros w/ knock-off spinners (they were Walt's in high school) which they big-flaked; before they even got finished with the paint, the bug got ripped off, and they found it minus the Supremes, but they recovered it nonetheless. I understand Walt lives here in Simi Valley someplace. What ever happened to Don?

3. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Walt's work is always a pleasure to see . Thanks for the pics .

4. Muttley

Muttley

That Nomad is awesome.

5. peter johnson

peter johnson

That roof paint is ace,im blown away,WOW!

6. Gator

Gator

7. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

The floral roof is amazing. Never want it on my car, but way cool none the less!

8. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

That's the gypsy rose.

Attached Files:

9. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

The thing I love about gypsy rose is how "hand painted" the roses and leaves look. I have never before or since seen someone do loose work (not taped, or pinstriped-sharp tight lines) like that and make it work. It sort of exudes mexican handi-craftwork and mind-blowing automotive paintwork at the same time.

10. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Yep.

My question....did the veiling or cobwebbing come before or after the hand painting?

11. Lowmerc50

Lowmerc50

Outstanding!!!!!!

12. Muttley

Muttley

Coolest Lowrider ever................I'd love for The Rodders Journal to do a feature on that one.

[​IMG]

13. Toa

Toa

The roses were applied over the veiling after the necessary color-sanding. If I remember right, it took Walt about 5-6 months to do the whole job, even with all the interior, glass, etc. removed. Every bit of black paint on the roses and leaves was put on by hand with a pinstriping brush; he was so adapted to his craft that he would carry on a conversation while doing up all them roses.

14. sixty34me

sixty34me

walt has done some of my favorite lowriders. his work is amazing!

15. slammed

slammed

Yes indeed. And Too Tall writes the article, while Mr. Coonan shoot's the pix.

16. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I third that motion. Some studio and location shots as well as the back story would make for an awesome feature.

Again, like Praisethelowered eluded to, this car has such a warmth. Airbrush murals are part and parcel of most any contemporary lowrider. This car, with it's veiling and hand painted graphics is so well done it surpasses many of the best out there.

It IS my favorite low-wonder of all time!

17. Eryk

Eryk

18. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Sad news indeed , he was an inspiration to a lot of stripers . RIP

19. skullhat

skullhat

that's don heckman. he's currrently working right here at my shop on a few jobs.

we are both very sorry to hear of walts passing as he was a freind and insperation to both of us.
    walt worked out fo my shop for many years and we worked on alot of projects together back in the day. his airplane models were second to none, and are works of art themselves.
    he will be missed.

skull

20. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

21. VonWegener

VonWegener

Sunrise to Sunset - Walt Prey passed away friday at home and yesterday his son cleared out his apartment. Some bags of trash in the dumpster and some great memories loaded into the Nomad. I feel old today.

22. Mr.Bomba

Mr.Bomba

WOW! Really sad to see another legend go! Walt will definately be missed :(

23. Nomadness

Nomadness

I used to watch Walt letter Funny Cars at Bill Carter's when I was a teen. He was truly an amazing talent. My condolences to family and friends. R.I.P Walt...

24. Toa

Toa

Skull, give Don my best (photo below of the "'namel fadaway", to borrow a term from Carter's old shop sign, that Don worked on). I always hoped I'd run into Walt one of these days, as I have a lot of good and humourous memories of hanging out at his "Studio" in the days after he left Bill's shop.

Thanks for everything, Walt...you will be missed.

Attached Files:

25. stringjobs

stringjobs
    from So Cal

The august Low Rider has a great 3 page article about Walt Prey by Joe Ray. Gold Leaf on the pearly white gates. Everyone I know is inspired by Walt's work. Everything he did was to the best of his ability and he set the standard very high. He was the man that at the age of 23 Rocked the world of custom paint when he painted the "Gypsy Rose" a 64 Impala that has become the worlds most famous Low rider ever ! Unannounced to the various worlds he mastered his multi talented artistry carried over to his passion for model building. He was arguably the best pinstripe artist in the world. 8 out of 12 of the cars on the cover of low rider he did last year,he left us at the top of his game. Some of the best we have left are copying (inspired) by his work. Buggs & Danny D to name a few, I can tell by looking at their work must have been heavily influenced by his work.

In between jobs he would build modified race cars and flying model airplanes. The modified 40 fords and 36 Plymouth's were from the out law days when Richie Evens ruled the track. Walt was like an encyclopedic of knowledge when it came to them . He built authentic track winners all hand panted no decals at all. Something like 4 dozen over the years. All wicked, extremely detailed down to the fuel lines and ignition wires.

On top of that he built flying models that could have been front row at the nationals if his his nomad could have made it there to compete. He designed 21 different control line stunt models and many free flight that set the bar for the rest to follow.

He loved the work he did and so did everyone else! He would get so excited when he got a cool car to do and loved to see the reaction when the customer would come to pick it up. That's one of the reasons he went the extra mile on the road less traveled, just to get that OMG that's unbelievable type of reaction .

Walt was my flying buddy and mentor. He was like a brother to me, my best friend, hysterically funny, brutally honest and will always be remembered fondly as one of the most significant people in my life ever. Not a day has gone by without thinking about you my friend. You are sorely missed. RIP

26. slammed

slammed

[​IMG] Another shot of his work. Its a shame, more people would rather look at another parts man bashing thread than here.

27. What a great tribute to your friend.....Well done....

28. mikeprey57

mikeprey57
    from big bear

I am looking for my father Walt Prey's 40 Ford coupe. He has been storing it for years at someones place in Simi Valley or may be north of there. If any one out there knows of it's location or any clue that might help, please let me know. He said the last time he saw the car it had been placed outside and there was a little snow on it. He was bumbed out on how bad the paint was and that the heavy bondo job on the roof was cracked and peeling up. The picture posted is of the him and the 40 taken by the track photographer at Ascott. He was the pace car that night. How bitchen was that for him?! I remember riding in this car with him. It didn't have a back seat and i could crawl all the way back to the trunk area. My brother and I would watch the road surface go by through a hole in the floor pan, and a can of black paint popped open and we got paint all over our clothes. 714-402-1034.

Attached Files:

29. mikeprey57

mikeprey57
    from big bear

Still looking for the 40. I have a good lead. Don Heckman is confident that a long time friend of my dad has it, David Delgado or it could be Delgato. I think Dave was involved with funiture upolstery. If anyone knows how to get ahold of David Delgado let me know.

30. You might try Zaba search....If you knew a city that would help...How's Big Bear, I have a place up there...