Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why Lower ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kerry67, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well, with comment like that, you just dont get it. It isnt about what "cruise night" fags say. Its about driving the car and having fun. I say this 'cause most folks at a "cruise" arent into cars, they are into lawnchairs and $10 trophys.

Stance is everything, like Lownslow said, even the factories show the concepts and protos in lower forms BECAUSE IT LOOKS BETTER!

2. lgh1157

lgh1157

Hey whats up Donnie ? you being all nice and shit :):):):):)

All i gotta say is this :

This has been said so many times on the HAMB - If you love your car, then cool. If you dont wanna lower it - cool.

i'll still give you a year :)

L

3. du$ty

du$ty

negitive about Cheech.....Lowriders....hummm tell the truth...you just dont like them Latinos!

the Love Machine was cooler than most of the shit on here.and at least Pedro drove his car.

4. Von Scott

Von Scott
    from fresno,ca

WTF? Even a pinto looks better lowered. Ok maybe that wasn't a good example........

5. steevil

steevil

not all cars on this board are flat black and it isn't a requirement to have a traditional looking hot-rod.

The slammed cars with huge bling rims and low profile tires don't really fit the bill of a traditional hot-rod either.

It's all about choosing the right elements that create a traditional look; which includes the right stance.

uh, did you actually admit to liking the "jacked up" look from the 70's?
    [​IMG]

6. xadamx

xadamx

OK, I should be drawing for a tattoo right now but decided this would be a good time to say something. Since we are in America, and freedom of speech is a right stated by our founding fathers, every man is entitled to their opinion. But sometimes, under certain circumstances, voicing that opinion can make you look fairly uninformed or just plain stupid...as in this case. This forum is for "traditional hot rods and customs," and everyone who is a part of it takes this style of car and truck seriously. Saying "I think it looks kind of stupid myself..." would be considered an insult to 95% of the people on this board, as lowering a car is a MAJOR part of the custom car and hot rod style, and almost everyone on here has a lowered car(myself included). It looks as though you have 45 posts or so, so you probably already know this, right? As for me, I don't really care if someone thinks my car looks stupid or not, but it is a little annoying to read uneducated comments. A "low-rider" is a totally different(but equally impressive) style of car; and lumping the cars on this site with those that would be found in "Up in Smoke" is almost as uneducated as having 45 posts on this forum, but having to ask "Why lower a car?" Well, we all think cars look much more appealing lowered, some more than others. Do you also think chopping a roof or shaving the door handles looks stupid, I am curious. I hope you don't fall down some stairs...maybe just stub your toe on something or get a papercut.

7. 45 posts and you have to post this dribble? I think you might be on the wrong board.

Donnie...you have exercised AMAZING restraint with your replies. I think you deserve a gold star this week. :D *

8. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

great, now i have to watch cheech n chong

9. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

Man, I hate you.... You keep posting this bull-shit about lowered cars.. You should have learned your lesson last time you posted crap on this board... Leave your car stock height, and shut the hell up..

10. Muttley

Muttley

Why would anyone lower their car when it looks so cool like this:

[​IMG]

BTW this guy wants to know if that blue Camaro is for sale?
    [​IMG]

11. spudz

spudz

Its not really that all cars look bad jacked up in the rear. I like 70s cars jacked up in the rear, cause thats the only way they look good in my opinion. I like 50-60s kustoms slammed, cause in my opinion thats the only way they look good. Its all about opinions... I like cars to be period correct. And YES I like 70s mullet mobiles lol. Here is mine. now keep in mind I also have a 61 t-bird, and 53 chevy that are bein built period trad style, I had the 61 on the road a few years ago but its off while I save up money and gather parts. The 53 has been a slow drawn out few years of parts gathering. I am a CHEAP bastard. REAL CHEAP!!! The air shocks are pumper bro......

12. spudz

spudz

BTW I think another reason people like 70s mullet mobiles is this. They are VERY EASY to build. I mean a 70s camaro body+caprice parts car+air shocks and tractions bars= car road ready for under 1k. Then just farm out the paint and shit. They are good cars for beginners with not much experience fabrication or building. Just like a snap tight model kit. and when you graduate to a real old car, you can part your mullet mobile and sell the body for what you paid for it.

13. I was trying hard not to respond to this thread but I cant help myself anymore. IMHO lowered cars provide a more apealing look because being closer to the ground gives them a sleeker, smoother,faster look. It also removes the empty space beneath the car/truck which usually distracts from the lines and general appearance of the vehicle. As a bonus it also hides the undercarriage which also is often a distraction to the over all lines and geometry of the vehicle.

Lowering a small car...a t-bucket for instance also lends to the race car image and can create the illusion of speed or "look fast" even while sitting still. Lowering a large car...a 50 mercury for instance just provides a more appealing vantage point to see the smooth curves on the car and helps to eliminate right angles as well as the bonuses I mentioned first.

This is just my opinion of course but I challenge you to look for pictures of both the cars I mentioned lowered and in stock height and compare them for eye appeal. If you still believe that stock height is more appealing to you then so be it, we all have different tastes and different styles, but you will find that on this board most will agree that lowering the ride height _does_ improve a vehicles appearance in most cases, unless the vehicle is built to appear from a certain era where the ride height would not be lowered.

Paul

14. evilgenius

evilgenius

way i see it.. with lowering... either you 'get it'... or u don't... nothing to get all yer panties up in a bunch for.

i'm personally a fan of anything that improves a car, makes it look more aggressive, and less like a granny-mobile. just my take.

kerry, give me a nicely sized sharp side shot of your car and you can judge for yourself.

aloha,
    matt

15. Hahahahaaa!! Yup, that's the reason why. :D

16. mule

mule

This roadster that my mates wife owns is getting lifted another couple of inchs at the back, It's the way she likes it, Not my thing but you have to build a rod for you not the guys at the the cruzes who paid someone to do the work.

17. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Way back last century, like a hundred years ago, BellTech had an ad campaign that went like this....."Cure for the common rollover. Lower it". Pictured was a two door, 2wd red full size Blazer. At the time, one of the most prone vehicles to roll. Makes a vehicle like that safer.

18. rlackey

rlackey

I always thought it originated on the salt flats, along with chopping, and channeling for that matter. Could be wrong though, never was very good with history.

Rich

19. dr_amx

dr_amx

IMHO, Simply put lower is better! But I also like the comment that 2wd lower 4wd jacked up that's the way it has been since the dawn of time.

20. Mancuso Mayhem

Mancuso Mayhem
    from Houston

Thats it I'm driving my bel air today with the airbags all the way up .... and maybe just maybe .... a little higher in the back.

21. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

22. Jey

Jey

i like mine low.

if you wanted them stock height why even bother customizing it.

just buy 'em from the factory and call it good..

The lower the better. hence why my truck lays rockers.

23. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

24. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Why? Well because you're an asshat. You keep opening your mouth and the same shit happens. Maybe try shutting the fuck up...

25. outkast

outkast

well, as they say opinions are like assholes everyones got em!! lowered cars just look kool and stand out from the norm of stock height sitting cars and trucks! to say they look kinda stupid sounds like you really dont know whats all that kool in the hot rod world, oh thats just my opinion!!

26. outkast

outkast

27. I dont know If I am more offened by your stupid question or the shit talking about Cheeh & Chong. Try not posting for awhile and see if you really belong here, I bet you will figure out you dont..

28. monsterflake

monsterflake

I get a lot of attention at cruise nights too, but it's probably 'cuz I wear ass-less chaps with no underwear...

29. Mike

Mike

I saw your car at the Pavillions last Sat. night and did look pretty good, but those wheels and tires do have to go, they're awful. Those wheels and tires would be at home on a roundy'round Camaro or an F150 with a "Cowboy Up" decal on the back window, but they're not right for your heap.

I personally gravitate more toward the hot rod side of things rather than the custom side. My '57 Ranch Wagon sits on a nice rake with chrome OEs and www's, my '59 Biscayne sits on a nice rake with chrome reverse and blackwalls and my '63 Impala sits nose high with 15"x3.5" slots and black walls up front and 15"x7" white steelies and black wall cheater slicks in back. All three of these heaps are prime fodder for the lowered custom / low rider look (and they would look killer done that way), but my personal preference dictates that they have more of a hot rod / race car stance.

Sometimes, cars that lay frame do just look broken to me and the bling bling wagon wheel shit is right fucking out. However, a slammed car done right will look fucking great. An excellent example of this is Donnie's (lownslow) Olds. It's mighty hard to argue with the way that machine looks and sits.

30. lownslow

lownslow

SOMETIMES i am nice ......hahaha .....i get a gold star .hahaha fuck you fuckers !!!!! hahahaha ......uhhhhhh so much my being nice huh ? do still get my star ? ...DOH!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.