Register now to get rid of these ads!

can any one around columbiana ohio help???chrysler guys ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tattoos by brandon, Sep 22, 2011.

1. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

i need to lower the front of my 1959 chrysler newyorker and i have no clue how to with the torsion bar suspention ...i have been told how but i dont want to mess anything up or hurt my self ...if any one lives in the area and is knowledgeable about the older mopar front ends and could help me it would be very needed and appreciated ..anything ells i can tackle on my own but this i want to have some help on this ...thanks guys hope some one out there is from around here and can help a newcomer to the custom rods

2. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

3. all you need to do is spray the 3/4 headed bolt in the middle of the lower control arm with weazelpiss (wd-40 etc) for a couple of days and then put an 1/2 inch rachet and maybe a breaker bar to it loosen to lower tighten to raise its easier with the weight off the front wheels (AND SAFER) THE ONLY REAL FEAR FACTOR IS BREAKING THE BOLT (thats why its better with no wieght on the wheels ) if the bolt breaks the bar INSTANTLY unwraps and slams to the ground not fun had it happen to me on an o/t mopar

loosen the bolt some sit the car back down bounce it 3 times to settle the wieght and measure if you want more drop jack it back up and repeat till ya get it where ya want it

i recomend doing one side at a time

its really not a big deal

4. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

ok cool thanks for the input my friend that started doing it for me unbolted the front shock and was saying the ball joint had to come out to do it and somthing about moving it one notch on the pin? or something ...i have no clue as it sits right now is with the shock unbolted to the botoem a arm and the bolt on the front of the frame? or cross-member is almost all the way loss... i can post pics tomorrow around noon

5. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

There's a SAFETY issue here. Whatever you do, don't get under the car and let the torsion bar(s) loose. A friend of mine lowered an OT '73 Charger by letting off ONE quarter-turn, then retightened it. He did NOT do this by himself, and I think they put it up on a lift and adjusted both sides carefully with jacks, while on the lift.

Also, don't torch the torsion bars, same as not torching coil springs. I myself had BOTH torion bars on my OT '76 Cordoba SNAP one-by-one, and I DO NOT know it they had ever been torched.

So please don't be in a hurry. Hopefully, some MoPar HAMBers know the RIGHT way to do this.

6. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

thanks for the warning im gonna put it back together and tighten it up and let it to the ground and see if it has changed ..im hoping some one reads this and lives close to help or supervise but all this input it helping and i appreciate it alot guys thanks !!!!

7. torsion bars allmost allways break while cornering or sitting still on the driveway (i did say almost)

the first mopar i lowered was a 69 charger i did it alone in the garage with the car siting flat on the ground (dont do this) as i turned the bolt is started banging it was unnerving but i was lucky and didnt have any problems after doing this on the charger i figured out better ways of doing it

as i said in my first post i do it one side at a time and with the wheel your doing off the ground and as ive said ive only had one of the bolts break it broke on my uncles roadrunner after i rebuilt his front suspension and i was just tighting the bolt to achieve the ride height im glad it was off the ground with a
    jackstand under it

it doesnt make sence too loosen the ride height bolt then tighten it all you would be doing is lowering the car then raising it again

you dont need to remove any front end parts to adjust the ride height IF you lower it too far you may need to have it re-aligned to re adjust the caster /camber

just make sure to spray the bolt with some penetrating oil not only to break the rust thats bound to be there but to lubricate the bolt

8. did some mention to first loosen the big nut that holds the lower control arm in (directly in line with the torshin bar) ???

9. OLDSKEWL61

OLDSKEWL61

Im over that way offten sicrick tatoos me I can leand a hand next weekend

10. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

that would be awesome if u could ...i know Ricky hes a good dude i stop in once in a while thats my home town ...but yeah im off on sunday and sat i work noon till 9pm so if u could make it some time that would be a great help ...pm me and i can send u my cell # thanks !!!!

11. 73RR

73RR

...you might want to invest in a service manual....

12. mopar362000

mopar362000

Bradon the old chrysler adjust at the rear of bar there is abracker on the bar with a bolt through the crossmember message me a # if u have any ?s or email # to [email protected] u lower it to much u will not get your camber to align.

13. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

how much can i lower it with the stock chamber adjustments? i need close to 3 inch ... my a arm mounts on top of my frame so i was gonna make a bracket so i can extend it out to give me the chamber i need

14. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

im still trying to learn about this some more before i do anything but like i said my friend already started doing stuff to it but i cant thank every one enough for the help so far ...with out it i would be screwed !! thanks !!!!!