Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects my 47 ford best money i spent

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daviscfad, Sep 23, 2011.

1. daviscfad

daviscfad
    from rr nc

so I have had this for a week now and i am really excited about it. I had a 46 that needed to much work. This one needs a lot of work also but looks like a show car compared. Most everything is solid but it will need a trunk pan and rockers on both sides. It has the flatty in it and the 3 speed on the tree. The guy i bought it from is a fellow hamber and i met him last year when i bought a 39 deluxe from him.

Anyway, the flatty runs and the biggest issue was it needed brakes and the steering column was stuck. I sprayed some penatrating oil on it and greased the fitting where it hadnt been greased since the later half of 1947. The shifter went to working good. I washed the outside and cleaned the interior.

On sunday i changed the master cylinder and got nothing when i tried to bleed the brakes. The lines were so rusty i went on and replaced them. So last night i finished up the new lines and wa la i got brakes!. Well after taking it around the block i decided i would drive it to work this morning, Only a half mile a way. She drove fine and stopped fine.

I have a fuel tank on order b.c the old one is probably to much trouble to clean. I am actually running on a little gallon can under the hood. anyway not much more to say for now but i will try to keep updates. I have had a grin on my face every time i get in it and had a lot of people staring it down. The girlfriend said it looked like a family ride but once she took a ride she like it a lot. here are some pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. daviscfad

daviscfad
    from rr nc

3. daviscfad

daviscfad
    from rr nc

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

cool-hope you can save upholstery - new tank is a good investment

5. daviscfad

daviscfad
    from rr nc

once i get the tank installed my next quest is getting the lights redone and working on the 12 volt system. after i get the light working i would like to get the v-8 sounding good. what do you guys recommend? its just stock stuff on it i believe

6. A nice pair of Brockmans would make that flatty sound great. X2 on keeping the interior!!

7. RAY With

RAY With

Old school all the way and you made a good buy. A step at a time and soon you will be trucking down the road. I havea 46 and daily driver and wouldnt trade for nothing.
    You may want to change out the gas line or start the replacement before your tank gets here. There steel and rust pretty bad. Also a good time to WD40 the gas tank bolts so it will be an easy replacement. While you got the tank out check the condition of the wire harness at the tank and rear taill lights and if bad there easy to make. Good luck on your purchase.

8. 53 hemi

53 hemi

nice car - congrats

also hope you can save the interior

i'm a litle partial to straight pipes

keep an eye on your wheel cylinders, and because of personal experience, make sure your e brake ( tranny band ? ) is adjusted. i lost a wheel cylinder on a single pot mc system once.

again, pretty sweet ride.

9. screwball

screwball

I ran duels with glass packs on my 47 for years no other sound like it.

10. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

awesome car , looks like agreat project , / driver

11. daviscfad

daviscfad
    from rr nc

I actually took my neighbor around the block and the car just cut off going down the road. I am not sure what the deal with that was b.c it started right up when i tried to crank it. Any ideas on what might have caused that

12. Sweet ride! Try to keep the upholstery if you can. Flattie with glass packs is music all it's own. Enjoy your red!

13. rod rialto

rod rialto
    from rialto, ca

Elvira mistress of the dark would love that interior!

14. 53 hemi

53 hemi

I know very little, but I would start checking electrical connections.

15. Should you decide to go with duals give Jim a call @ reds headers in cal.
    Nice ride. I still have fond memories of my 48 vert.

16. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

JMO keep the interior. Look for some bad grounds for the shut down problem. Put on some Reds headers and Brockman glasspacks.

17. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

New gas tank and gas lines. Chase the electricals till you got them all tied down. Dual exhaust with Porters or Brockmans, (inch and three quarters is big enough). Then exercise the vehicle regularly.
    Sounds like a good recipe to me.

18. lunchboxscuff

lunchboxscuff
    from Ojai,ca

19. daviscfad

daviscfad
    from rr nc

Thanks guys for the kind words. I figured it was an electrical problem but my initial thought was that i was out of gas. One more thing and maybe it will change when i put the tank on. It smells rather gassey when you drive it. I figure it might be the gallon jug in front of the radiator

20. daviscfad

daviscfad
    from rr nc

So what is the best stuff to use for fuel line? Is it something ill need to order or can i pick it up at parts store

21. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Hope you go for wide whites with a "speedboat" stance in the future. These cars look best like that IMO. Also, that interior is way cool, hope you keep it. Good luck and keep us posted!!

22. daviscfad

daviscfad
    from rr nc

just an update. i got the fuel line installed and i also got the headlights and taillights working. tags have been on it for a few weeks and i am driving with style. The next biggest issue i have is steering. i dont know if its just me but if i run around 40 and up i am all over the road. Its like my steering is to loose. i am not going to keep the original suspension so i hated to spend to much on buying parts but it looks like to be safe i may need to buy some. anyone else have this problem? Do i just need to get used to driving it

23. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

24. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I've rode shotgun in many questionable interiors. THAT gives me the creeps.

25. daviscfad

daviscfad
    from rr nc

anyone know the best place to buy front suspension parts?

26. daviscfad

daviscfad
    from rr nc

well the car is at the muffler shop getting dual exhaust put on

27. that thing is rad.. clean it up and call it done . drive her

28. daviscfad

daviscfad
    from rr nc

I have decided to keep everything close to original. I was going to take all the chrome off and French the lights but decided to just use modern suspension and fix the body work. Keep everything close to original. These cars are very nice looking fixed up and its a shame there undervalued. Its drives great and is a ton of fun