Register now to get rid of these ads!

Overpainting Logo,i need HELP to get it back

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steverod, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Steverod

Steverod

Hi everybody

I have problem and didnt find the right issue to get the logo back.
    I own the 41 COE Ford that was rebuild to a offical Coca Cola truck from the company.when he was sold they overspray the logo like you can hardly see on the picture:mad:

My question is: is there a way to get the color off.It was don by a spray can

Thanks for any help
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

There is probably a better way but some mineral spirits and a rag may work.

3. Steverod

Steverod

thank you for you idea
    I am open for every other idea

4. nofin

nofin
    from australia

You could try colour sanding it back until you hit the signwriting. Very fine paper used wet.

5. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

i'm with junkyard kid, mineral spirits is a relatively weak chemical as opposed to acetone, laquer thinner etc. it might take longer but you wont risk going too far as much. if the mineral spirits dont do it try some goof off, test it on an unseen spot first tho to make sure its not too aggressive.

6. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

i would try the wet sand as mentioned, the spirits might go too far. or ruin the paint completely.

7. silamanajik

silamanajik
    from Illinois

Try a claybar with some soapy water, the new rattlecan paint will be softer than the old logo paint and should come off first.

8. Anything made for removing graffiti may do the trick - presuming the Coke logo is painted on and not a decal. For that matter, EZ-Off oven cleaner could do it - presuming you have that, or some equivalent to it. But I'd try that as a last resort, it could be too agressive and take the logo with it.

9. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

If you use the Easy Off Method, (yellow can, not the blue one) apply it to a small spot and then remove it with water. Dry it thoughly and inspect the progress. Longer durations may remove one layer at a time.

Be careful not to soften the Coke script, alternate areas and let it dry for a day if necessary.

Caution; I have removed lettering this way and many times the painted lettering will simply slide off the door onto the floor in one piece. Other times it will disolve the pigments.

If you chose to use lacquere thinner, apply in the same quick on and off method and let dry if it softend the logo. finish up with 1000 sand paper using your fingers only on the offending paint areas.A little at a time will do the job. Plan on spending up to a few hours on each door.

One word of caution!!! do not use oven cleaner on a blue or yellow painted surface!!! It will change the color of the surface.

10. fibertech

fibertech
    BANNED

DO NOT use EZ-Off, it is very corrosive to ALL paint (as well as your lungs and skin) and you will have a hard time telling how deep it is working until it is too late. I would go along with the mineral spirits and elbow grease. You can stop it's effect quickly with soap and water. you might start with that and finish with the claybar/soapy water trick. Do not use the Purple stuff either that used to be made by Castrol, it does the same thing as EZ-Off just not as toxic.

11. Steverod

Steverod

Thank you all for your help.really that is great.
    I tried today with cellulose thinner,and i didnt get any good result .
    Claybare will maybe the next try .

I am open for every good advice.
    I love this hamb

12. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

That logo is not going to "come back" , because you've painted over it. Paint is made to stick to what it's applied on , not to come off. Find yourself a qualified sign guy and have him paint the logo back on , should'nt be that big a deal .

13. Noah*

Noah*

Find a sign guy and have it re-lettered.

14. henry29

henry29

The logo didn't go anywhere, that spray paint will come right off.

15. speedfreek155

speedfreek155

Some good ideas here , if you do go the abrasive route , of course use the least damaging method first . Clay , a light compound , chemicals are non selective , they will remove or damage everything they touch . If you work the paint over the logo the area around it should be a piece of cake . Good Luck

16. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

Don't tell that to these guys! :rolleyes:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=76072&highlight=logo+paint+removal

"Uncovering" old logos and getting back to original paint has been big in the VW scene the last few years. Read through this thread to see what guys are doing.

17. Jack60

Jack60
    from Maryland

Wet sand very fine paper, then light compound will work......

18. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Attached Files:

• max7.jpg
      max7.jpg
      File size:
      28.3 KB
      Views:
  19. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ