Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. easter

easter

The #29 is Dick Hutcherson and is believe the #7 is Lewis Taylor driving his own 1967 Plymouth.

2. baldtireman

baldtireman

Don't worry,Brian. Only pulling your leg. Your video sharing is much appreciated by this guy,and I hope you continue to "share your toys" with those of us less fortunate.By the way, wheat toast and marmalade are great additions to the peanut butter and banana sammy! Now,about those Rita and Rosie photos.......:p

3. revjimk

revjimk
    from Denver

I've been to mucho car museums the past year, EMMR is great, Garlits is awesome, but the best may be Speedy Bill's museum in Lincoln, Nebraska. Tried to go on my way East this summer, missed the 2pm guided tour (only way to see it). Driving back to Denver from Knoxville Sprint nationals, which were over Sat. nite, had a day to kill (tours only M-F, 2pm), so I had a fine ole time Sunday at wingless sprint races in Grain Valley, Missouri. Monday headed up Hwy 29 from KC to Omaha, huge detour due to flooding, missed it again! Decided to stay another day (Lincoln is an interesting town, good blues at Zoo Bar, good cajun food at Buzzard Billy's)... IT WAS WORTH ALL THE HASSLE.... absolutely amazing stuff for gearheads, put it on your list!

4. Just make sure you don't replicate that infamous leaking gas tank....BTW which version/year are you building?

5. re post #15894, pg. 795. The car pictured with the trophy that is for sale is not the
    ex E. George & A.J. car. The car in pic is the ex Beatson driven before by J.Rutherford. The A.J. car was #62 when owned by Wagner. The real ex A.J. car is
    @ pg 793, post 15860, last pic. Also, see USAC History, 1965, page 83 & 99.
    mlight9.

6. Buildy

Buildy

Josh,between this car and the Big Miller you are working on,some exciting iron!

That is Harlan Fengler in the shot of Chassis and engine,and the one looking back toward the tail. Not sure if he set the car up for Durant,could very well be...

I also note that the Chassis in 1926 was called a Fengler. Is there any difference in the chassis from that of a standard Miller?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  7. easter

easter

I like how a lot of old racing photos on ebay get titled something like: "IndyNascarFoytSprintCarDaytonaMidgetAutoRacingVintageCollectableRare". I guess they're trying to cover all the bases. However, I think most of them just don't know any difference.

8. Dick L

Dick L

Is the 7 car Irv Janney?

9. tractorguy

tractorguy

Picture looks like Irv Janey from Cedar Rapids.

10. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, Josh. For proving once again that there are still some craftsmen around.

11. The recent comments regarding roll bars on vintage race cars; and my wanting to share a recent photo of my car on the clay at Santa Maria Speedway CA, prompted this post.

I'm often asked why I have a roll bar on an old race car. Many remark that, "It ruins the look!" My reply is always: "70 to 80 years ago these cars were fast; and damned dangerous! The years haven't made them any more safe!"

Unfortunately, most of these old warriors languish in museums, or are in the hands of collectors, being viewed as static relics of yesterday; or valued as investments. A dwindling few of us bring them out to run them for the entertainment of speed enthusiasts. The folks who come to the track want to get an idea of what these cars look like and sound like at speed. Spectators don't want to see a "parade". As my wife says: "They want to sense a little testosterone".

I'm certain that my driving doesn't get all that this car has; but, as you cam see by the photo, we DO "hang it out".

[​IMG]

12. Dick
    Here,s good ol Russ Laursen in the George Dabruzzi car at the Fair in 66 and next to him as fate would have it is the 62 car of Scratch that Russ would come to own in late 69 and meet a very untimely end a Fairmont in Sept of 70.
    Will have more on the 62 later.

Attached Files:

13. Dick L

Dick L

I wasn't at Fairmont that day but I heard it was bad. I worked on a Late Model (Dodge Super Bee) that Russ drove for awhile, never could get used to those fenders though!!

14. Dick
    A little fast forward to the Fair in 72 I think, the 62 car comes back as Ronnie Larson,s rocket, see that little scoop inside the cage, have some images from the IMCA race in 70 at Chippewa Falls when Russ had the 96 number on the old Traco girl, they may take a few weeks to find.
    This is my Image the previous image of Russ at the fair was a Jim Wyllie photo.

15. This is better.

Attached Files:

16. fl 68

fl 68

On Sept. 3 2001 page 786 Dick L posted a few photos. One of the photos is of a yellow #53
    car that was built by a person by the name of Schnieder. I purchased this car about a year ago out of Calif but have no history on the car. Can anyone give me any info they might have on this car. It is a little strange because it has a
    Ford 351 as a engine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Ed

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  17. daveww1

daveww1

Back to the EMMR Museum
    [​IMG]

18. daveww1

daveww1

19. daveww1

daveww1

20. daveww1

daveww1

21. daveww1

daveww1

22. daveww1

daveww1

23. easter

easter

The pictures and story above paint John Gerber as a genius. I believe it 100%. But, what about his courage? Take a long look at that ride - that's a chopped tractor that went faster than my first two cars. I think it's safe to say that his ass was literally on the line every time out. "Fanny Porker"? I would have shot someone for that. How about: "Balls Gerber?" That's more like it.

24. easter

easter

[​IMG]

daveww1 - I was very impressed with the John Gerber info. I found this photo of him at a race lineup. That's him 2nd from the left and standing behind his car. Below is the link.
    http://winfield.50megs.com/Hobart.htm

25. daveww1

daveww1

More EMMR Museum.
    [​IMG]

26. daveww1

daveww1

27. daveww1

daveww1

28. daveww1

daveww1

29. daveww1

daveww1

30. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

The second car i drove; the Hilligas built Sprinter, had both a foot brake and hand brake. I usually only used the hand brake; it was just more convenient to me.
    I raced that car from 1965 until 1971.
    Car was known as the Dutch Culp Offy.