Register now to get rid of these ads!

63 Falcon convert

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dick36, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Dick36

Dick36
    from NYS

Can anyone supply a photo of how the convert top cylinders are mounted. There was no pump or cylinders when I got it. I found some used ones that work but can't figure out how the cylinders mount to the chassis. If I could see how they mount I am sure I could fabricate them.

2. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

Sorry, my car is a hundred miles away right now at my Dad's place. I really don't remember exactly how they were mounted. I did the work on that car in the 80s so I can't even remember actually taking them out. I may not have, thinking that I don't recall needing to bleed the system either

3. Dick36

Dick36
    from NYS

Thanks for the reply.

4. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

I have a '65 repair manual. I know the '65 cylinders were different. It looks like they mounted at the top of the cylinder. There are a couple dead end holes on the housing at the very top. The hose attaches at the top as well. Do your cylinders have similar mounting points or do your cylinders have some sort of mount at the bottom? Looking at the '65 picts makes me think more that I didn't remove the cylinders from the car. The '65 mounting for the shaft coming out of the car looks similar to what I recall the '63 looking like -- may be some minor differences but looks very similar.

Let me know and I can scan the page from this book if you are interested.

5. Dick36

Dick36
    from NYS

I have the 1960,61,62 manual with the 1963 upgrade and the 1965 manual. The 65 appears to be differant than the 63. The 63 manual has some photos but they are poor quality and don't show enough detail. I have a photo of what I have but haven't yet figured out to post it. The cylinders natuarally have a hose to each end and no mount of any kind on the bottom. The top where the shaft protrudes has a blind threaded hole on each side of the cylinder housing. Bolted to one side of the cylinder in one of these holes is a flat plate approximately 3/16 thick X 2"X 3". This plate has a hole on each end of the long side. One of these holes is where the plate is attached to the cylinder. There are also 2 more holes in the plate about 1/2 way between the 2 end holes. These are spaced close to each edge. It appears that all 3 of these holes have been used to mount the cylinder.

6. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

I will be at my Dad's place this weekend to do some duck hunting. I will see if I can get a look and some picts of how it is mounted.

The picts in the '65 manual that I have made it look like the cylinder is basically suspended by the 2 blind holes. It looked like it would have 2 nylon bushings insert in there and some sore of plate on either side with a nub that would slide into the holes. This would allow it to pivot. Does the plate on your cylinder seen to pivot in the hole?

7. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

http://store.convertibleparts.com/63falccyl.html

Check this out. Do your cylinders look like this, I assume not because your description suggests a top pivot cylinder. Looking at this pict I have some vague memories. I now think I may have pulled them loose when I replaced the inner rocker panels on my car. I don't think I pulled them out of the car, just loose so that they didn't get damaged or it may have had to do with the brackets down in there and attachment tot eh inner rocker.

8. Dick36

Dick36
    from NYS

No, my cylinders do not have the hole on the bottom.

9. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

Bad news, my Dad parked the car for the winter and he doesn't have access to it until spring. I am not positive, but I think you cylinders should have the holes at the bottom. Does your car look like it has a bracket down at the bottom of the where the top goes into the side that the cylinder could attach to? Hopefully one of the other Falcon guys can confirm this since I don't have my car available.

10. Dick36

Dick36
    from NYS

Yes, It has a U shaped bracket on the floor toward the front of the bottom rear seat mount. I suspected these were the wrong cylinders that is why I would like to see a photo. I have a lead on a 63 convert that is being parted out. I'll try to get there this week. Thanks

11. Old Dog

Old Dog

Dick,
    If your lead does not pan out I have an extra pair of the correct cylinders you would need. Do you also need the attaching hardware? Let me know.