Register now to get rid of these ads!

Traditional Overdrive Transmissions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boryca, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

I am in need of information on what types of overdrive transmissions and/or OD units were used to back up a 59AB. It resides in a 35 1/2 ton, with a truck 3 spd currently. I want a bit better cruise speed out of it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Closed torque tube drive? If so only options I am aware of are aftermarket set-ups. You probably have 4.11 gears in the rearend, you might go to slightly taller gear, but that is not OD.

If you have open drive, then the late 40's early 50's Ford flatheads had OD trans, known as the Borg Warner OD. I would suggest a newer S-10 T-5 as better option if you have open drive. Better shifting than the old trans have.

3. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

4. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Thanks for the input. I'm really not digging the T5 or modern OD on this build. Put one in an OT pony car behind a 289 and it works fine, love the OD, but I'd rather go with something relating more to the period.

I know there's some guys on here with (bolt on?) units behind their transmissions. Maybe someone will pipe up with an opinion.

5. [​IMG]

Sorry for the big pic- Volvo M41 overdrive might be an idea.

6. jetmek

jetmek

afaik the only od set up for torque tube is 40's lincoln ( very hard to find one) and youll have to shorten the ttube any way . mite as well convert to open drive set up...

7. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

taller tires

8. I think he's talking about the Borg Warner setup shoebox Fords had.

9. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Yes, something of that nature. After a bit of research that is more along the lines of what I'm looking for. Are there other options out there as well, or is that pretty much what I need to be looking at?

Thanks for the input.

Mike

10. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

The borg warner 3 sp OD from a later flathead ford would be your best bet, but you would need to conver to open driveline. Someone on here, can't remember who, did a t5 conversion but made it work with their torgue tube setup. Search for that and see if it looks feasable to you. He used one outta a jeep if I remember

11. Columbia two speed rear is traditional

12. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

That was just about it "back in the day". I've heard that some of the moonshiners wouldn't leave home with out one.

13. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

I've got the Lincoln Zephyr setup that bolts directly to your engine but would require shortening your drive shaft and torque tube. It's a Borg-Warner O.D. very similar to those used in the '49 & up Fords and Mercs (Which would also require drive shaft/torque tube alteration.) You can have it for a nominal fee but-"some assemby required". As far as your basic question: "--were used to back up a 59AB"; none. The Columbia rearend was the most common way to obtain overdrive in torque tube Fords.

14. There was an article in Street Rodder magazine last summer about these transmissions. I think a Columbia rear axle would be pretty pricey.

15. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

You need a Lloyd Young set up, he puts old ODs from the late 50s/early 50s right into torque tubes. I had one behind a 21 stud flatty and it worked like a dream!

His contact info is: 4915 Lithopolis-Winchester Road, Canal Winchester, OH 43110. 614-837-7832

16. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Dale, I may take you up on that. And thanks for the info; this is as much a history lesson as a search for parts, so I appreciate any input on the subject.

17. Troy H.

Troy H.
    from Canada

I am not sure if this is acceptable or not, but I have a Ford top loader OD transmission and a Studebaker od transmission that I will probably need as soon as I sell them...

PM me if you need details...

18. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Possibles for early Ford:
    '41-48 Lincoln...$$$, will need frame mods...side shift only for all practical purposes
    Columbia...$$$, plus it's expensive...
    T5 Conversion is available for torque tube
    People have converted Ford toploader versions to TT, can be done with the 3/4 speed OD version, floor conversion possible for $$$
    Driveshaft BW...good rig but requires considerable work, somewhat rare parts
    Mitchell TT overdrive...$$, but is a bolt-in that comes ready in a new TT. Cost might look good compared to a Columbia or one of the conversions requiring extensive machining plus TT and frame mods