Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is this hanging off the coil?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frosty21, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

Picked up a 250 6-cylinder out of a 67 Camaro for my '54 F100. Was checking it out a little closer and found this.

Is it a resistor of some kind? I can't find anywhere for another wire to connect into it though. Side, bottom, anywhere.

I've never scratch wired anything with points before, so this is a little new to me.

[​IMG]

2. brayrod

brayrod

It looks like a noise suppressor for the radio.

3. 61falcon

61falcon

that looks like a noise suppressor. it keeps ignition noise out of the radio.

dam, you treed me.

4. Noise suppressor for a radio. Simply grounded case and wire to coil.

Cosmo

5. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

Okay. Haha. It freaked me out for a minute.

6. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

How would I go about wiring up the hot wire for the coil to a toggle switch for the points. Just a resistor in the wire before the points?

7. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

Guess I had a moment of stupidity. Resistor inline to the points, 12v from the starter to the coil for more spark during cranking.

8. The starter should have a terminal on it marked 'I'. from there you run a wire to the + side of the coil. This gives you a full 12v during cranking, when you let the key off it goes back to the wire fed through the resistor

9. When this condensor goes bad it can be a nightmare for an inexperianced technician to diagnosis a no-start condition. If you don't have a am-fm radio, you may not need it......