Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chopping a 1934 thru 1936 International

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Xtrom, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

I had some questions about how I chopped my 1935 IH cab so I thought I would post some pics. This was the first of two cabs that I did. The key is to get everything straight and squared up as well as you can before you start. Everything should be the same for all 34-36 cabs except the doors on a 36. I went 3 3/4" on mine because that is what I felt would be comfortable for my application. (And that is what you get when you double up two pieces of 1 7/8" painters tape!) I left the roof stock and just leaned the windshield posts back a couple degrees. This makes a perfect fit at the windshield to the cowl almost impossible unless you cut the posts below the body line. I also only took an inch or so out of the back window. Just the amount that it is straight in order to make it easier to fit the garnishing back in and line everything up. Any questions or comments feel free.

Attached Files:

2. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

More...

Attached Files:

3. bct

bct

looks good ....i have one of them cabs and would like to know what is different on the 36doors....i'm not sure of the year of mine. thanks and keep up the good work.

4. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

34 and 35 have wood structure in the doors while 36 was the only year that the structure was made of steel. The back of the cab in all years has a wood substructure however. 36's also have an X with a O in the middle stamped across the lower half of the back of the cabs

bct likes this.

5. 72IH

72IH

I only went 2" on mine.

What are you doing for the floor? I got a 312 Y block in mine and it sits right up against the cowl. Had to cut out a bit of the firewall to clear the bellhousing.

I had an under seat fuel tank I was hoping to re-use but I don't think my drive line will clear it now.

6. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

I channeled it 3" over the frame and used school bus seat bottoms for the seat. It has a keg on the back for a tank. Most of the transmission sticks up above the floor. The floor is made from an old Sinclair sign that I only had half of. I trimmed my firewall to clear the TH350 also.

7. ty johnson

ty johnson

Thanks for posting this. I'm currently measuring and getting ready to do some cutting tonight. Do you think it is easier with leaning the windshield back versus stretching the roof?

8. 72IH

72IH

On my IH I didn't change any window angles. I only went 2" tho and more would look, well, more betta.

I like his chop better than mine and should have done what he did. I'm still messing around with doors, the floor and the rear suspension. Got a long way to go yet.

I love to see these IHs that people are building. Pretty unique trucks.

Keep the pics coming of the trucks.

Good work by the way Xtrom!

9. ty johnson

ty johnson

Started my chop tonight. Still need to fit the widow frames and finish the posts.
    [​IMG]

10. jdsludge

jdsludge

I've seen one that left the roof and the windshield in same angle, but chopped the doors vertical to shorten the cab by an inch or so. looks good but loss of leg room,and tricky hiding weld on doors! Haven't decided to chop mine yet. What do yall think?

Attached Files:

11. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

The reason a lot of people like these cabs over the Fords of the same vintage is that besides being cheaper to aquire they are 4 inches longer (meaning more legroom). I also saw a truck that left the roof and windshield but shortened the doors. This makes them out of proportion in my opinion and requires a lot of additional welding besides the loss of legroom. I personally thing if you are hot rodding one of these cabs they should be chopped at least a couple inches! Nice start Ty!

12. 32 hudson

32 hudson

Yep a 2 inch chop would do it.

13. bct

bct

thanks for the info , mine has wood in the doors unfortunately. its in great shape and i have the grill shell , no window frame tho...looks like a fun ride.

14. 72IH

72IH

I have a set of extra door and both have wood and metal posts. Dont have my doors chopped yet. I got one of them chopped but the just the shell. Dont have the framing done on it yet.

I cut my A-post 2 inches just about in the middle.

15. ty johnson

ty johnson

4"s out of this one.
    [​IMG]

16. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

Looks good!

17. ty johnson

ty johnson

Thanks for the pics and the thread. The only thing i really did different was cut the windshield pillar at a angle as well. I think this will make the windshield seal up fine. Ran out of gas for the welder to weld up the doors. Be out in the garage this weekend gettin' err done though.

18. The guy that built the 34 International I had kept the stock size rear window when he chopped the roof,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. likes ihs

likes ihs
    from petaluma

on my 34 International I chopped the top 6", had to lengthen the top almost an inch. took 3" out of the rear window. then channeled the cab 3". it still has lots of headroom/legroom

20. 4 and 1/2 inches outta mine

Attached Files:

21. jdsludge

jdsludge

I'm thinking of chopping mine by chopping the top 4" then chopping the doors vertically to bring the back forward about an inch this keeps the windshield pillar the stock angle.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  22. jdsludge

jdsludge

I did the door chop method, no hard work went easy!:) took 4" out of the top, shortened the door 5/8". everything lined up perfect except the windshield frame had to be spread a little. A hi-lift jack came in handy for that!

Attached Files:

23. bct

bct

lookin good.

24. Bart78

Bart78

[​IMG] the guy that has this one says it's a 36. It's for sale but wants to much.

25. Bart78

Bart78

Sorry bout the pic

26. bct

bct

thats alittle newer than 36

27. Bart78

Bart78

I have never really looked at the internationals don't see them enough. And I did not stick around that long to look much. When he started telling me prices I left prety quick. The guy had some cool stuff but has watched way to much tv car auctions.

28. jdsludge

jdsludge

I agree, looks like a '37. Although it could be 36 that was late in production. I've seen some of those listed as '36's