Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody use Sea Foam

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jack60, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Jack60

Jack60
    from Maryland

Blew my motor up in the Vette, long story short, pulled a 283 I had in my 55 Cameo. I bought it 25 years ago, out of a 66 Impala, did nothing to it, she hasn't run in 20+ years. Cleaned it up, lots of sludge under intake and valve covers, pan looked clean.
    Well she smokes a lot, to be expected, replaced valve seals and umbrellas, still smokes.....
    Put Lucas oil treatment in, may have helped a little, changed oil, now trying Sea Foam, I know the engine needs a rebuild but I have no money at this time, any suggustions................:D

Here are some pic's of the blow up and the 283 to keep the Vette rolling for now.............:cool:

Attached Files:

2. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

I have a 53 Pontiac straight 8 that sat for 35 years. when I got it running the valves would stick when I revved it up. Put a quart of seafoam in the oil, and then dumped a quart down the carb while running and it freed up the stuck valves. 4000 miles later with no problems.

Rob

3. Jack60

Jack60
    from Maryland

I don't thing anything is stuck, she just smokes a lot, runs fine...
    I know she needs a rebuild but it just sucks so much that she smokes....:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

4. I use it by the gallon. Tractor Supply. It stabilizes gasoline, flush oil, unsticks valves. I also run it in everything diesel. My cabin has atvs go karts, all the toys, have left them sit for 7-8 months, they fire right up.

5. mikesplumbing

mikesplumbing
    from Midwest

I put it in the oil of my 98 Jeep and it worked so well oil is leaking everywhere. All the seals are leaking now and it took 3 days.

The funny part is I did it just because I thought it would be a good thing to do.:D

Mike

6. fordsteel

fordsteel
    from Elkland PA

i use i to purge my diesel but that is all i have used it for

7. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

It sounds like you have a lot of blow by, on the rings, I have had good luck with "motor honey" its in the oil additive section in the auto parts store. It will thicken up the oil and cause less blow by on the rings, I would use it with a thicker oil like 20/50 or straight 30. Now this is no fix but it will stop the smoke till you can rebuild it.

As for Sea Foam a great product as a fuel additive I also like marvels mystry oil for fuel related issuses

MrC

8. DocsMachine

DocsMachine
    from Alaska

I usually don't go for "snake oil" additives apart from the occasional can of HEET or equivalent, and the regular doses of ZDDP during oil changes. But, I just had a small success story with SeaFoam...

Sounds like a commercial, doesn't it? :D

Anyway, I recently bought another '66 Olds Toronado, that hadn't been started for over 25 years- it was last registered in 1984. I got it running, but it had what I would have sworn was a light rod knock. A deep clunk-clunk-clunk not a higher-pitched lifter or rocker tic-tic-tic.

A buddy of mine said naw, man, that's a "stuck valve". (I knew what he meant. :D )

I figured it couldn't hurt to give it a try, and from what I'd seen under the valve covers, it could use a good cleaning anyway. So I tossed in a can of SeaFoam and drove it up and down the street two or three times.

When I pulled back in, the "knock" was gone. Runs reasonably smooth, nice and quiet. Loudest noise is now a very slight exhaust leak from a rust pinhole down by the starter.

Most snake oils are just that, but at least in the case of a sticky lifter or two, it works. :D

Doc.

9. whiskerz

whiskerz
    from Ga.

In have used it in power steering pumps , It works great to make them run quieter

10. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

I use it in everything From my cars to my mowers and power toy. I have a small repair shop and use at least 10 cans a month. Good stuff. I would remove all you spark plugs and let it sit in the cylinders over night. Some times it will free stuck rings. Use it on Saturns for this all the time.

11. vert1940

vert1940

i used some in the gas...just because...and my friends all swear by it...first thing i notised was it quieted my holley red pump down right away...i was amazed

12. hotrodlarry

hotrodlarry

I was told it can be used as fogging oil as well.

My Neighbor uses Seafoam every couple of weeks in his newer Volvo.Everytime I buy a new daily driver, the first thing I do is put an entire bottle in the tank, then drive the car.

13. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

I used to use it years ago with reasonable success....heaven't needed to use it in quite awhile though.

14. i use it in everything i have had good luck with it.. plus i sell it, and hey its on sale too. 7.99 at orileys :)

15. Ol Dawg

Ol Dawg

Sea Foam. Best snake oil made ! You can use it for nearly everything.

16. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

17. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

^This.

18. Fleetliner

Fleetliner
    from Oregon

It could also be a problem with the oil scraper rings. Give it some run time to get things seated back in. Seafoam will help, it certainly won't hurt. Although it is not a fix all for physical damage. Some people think that it will stop that knocking rod from comming out of the block.

19. TwinTownTerror

TwinTownTerror
    from Minnesota

I use it. It's a good product.

20. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

I had an old smoker when I was a teen. Stopped at the Nationwise store (remember those?) and bought some miracle fix it in a can. Showed it to a mechanically adept neighbor and asked if he thought it would help. He said sure it will - once you've got the engine apart to fix the real problem just dump it over everything and it will keep the rust away until you put it back together.

21. speedexx

speedexx
    from Georgia

LOL. No doubt about it, that man was truly a sage!

22. RAY With

RAY With

First clue here is "I pulled the intake and it was full of sludge!! " Tear it down and at least clean and install new bearings and rings or it couls wind up like your pictured scrap yard.

23. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by b-body-bob [​IMG]
    I had an old smoker when I was a teen. Stopped at the Nationwise store (remember those?) and bought some miracle fix it in a can. Showed it to a mechanically adept neighbor and asked if he thought it would help. He said sure it will - once you've got the engine apart to fix the real problem just dump it over everything and it will keep the rust away until you put it back together.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    LOL. No doubt about it, that man was truly a sage!

I love the HAMB. Somebody always has a yarn or a crack! :D I've used SeaFoam for probably a decade in the fuel tanks in every sort of two-cycle tool that has sat around all winter. Waiting 'til spring to start up a 454 that's sat sat for a few years. I had planned using Sea Foam, but thanks to TooManyFords, I'm sure now I'll ALSO plan on putting a little in all the cylinders and let it sit a day or so before starting it up.;)
    <!-- / message -->

24. customs by jason

customs by jason

you may wanna try restore they have cans for 4cylinders 6 and 8 pour it in your oil. ive seen it help blow by before car was burning about a qt a week and after a can of that it would burn very little if any

25. scoobyscooter

scoobyscooter

I used it in my 54 when i first got it because it had sat for a bunch of years. Also used it in a friends 50 Harley Panhead. In both cases it worked awesome at cleaning the carb and oil.