Register now to get rid of these ads!

How has the ressesion affected our hobby

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by magoozi, Sep 19, 2011.

1. cheveey57

cheveey57

How about the 1000's of cars being crushed and sold for scrap because of the economy.

2. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Been there before stood in unemployment line for 2 blocks long with snow up to my ass,haulin fuel from the truck stop in 5 gallon cans to keep the furnace going,watched the man from the bank drive my car off but we survived and when things turned around boy did it so hang in there it will get better.I firmly believe these recessions are purposly caused so the man with money can clean up on peoples hard times,via houses ,cars, and cheap labor well I got news for em I am keeping my shit.In stead of taking advantage of a brother help him out if you can

3. 2935ford

2935ford

Just my 2 cents and have thought about this topic a lot.

To be sure...it is tough times now but keep in mind....the whole world is feeling this one. Have we ever heard of so many countires that are broke?

I agree with many here. It is after all a hobby. Many have made good money from it. Had a good time with it. Now it's time probably to hunker down and ride out the storm. If you need to sell get what you can in this tough market. If you can afford to hang on, do so.

A bright spot....I have heard stories of several companies that went offshore are now getting demands from those offshore workers to be paid a whole lot more money and have benefits......well, these companies have decided to bring it on back home. This could mean jobs and we could use jobs. Let's hope more companies follow suit!

We will all be glad when this is behind us.

4. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

I was just talking to someone the other day about this. I have noticed that guys with the rare shit still want top dollar and more people are opting out for cheaper ways to get into the rod and custom hobby. I see less and less real old traditional hot rods and more late 50s early 60s "customs". That era of cars are still relativly cheap and most of the time are in running condition, allowing one to "join in" but not break the bank by finding/building a more expensive traditional hotrod. Judging by billetproof this last weekend there still seems to be plenty of interest and people are willing to go to such events. Its a cheap hobby if you watch your money and spend it wisely but if you dont it can get extreamly expensive quickly.

5. i wish i had the cash for your nash.:D

6. Deuces

Deuces

You let that silly shit bother you??? We all make a mistake once in awhile... Damn! :rolleyes:

7. Attendance at major shows in the Northeast is down 25%
    Parts are selling very slowly
    Rods in the $25-30,000 price range are stagnant.
    I don't see it letting up any time soon.

8. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Some of the problems;

Small raises the last few years, coupled with higher health insurance deductions taken out of the pay by the employer= zero net raises.

Coupled with higher costs for everything; food, gas, medical, utilities, insurance.........

Some of the solutions;

Cut up the credit card. Pay cash or go without.

Damn nearkill the entertainment (don't go out to dinner, sporting events, concerts, night clubs, movies (it'll be on TV eventually), etc.). Canceled all the magazine subscriptions.

Brown bag it.

No "luxury" purchases-No big screens, laptops, cameras, iphones, etc.

If you have to have something; buy used stuff or wait until stuff goes on sale.

Be a smart shopper at the grocery store. Wait for sales and buy in bulk. Stock it away or stash it in the freezer.

Don't farm out anything/do all my own repairs-house, yard, daily driver cars, etc.

Deferred maintenance and home improvements. Heat the house this winter or buy a new couch? (CHOOSE ONE)

Work a second job. Doing some part time welding/machine work in a friends shop half a day a week.

Entertain at home. Watch Sunday football at a friends. Local cruise night is a cheap night out.

Glad I'm still employed! Hope things look up soon. This recession sucks!

9. Squablow

Squablow

Projects are cheap right now making it a great time to buy if you've got some cash. I can think of a handful of cars I'd go buy right now if I had the money and space, I've got more cars right now than I know what to do with.

A guy can really clean up at the local auctions too, parts cars and parts going really cheap when they are offered, I've hit a couple already this year and am doing really good on that stuff. eBay's new fees have fucked me over much harder than the "economy" has.

10. burnout2614

burnout2614

It is difficult but, car hobby or not, keeping the debt monster at bay is the ONLY way to live. For 20 yrs I had good credit but no money. The last 10 yrs I have a pitiful credit rating but owe NO money except my house. All my car junk is paid for. I feel for the guys who can't do their own work but have that burning desire to play with hot rods. I stubbornly hang on to parts I should sell cause I might need em someday! peace

11. Well...been in property management for some 25-30 yrs last 20 or so with banks...since no ones working in those empty buildings - they don't need me....finally back to work since the layoff of 2009....working - or should I say supporting grocery stores...hell...we's gots to eat!....the old car parts and cars did keep me going thru the dry spell and still try to spread the love/money around....

12. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

And most of them are still getting TOP DOLLAR :D
    The good stuff still brings good money. The less popular/weird/off the wall stuff that was selling some has almost completely STOPPED ... because it was being bought by the folks with almost no money anyway. Now they have NO money.

Ever since hot rods became popular ( in the 20/30s ) ... folks have tried to PLAY cheap. It's the same in almost any Hobby/ or sport.

Just my opinion BUT ... A lot of HAMBERS need to focus on ONE GOOD project and not try to work on 2 or 3 at a time. A lot of HAMBERS need to QUIT ... messing with cars and take care of their family first.

Cars is a HOBBY for most of us. I am as guilty as as one here. BUT ... my family has always came first. I bet many members here ... know rodders/or racers ... whose family lives sub-standard lives because of the Hot Rod or racecar. I know of three or four racers type within a 30 radius of my home who spend $$$ after $$$ on a old race car and have absolutely not a chance of winning the race. They rarely win enough money to cover that weeks racecar expenses. YET ... their kids wear raggy old clothes and they live in run down houses. They wives drive JUNK ( if they have their own car ). The wives usually is working hard also just to help feed their kids.

ALL because of a HOBBY ???

13. slammed

slammed

With that avatar? Prioritize. Make due with one.

14. adamshumard

adamshumard

Im fortunately in an industry that is still busy. Ive been buying old tin like hot cakes. People are nearly giving it away. I plan when stuff turns around to move alot of it at a solid profit

15. andrewdrexler

andrewdrexler
    from Fresno, CA

I have been putting away 100 from every paycheck to fund my existing project. 200 a month does not seem like much, but it’s enough to keep a trickle of parts coming in to keep forward motion going. That being said, I would not be planning the same scale of project if I did not manage to get a decent sized tax return this year.

16. HotRod33

HotRod33

I am in the printing industry and it is SLOW.... and it is changing. The internet has changed advertising but I am still working, but I have sold a couple of nice running and driving cars to raise some cash and pay off some bills. I have some money in my hotrod fund but I don't spend ANY household money on cars. I buy and sell things or work on something to try and make some extra funds for the hotrods. I did cut back on going to a couple of out of town shows and I haven't been buying very much of anything for my projects......

17. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I'm a local government employee....my wages are capped out at 2008 levels and havent had a raise in 6 years.....and now are looking at a paycut AND the city is still holding the layoff card over our head (supposedly if the paycut comes the budget will be balanced)

I work alot of side jobs to pay off the debt that my premi daught rug up, they're taking up to 3 to 4 months to pay....some try to not pay at all....hey, listen folks I AM NOT a bank, I provide a service, I expect to be compensated in a reasonable timeframe yet the organizations I work for deem it acceptable "due to the economy"

I'm not complain' as I still have a job (for now), many others aren't near as fortunate...yet all my "play money" has turned into "Get back out of debt" money....because of that, my one project has essentially ground to a halt....

It's all about priorities I guess, I have always lived fiscally responsibly, no debt except the house, a reasonable newer family car that doesn't break the bank (and is paid for) and no credit card debt....I didn't ask for what I got into...(I guess I kinda did when I knocked the wife up) but you know what I mean....shit happens

the project will just have to take a little longer (alot longer) to get done....I can't justify selling when unfinished project arn't getting shit for prices....that and sweat equity (and the years I've had it) don't even begin to touch where the price "should" be....

We're making ends meet, just seems like I'm working 10 times harder than I ever had to to do so and getting less out of it.

Shows? hell whats a show? I haven't been to any shows scince the middle of 2010....

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had to close my custom car shop. I am now working for someone else (VERY thankfully), doing the same work.

I now earn 20% of what I made in my best year, and still have no business complaining. I am getting by. Others have it far worse.

19. dudley32

dudley32

Lost my job in construction...now driving a truck for about half the pay...but thankful to have the job...sold my '31 pickup...and just tightening my belt...

20. Deuces

Deuces

There was a time when everything was made here and everyone had a job...... What happened???

21. Scumdog

Scumdog

Everybody wanted the cheap stuff made off-shore where wages were $1 a day.

Man it was good buying that cheap stuff.

But then the guys earning a good wage back home were laid off since the company could get stuff made cheaper off-shore.

SO now that cheap stuff don't look so attractive to the guy who lost his job because of it - he ain't got the $$ to buy even the cheap stuff.

I think that kinda sums it up...:(

22. the rough times are her and rougher are soon to follow so hold on to your asses! my son was telling me he just started working extra hours for some extra money and i told him their is no such thing as extra money it's called "neccesary money"!

23. Deuces

Deuces

Seen a cartoon in the paper once not long ago....
    Driver in car sez to his buddy he just got laid off from Ford's as he's driving away in his toyota.... I said to myself...
    It figures!.. :rolleyes::mad:

24. Its kinda sad to see many the vehicles headed to the scrapper. I seen a 55 ford Pk going there this week. We dont owe any payments we are debt free except for utilities. My job is really dismal. Im only going out in the truck one trip per week. $200 isnt going very far. However I did buy a four post lift. a 71 3/4 ton flatbed with a 400 big block. and bought a 78 with a 454 that will reside in my 55 wagon. I sold three dodge K cars for $100 each last week. and I have a 100 or so OT cars that I could take to the scrapper. The fuel prices have made driving my 4 cyl ranger prefarable to driving the gas guzzling vehicles. Im afraid the recession may be over. Maybe what we now have is the new normal? Maybe this is it this is as good as i gets? Ive lived through several of these downturns. However this time it very different it has never been so widespread and never has all segments went kaput all at the same time. Im afraid it will become worse. I really hope im wrong but I think not. OldWolf

25. Magoozi,
    I move pretty slow these days anyway but the recession sure hasn't helped my cash flow.

I have had to become as creative as i was when I was a kid. For instance I am in the process of building a wireing harness for my Willys. The 50 year old harness is all butched. I needed a new dimmer switch as the original has given up the ghost, but a new one is 34 bucks. 3-20 amp toggles ran me about 12 bucks, so now I have my driving lights and bad weather lights hooked up with 3 toggles. One low beam, one high beam and one for the fog lights. It looks fine and works like a chanp.

I am using lots of collected parts for long term projects to finish up the short term projects. It is messing with perfection but it is getting the job done.

I am also forced to swap or sell some pieces that I have spent a long time collecting. They are all pieces that I have hung onto because they will work perfect someday on the perfect ride. Now they are paying for bits n pieces that I need because I still don't have that perfect ride.

Its all good, I have survived several recessions in my lifetime. Its just life, sometimes you eat chicken and others you have to eat the beaks n feet.

This may be a good thing if you view it in the correct light. At least it has caused me to get back to my roots. I find myself spending time working on someone else's car to get my fix, I used to do that a lot. When I was young I discoverd that I couldn't race as much as I wanted to because I didn't have the cash flow. It gave me opportunity to work on some impressive cars that I wouldn't have done otherwise.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  26. Gman0046

Gman0046

Lets face it guys times are tough. Your house used to be your nest egg, now its worth at least a third less. Unemployment is through the roof. Going to an out of town three day car show in a place like Pigeon Forge, TN where motels are breaking it off, could wind up costing you at least $700 for the weekend even if you ate on the cheap. Don't know about you but I just don't have that kind of money anymore. Years ago we used to go to at least three out of town shows a year. Not any more. My 62 Chevy wagon as far as I'm concerned is done. I even thought about selling it because we don't go to out of town events anymore and the local events contain nothing but new Corvettes. Thought about going to Cruisin the Coast and figured that would probably cost well over $1200. Those motel rates are out of sight. We're trying to keep something left for a rainy day and having to help our kids keep their heads above water. That doesn't leave much for pleasure, but if you can't help your kids, who can you help?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  27. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

I think what is hurting us alot is inflation, food has gone up as well as fuel, and with a weaker dollar , the price of new parts have gone to the moon, since alot of them are made overseas and raw materials have been going up.

28. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

X2 Magoozi! Fuel is a big problem but I think someone else said it, this may be the new normal...let's hope not! I still want a 53/54 Stude coupe.

29. Ford-Man

Ford-Man

I don't measure myself in my own eyes by the physical items in my "stash" per say, or the amount of money in my bank account. I could lose it all tomorrow morning...so why put stock in items that come and go? Ask anyone that has been through a large natural disaster...everything can (and often will) be taken away. I spend my time and money on my wife, my family and friends first, projects second. My wife and I both value our friends and family above all else so it's easy to give freely. We spend time together, take trips together, struggle together and thrive together. I am here to tell you that we may or may not be on the verge of financial failure, but my wife and I are wealthy and happy in ways a recession cannot touch. I honestly think that people too often lose sight of that. We all were enthusiasts long before we purchased our first project. Ownership does not change the passion or the lifestyle, but abandoning or mistreating those close to you in persuit of your passion is wrong.

I have resisted posting this for a long time...not just on this thread but in general. It really has nothing directly to do with the hobby per say, but I too have seen people short change their family, their kids...all in an effort to afford something for personal gain. It makes me sick.

I could go on and on about this for hours...so I better shut up.

30. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

^agreed. Kinda helps to put it all in perspective- not to lose sight of whats really important.