Register now to get rid of these ads!

My daughter had an awesome day at Goodguys Indy today!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fbama73, Sep 18, 2011.

1. fbama73

fbama73

Some of you already know, but I run the model and pedal car show at GG Indy.

There was one person that was going to be at the show that I really wanted my 11 year old budding hot rod girl to meet, but since we're pretty well chained to the model contest area, I wasn't sure I could arrange it.

Friday, I'd seen the car that told me the sought after person was there, but there was never anyone around it but gawkers. Yesterday was our super busy day, and Leigha was a huge help during the make and take for the kids. We managed to sneak out a bit in the late afternoon and see a few cars, but I didn't find the elusive person.

This morning, Leigha and I were in a humorous bit done by a local TV station where they made my '49 Merc model look like a real car, then did a reveal that it was a model. We did our awards, packed the show down, and were going to head out to drop our stuff off at the truck, then finally get a chance to enjoy the show when we were sidetracked by her getting to meet Indycar driver Ed Carpenter.

The kid has had a pretty cool day.

Then, we headed out the back door, and stuck gold. Creeping along toward our building was a lavender '47 Olds convertible! I flagged Denise down, intorduced ourselves, and then explained that I wanted Leigha to meet a real deal lady rodder.

Denise could not have been more awesome. They became buds pretty quick (turns out they have similar taste in shoes).

Well, the guys and I rode the shuttle bus out to the truck to lighten the load. Leigha rode out in Big Olds!

As we walked around the show afterward, I don't think that kid's feet touched the ground- she was floating! Guess what she couldn't stop talking about?

Denise, you made that 11 year old's day. More than that, you made an impression. Lori and I TELL her these things, but you SHOWED them to her! Thank you VERY much!

[​IMG]

2. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Way Cool !!!
    Good for her.
    Cheers............

3. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

That is great!!!

4. robleticia

robleticia

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

You couldn't have found a better person to guide her. Spread the gospel!!

6. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got to meet denise at the Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Green and i was so happy. I tried to look for her all weekend but couldn't find her then dave hales of the S&S Team flagged her down so i could say hi. She was so nice. I even got a cookie:D I know how that made your daughters day because it made mine also.
    Gasser Girl

7. Spade115

Spade115
    from Texas

Beautiful car

Sounds like a great time :D

8. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Thats our good ole "DENISE" to a TEE. It sounds like a great time, wish I had been there.:cool:

9. Weasel

Weasel

Denise should be declared a National Treasure....

10. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

This story made my day.

11. koolkemp

koolkemp

Denise is the best ! Looks like it was a great show for all!!

12. jipp

jipp

sounds like a great day.. cool :)
    chris.

13. metal man

metal man

Denise is a cool lady. Seems like a fitting role model for a young girl.

14. Davyj

Davyj

The world needs more hot rod girls, it is always great to get the young ones involved. Always stopped by the tower at the old location to see the model show, glad it is able to continue at the oval. I have a pair of hot rod daughters and believe me, it feels good every time they tell someone that is their car not their husbands!

15. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Yep shes a great gal. I still havent got a cookie though. Between her and Bob K they are like Hot Rodding Ambassadors.

16. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

cool, Denise just being Denise.......:)

17. Ebert

Ebert

Like her fenders, Denise is way smooth and cool!!!!

18. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I got to meet Denise at the Spam O Rama. She is like a ROCK STAR or something! MMMM.....Cookies. All kidding aside great gal and her car made me want to set mine on fire and walk away..Were not worthy!:D

19. Bar Ditch

Bar Ditch
    from Tacoma

Congrats! Thats awesome.LB

20. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Bama,saw that bit on t.v. It worked! You got a talent there bro'

21. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

22. toobadq

toobadq
    from Indy

I ran into Denise, the 47 and her Easy bake oven by the You Gotts Drive 'em corral...Did not know anything about her. We talked for a few...She is the kind of person that you remember with a Smile...

23. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

24. fbama73

fbama73

It was less than 100 yards from where that was filmed to the contest area. When I walked off camera, I went directly to the contest area, and before we got there, my phone was blowing up with "dude, I just saw you on TV" messages.

25. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Leigha is a real SWEETHEART! She's got a charming personality, your a very lucky Dad. I'm so thrilled I got to meet and hang out with her for abit. The future of our passion is in great hands.

Let her know I'm already looking forward to next year when we can cruise around the fairgounds together in Big Olds checking out other cars. Maybe by then I'll have my own pair of purple sparkley Chucks. :cool:

[​IMG]

26. toobadq

toobadq
    from Indy

Denise, When I was talking with you at the Ya' Gotta' Drive em' Corral I did not know you were famous. Sorry we had no place for you to park...Maybe next Year!

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I've had the pleasure to meet a few HAMBers, but meeting Denise would be a treasure. I miss her travel stories. It's cool she took the time out for your daughter. First class all the way!

28. First there was MINI-ME, and now MINI-D .

29. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

30. fbama73

fbama73

That's a pretty good description of Denise.

Whenever Leigha spots a woman doing something that is normally the province of men, I always say to her "Why not?"

She's seen PLENTY of women at car shows that are there with a husband/father/boyfriend who is into cars. A lot of them really enjoy the scene, but very rare is the lady who is "The real deal." I wanted Leigha to see that building, maintaining and driving them is a girl's game, too.

Leigha saw it as really cool and fun, which it was. I saw it as a lesson taught and an impression made. A lesson I can't teach, and an impression I can't make.