Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for someone to cut 5" louvers in/near Dallas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by photomike, Sep 15, 2011.

1. photomike

photomike

Hi all,

New member here and Im trying to find out some info.

I want to get 5" or 6" louvers stamped into my hood on my DD but am having the hardest time. Found a great fabber nearby but he can only go 3" on his press. probably 7 each side.

I'm trying to replicate the original OEM vents that were stock on the original FJ40 Land Cruiser, but in the flat part of my newer Land Cruiser hood. I think the smaller ones work ok but won't look to match the original aesthetic line from the from the FJ40

lots of pics are located here:
    http://mikegibsonphoto.smugmug.com/Other/Louvers/19045200_w5LCz9#1480950267_RnpC3M3

I got in a collision so my truck is in the shop and I need to get the hood done and want to do this before they go to paint it.

Tried tracking down a Pullmax machine nearby and no one wants to do it, and none of the car guys either have the machinery or the dies.

Any one know of somebody that can do this near me? The hood is single layer steel and the louvers would be pressed in between the bracing.

Looking for help in the 214/972.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    Mike

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  2. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

hit up ryan. i know they punch louvers but wouldn't know what size they cut up to.

[email protected]

3. photomike

photomike

Awesome, thx for the quick reply. I'll post back with results.

Thanks!
    Mike

4. rschilp

rschilp

Interested to see what you find.

5. Call Don Ross,get his opinions,,he does have a pullmax
    214-327=7312 he has a metal Fab shop in Garland and a hotrodder

6. photomike

photomike

So I spoke with Ryan and he only has the 3" dies.

Went by Don's shop on Tuesday. He only offered me the 3" louvers on his press and didn't mention using the Pullmax. Great guy, but I really want to go with the 5" if I can find it.

Cheers,
    Mike

7. fatkoop

fatkoop

You can make about any size (or shape, or straight or curved) louver you want with a Pullmax and the right tooling.

8. photomike

photomike

Keep it coming guys, I cant believe this is so hard to find, but I will prevail!

I will call Pullmax HQ in Chicago again tomorrow and see if they have any insights as to who may have the right equipment near me.

9. cracker head

cracker head

P.M. Tim Young goes by Irrational Metalworks here on the Hamb. Hell, just call him 972-467-2809

10. photomike

photomike

Awesome, thanks!

11. photomike

photomike

Tim can do it but he's 4 weeks out.

12. RodLouvers

RodLouvers

Hi Mike
    I have a set of 5" dies but I am in San Diego. I will be happy to make you a set of
    "weld in" panels you can give me a call 760-723-0677
    Dave
    PS and I am an alliance vendor www.rodlouvers.com

13. Dchaz

Dchaz

If I remember right there is a small shop in Cransville(sp?) Gap that does louvers. I think it is Squeekys or something like that.
    Or go by Bass's shop and ask who he uses.

14. JustJoey

JustJoey

Try paulweldit on here. He is in Hurst and does louvers, not sure what sizes he has though.

15. photomike

photomike

Thx for all of the great responses guys!

-I did shoot Paul a note and text and hadn't heard back.

-Dave, I wanted to stay away from the panels as I wanted it to look factory w/o a ton of body work. I had some vents from a Chevy Z34 Lumina that we were going to use until I ran across the pic of the white LC and I was smitten.

I ended up talking to JJ at Beaverfab and we are going to together when he's back in town. He will be making a 4" and 5" locker louver die and we are going to see what works best and use that one, whichever it is.

I made a paper template based on the 4" louver measurement and it looks pretty good. I'm really thinking the locker louver is the way to go since the early FJ40's had this and thats what I'm trying to emulate.

I'll post back here once I have some progress and pics to show.

Thanks to each and every one of you. I really appreciate the help!

Cheers,
    Mike

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  16. 193257

I have a 2" 3" 4"or 5" dies if that doesn't do it. I'M in the St. Louis area. Looks like they match exactly. I'll do it while you wait and you can take it home with you. Rick

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  17. Paranoid

Paranoid
    from festus, MO

Rick,

I'm building a 1929 Pontiac Speedster..
    I'm in Festus, Mo...looking for someone to stamp some louvers on the hood and side panels.

[​IMG]

193257 likes this.
  18. ^^ wow! nice start

19. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

The problem with cutting louvers longer than about 3" with a single stroke press is the force needed to force one die past the other in the shearing phase with zero clearance for the metal. The force required increases significantly with louver length. This problem does not exist with the Pullmax type machines.

20. 193257

Hey Paranoid Sold my press a couple years ago but its still in my area. His name is Mike Beams. He still punches louvers and is a good guy. PM me or email me and I will give you his number.

21. Paranoid

Paranoid
    from festus, MO

Thanks people!
    I figured one row of 3" louvers on each side atop the hood...and two rows of 3" on the driver side panel with one row on the exhaust side due to the pipes exiting the panel.
    I'll post an occasional update...

Russell.

[​IMG]

22. Paranoid

Paranoid
    from festus, MO

Hey Rick,
    I can't seem to figure out how to pm or email you?.....Started a conversation with you but I'm guessing no one uses that?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  23. Paranoid

Paranoid
    from festus, MO

As promised...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Wow!...I really need to organize my garage!...
    [​IMG]