Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lucky man!! East Texas Wildfire gets Way to close to burning Vintage Fords.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by billylo, Sep 17, 2011.

1. mackster

mackster

all i can say is WOW....that was way too close!

2. gotit

gotit

I am glad you didn't lose anything. Wildfire is crazy stuff and scary.

Where are those guys fire shelters? They are crazier than I. I don't go anywhere without one even if I am in a good burned out are. I have heard too many stores I guess.

Thank you for taking care of those boys. They are working hard for many of hours.

3. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Man this is as strange as it gets, blessings and luck we could replace the cars and buildings but your family and pets are all safe thats a blessing! Wow the tin was safe to thats luck and a blessing. We are happy that you and your family are fine Thank God man our prayers were with you. Your old car bud Terry !

4. billylo

billylo

Bobby it is still really smoky here too....Just glad I have a house that can still smell like smoke. Thanks Billy

5. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

My wife & I just got home from visiting our friends in Smithville Tx, driving on 71 was absolutely heart wrenching. I am glad to hear you made it out okay & I agree that the Firemen that fought those fires are AWESOME!

Sam

6. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Man you are lucky! Glad that you and your family are all ok, Thats way too close for me!!

7. Itchy-Pit

Itchy-Pit

Texas has Trees? LOL Happy for you. Someone else was spot on. Always clear and maintain a perimeter. If possible clear and plant low groundcover. Glad your treasures are safe.

8. Hahahaha,your watching too many westerns...East Texas aint nothing but TREES

9. chardog

chardog
    from california

firefighters are badass mo fos.i live in southern cal and the hand crews are heros

10. Last week, we had 4 local N.C. Air National Guardsmen killed,one injured when their C130 crashed while fighting wildfires in South Dakota. Yesterday morning there was a line of C130's that circled the city and made several low-altitude passes over the area in a tribute to the fallen heroes... Damn if it didn't make a giant lump in your throat

All the brave firefighters ,ground or air ,deserve our thanks...

11. so_dak_kid

so_dak_kid

That happened just south of us here in the Black Hills of South Dakota....sympathies to their families

12. ken05k

ken05k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Jasper, AR

Wow, you were lucky man! I live in the woods and with this drought, worry about fire all the time. That Croman helicopter got me to remembering that I was working on the ranger district where they first went helicopter logging in 1976. They crashed that ship. Gosh but that was long time ago. Again, glad everything worked out for you. ken

13. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

14. richie rebel

richie rebel

lucky,lucky man,take care

15. 2935ford

2935ford

Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Glad your all safe!Keeping a fire truck on the property might not be practical if you ever did need it,It probably wouldn't run from sitting idle. What you could do that is practical is put a big pipe with screened intake out into that lake with a fire hydrant connection where a truck can drive up and connect. We have bunches of those in my town in lakes and pond ones near a road the pipes extend right to the road side tankers can drive right up connect a line and fill up or if the fire is close enough pumpers can pump right to the sight. The ones we have here are about 6 inches in Dia. and roughly form a long inverted "U" they are buried on land below Frost lever here in snow country but just lay on the lake bottom the end in the lake sticks about 2 feet and there is a screen filter around the sides which cover some openings cut in the sides of the pipe the top is capped so nothing can fall into the top.the land end is run to where ever a truck can pull up to connect some of the road side ones here have the vertical pipe just high enough above ground to clear the guard rails and a section horizontal off that to just behind the guard rail making it very easy for fire crews to connect to them right from the road. These would not only help protect your property but your neighbors as well and you can be sure the community would be behind you on one of these as it's in every ones best interest!Using this any truck capable of connecting to a hydrant can get water no need to be carrying pick up lines or anything special. You could also set an irrigation pump right near this and collect some fire hose to connect to this yourself in an emergency. Much easier to keep that little pump in working order than a big old fire truck and no problems with "stored cars"

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  17. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

man that is a really close call....
    sorry for your neighbors.
    great work those firefighters do.

18. belair

belair

Glad you were spared. Better be on the front pew at church tomorrow :). I always give money when the VFD is out collecting at intersections. I love those Sikorskys too.