Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by woodywagon1965r, Sep 18, 2011.

1. woodywagon1965r

woodywagon1965r

Well heres the scene..

Was at the track and had a needle an seat stuck on the carb
    dumped in a lot of fuel thought the old paper towels down the carb sucked up most of it ..ha wrong !! after getting it back together tried to start it to be met with a ...hydralic lock.....in my haste at the end of the runway only pulled the needle an seat didnt pull the plugs once i did fuel sprayed out after eliminating a mallory 6al box that wouldnt fire either ..whats the chance of 2 seperate issues at the same time lol well it did
    car did fire up and i limped it back over a hundred miles home

Here is the Q anyone ever have any luck in not bending a rod after a lock up like that
    fairly fresh motor would hate to do it all again
    oh for the record it was a 11.7 pass

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

cool ride-always will have something to fix, etc. Did you pull the dip stick and smell gas on it? have you changed oil and filter and plugs and repair carb since home? so, any strange noises form engine?

3. jipp

jipp

well i have no advice.. but i hope you smoked tdhat blue car... 11s woot. one fast wagon :)
    chris.

4. woodywagon1965r

woodywagon1965r

Car sounds good.. couldnt smell anything in oil ...lol and plugs after 100 miles on hiway look real good it also cost me my wideband sensor from ign fail at end of runway loaded up with fuel guess it soaked the sensor in exhaust ..just not sure of do you think it bent a rod ...anyway to tell other than ripping whole motor apart
    thought of just doing a compression check but would a small bend in rod be noticable on that kind of check

5. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Doubt that you would have hurt it and not be hearing it by now. I bent a rod once when the cylinder was full of water but never on gas.

6. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

If the cylinder was full of fuel and the compression stroke didn't have far to go, you may luck out. It happened to me and I only bend a couple of push rods.

7. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

An engine will run OK with a slightly bent rod, as long as the bend is in the vertical axis relative to the crankshaft. Any other bend direction will load one side of the rod bearing and also cock the piston in the bore. Enough of that, and you'll soon have a bearing failure. Even if the bend is oriented so that it doesn't side-load the bearing, a rod with a bend isn't as structurally solid as a straight rod. A rod with a slight bend is definitely a weak link, and the only way to know for sure is a teardown. A slight bend won't be detectable with a compression test.

8. woodywagon1965r

woodywagon1965r

Thanks for input guess i am going to have to do a teardown.....damn