Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vanishing Americana--the drive in movie theater

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by povertyflats, May 5, 2010.

1. crazybob

crazybob

A large , high lumen, blue ray projector can be rented, that could fill a least a 50' wide screen. It wouldn't be cheap, but a lot less than doing the 35mm transfer. My drive-in still runs 35mm film.

2. Deuces

Deuces

Wow! That's great to hear! Any more in Michigan besides this one and the Ford-Wyoming???

3. mtpockits

mtpockits

Ocala florida's opens this friday, 07/29/2011 i hope it stays.

4. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

ghost drive in I saw today along old US 40 highway at Russell, KS. No one around except me and a hawk who was perched on top of the sign until he saw me getting close.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      422.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      485.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      212.2 KB
      Views:
  5. Here's to the only theaters in the USA that you can have a smoke!

6. I guess I am lucky there are still two operating drive-in theaters within a 30 minute drive of my house. Cool place to watch a movie in the summer.

7. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

you don't smoke dammit---

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Gosh, so many lost for sure. A list of those around me that are gone. South Gate, Paramount, Rosemead, Pico, Gage, Bellflower, Long Beach's one that was off the circle. Did them all, but all are gone.

9. ;)

Also if someone yells "FIRE"... everybody grabs their SMORES and Hot Dogs!:eek:

10. dmikulec

dmikulec

Great photos! :cool:

11. ron60

ron60

I'am giving my age away, but I remember the old Stardust Drive Inn on the Las Vegas Strip, and at that time the dirt track next store at the Silver Slipper.

12. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

It was just announced that the Scottsdale 6 Drive-in has closed forever. It is located on reservation land and the owner of the theater could not get the tribe to agree to a new lease. So that leaves only two remaining drive-ins in AZ, one in Glendale and one in Globe.

13. noxided

noxided

Here is the old Redland Drive in thats in Lufkin, TX. I read that its last use as a theater was XXX. Now its a scrap yard.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Ramblur

Ramblur

Alive and well in Lakeland,Fl. And doing a brisk business to boot!
    [​IMG]

15. dmikulec

dmikulec

I'll bet that neon was gorgeous at night back in the day. :cool:

16. redzula

redzula

there is a drive -in in Newton IA went there last weekend and was thinking that they should start making those again and clubs could have cruizes to the drive in and such.

recently the only true drive in diner in Des Moines was bought out by a big chain grocery store and quickly shut down. it'd be nice to get a theatre closer to the city and possibly a real diner too.

17. Took the truck to Mansfield & Southington a few times. Mansfield still has a few "speakers on a stick" but the audio is also broadcast on FM. Good times, looking forward to going again next summer.

18. vivalahotrod

vivalahotrod

Back in Southern Idaho (Idaho Falls to be exact) We still have the Motor-Vu and the Sky-Vu drive-ins. The Sky-Vu is right next to the ware house that my family keeps all the hotrods in, so when ever there is a huge line to get into the theater me, my father and my brother always pull a few of the cars out to give the folks something to look at while waiting in line.

They are always alive and well during the summer.

Viva

19. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by wingnutz [​IMG]
    Here's to the only theaters in the USA that you can have a smoke!
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by wingnutz [​IMG]
    ;)

Also if someone yells "FIRE"... everybody grabs their SMORES and Hot Dogs!:eek:

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Now that's some funny shit right there! :D If ya don't think it's funny, just go on and get the hell outta here! :mad:

20. When I moved here in 1980 there were 3 of them in the immediate area...one had 2 screens..
    The last one closed last year...sniff.
    Our car club use to organise drive-in-nights.....we bought tickets at a low rate and made about a buck on each ticket, selling for a discount to our buddies with hotrods/customs. The profit went into the club's fund for charity and our big club Christmas dinner... really miss those days.

21. There is an operating Drive In located in Maquoketa Iowa and one east of Rockfalls Il.Those of us in these areas should get together and try to help these places out and have fun doin it! Schedule a run to the movies,who cares what the show is,I never saw one anyhow...if ya know what I mean.... jmho...R~R

22. 345WindowOregon

345WindowOregon

So there are at least 2 still in operation in Oregon.... the one in Newberg and one here in my backyard on the easterly outskirts of Dallas..... It mostly shows kiddy stuff nowadays.

23. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

One of my favorite photos..............belongs in this thread.........by Winston O Link

[​IMG]

24. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Oh man, had a lot of fun in that place.............

Posted by Mazooma.......

Hastings Drive-In, Pasadena, California
    aka, "the Pasadena Passion Pit"
    on Rosemead Blvd. just north of Route 66
    long gone
    [​IMG]

25. Was this the drive in that "Billy Graham" held a "Crusade" in the early seventies??? Hahaha... the "Passion Pit"...!

26. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Okay! NO PhotoShop here! :mad: But this should mess with
    everybody's mind! :eek: That looks like the ORIGINAL "Drag
    Net" MOVIE on the screen there. BUT WHAT'S WITH
    THE CHIMP??? :eek: I seem to have a VERY vague recollec-
    tion of an American FAD of monkeys and chimps in the
    '50s and early '60s. But a chimp at the drive-in???:confused:

[​IMG]

Pic first posted by LowCat on the "Vintage Shots From Days Gone
    By" thread.

27. Mustn't have heard about the "Primates Car Club" movie night... Nice photo of Mike Zenor when he was just a little chimp!!.

http://mikezenor.home.comcast.net/~mikezenor/Primates/

28. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Among some it was known as the..............."Finger Bowl".......I know I know....BAD!