Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finally the 33 chevy is done

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 16, 2011.

1. I couldn't find all the previous post so I'll try and condense the story,,Dave and I are not pro builders but decided to take this car on for a friend.

About 3 years ago Dave and I started working on this car for our elderly friend Richard,,it was a rough old cob that had spent the later part of it's life as a Gutted drag car before being dumped in the woods back in the 60's.

What little bit of wood that the previous owner left in the car was rotten,,and rust had eaten a good bit of metal away,lets just say it was a POS,,

We started by cutting away all the old crap out including what was a poorly fabricated trunk floor and the rear wheel wells.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rear area of the car was gone along with part of the molding the so this had to be fabricated on both sides.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We fabed up the panels on each side and constructed the panel below the trunk along with the lip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Richard supplied us with glass fenders and the rear gas tank cover.

After we fabricated all the panels to add the inside of the trunk lid and the gutters inside the trunk this is what it looked like from the rear.

[​IMG]

Going from the back forward we had to do some work on the metal running boards,,they just didn't fit right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next we removed the what was left of the termite infested wood from the doors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what we had to work with,,we cut all the rust out and made a new skin and fabricated all the inner structure,,,Richard wanted power windows and no vent windows so we just tried to make everything structurally strong,,everything times two.:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  2. krooser

krooser

3. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

man you guys are dedicated , my hats off to you on a good job , working with nothing more than a pile of parts ,

4. RAY With

RAY With

Great looking project and super workman ship

5. Doors finished and installed,running boards and front fenders mounted and the hood is lined up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next project was to tackle the hacked up top,,we fabed up the cross sections to try and achieve the correct shape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We decided to buy and try our hand with a English wheel and we had never used one so it was a amazing we got it a looking as good as we did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next we went inside and started on the dash,,it had been cut up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We made a transmission tunnel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Richard looks happy with the car at this stage,,we also opened the cowl vent the the drag racer had filled in.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  6. great looking car, '33 chevy nicest looking hot rod!

7. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Wood...now you know why I like old fords and not chevys. :) nice work...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. So after two years Dave did all the body and paint,Maroon color,plus the interior,,the car looks pretty much like a traditional car on the outside but Richard wanted a lot of creature comforts,,but at 83 I can't blame him,,he is a happy man. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. junkcad

junkcad
    from nashville

is it maroon, brown or purple ? either way it looks awesome!

10. Yeah,it's maroon,poor quality photos.:rolleyes: HRP

11. F&J

F&J

Hard to believe it's the same car.

Glad to see the owner gets to see it finished and get to use it. Some don't, sad to say.

12. You guys did a fantastic job and the ol' fellers happy that's awesome.
    When can you start on one for me :cool:

13. beast460

beast460

wow. that's amazing. i passed someone this afternoon driving one almost that nice. this message board has taught me to really appreciate these old rides. i was always stuck in the 60's and 70's before.

14. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

very nice work!

15. speedfreek155

speedfreek155

Great job ! Gives me hope , if my Elky comes out half that nice I'll be happy . Cheers

16. Olustee Bus

Olustee Bus

AS someone else said earlier, Wow!

Fantastic craftsmanship.

17. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Here's to a job well done! Gary

18. kisam

kisam

I hope I have friends like you two when I'm his age! Great job!

19. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

That is a nice 33 chevy coupe, I sold mine for $25K, would you believe.

Attached Files:

20. Very, very nice. That is great work.

21. Thanks,but next on the agenda is to finish our projects that pretty much got pushed to the back burner to get Richards car on the road.

We need to install the glass and do the interior on Brenda's "Ranch Wagon",,hopefully by the first of the year it will be up and running.HRP

[​IMG]

Then we will hit the ground running and blow Dave's confused pickup apart for finish work,paint and upholstery and have him riding again by spring,he has been without a hot rod for about 3 years.

[​IMG]

22. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great Job, HRP!

23. raidmagic

raidmagic

Great job, very classy of you guys to do that for him. Looks like you have some nice other projects around there. Good luck with them.

24. 36fordman

36fordman

Well done, you saved another one! I sure hope at 81 I can be driving around in a hot rod!!!

25. Redbeard101

Redbeard101

I thought you were putting in Power windows?..Looks great anyway..Nice Job..

26. Looks great Danny! You guys did a super job.

JH

27. Great looking ride ...very cool story...thanks for sharing...

28. The 33 Chevy does indeed have power windows,,we used the autoloc that appears as though the car has roll down windows.

[​IMG]

All the original window and door mechanisms were gone.HRP

29. metalix_421

metalix_421

very very nice work