Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone here removed the roof of an F100?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tlmartin84, Sep 16, 2011.

1. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

I'd like to remove the roof from my F100 in order to get a good repair done on it. I have some rust in several of the seams that has "swelled" them out, so I'd like to remove, sandblast, get a good tight fit on everything once again and then weld it back together after I patch some holes around the drip rail.

I have replaced several body panels, mainly bedsides that require drilling the spot welds and then replacing them. Is removing the roof pretty much the same type of deal?

Just looking for any suggestions from someone who has done it. Just don't wanna get halfway through and be like crap, I should have started there, or put a brace in here, etc etc.

Thanks.

2. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

3. Never on purpose. If you have a real low one and slip it under a flatbed trailer in the snow and ice though it will slick the roof right off. :D

Just be sure to cross brace it real well and make sure you use something to cut it that makes a very small kerf.

4. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

Thats a good thread. I have considered doing basically the same, cut out the rot areas seperate the frame from the skin, blast it, put it back together and weld it back in.......that might be the way to go instead of removing the whole roof skin.......

5. smokey3550

smokey3550
    from texas

I cut mine off and welded another on from a doner truck. I cut about 1/2 to 1" above the seam all the way around then drilled out the spot welds, then air chiselled the remaining strips of old metal off, then grind and wire wheel the surface to weld. I welded along the seam on the outside instead of trying to duplicate the original spot welds. Ground the welds then seam sealed the joint, prep and paint.

6. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

How do you get this seam apart? you cant even get into it from the inside, and I can't feel any spot welds around the seam anywhere?

I'd like to get it apart right where the drip rail meets the cab, you can see in the corners how it is rusted and swelled.

I've found fiberglass roofs for these but no metal ones........ anybody got any experience with any of this??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. 34rdztr

34rdztr

i have a roof section off a donor truck cut through the pillars about half way up.....just a thought....pm me if interested and i can send pic of it...eddie

8. smokey3550

smokey3550
    from texas

The spot welds are on the inside of that lip of metal inside the cab above the back window. Once you cut your roof off ( above that seam) and clean the metal you will see the spot welds. Not as hard as it looks.

9. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

So I have to cut the roof off to take it apart.......