Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is the best compliment you've ever gotten about your car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wsdad, Sep 15, 2011.

1. One that I consider to be towards the top of the list...I got a comment left on my web site by Gene Sonnen that said that he liked my coupe. Since his is number 1 on my list of favorite "icon" '40 coupes, I consider that a huge compliment!

Usually, my favorite compliments are when I find pic's of my cars in somebody else's photos of an event. Out of all the much nicer cars, to find a shot of one of mine means they liked it enough to take a picture. Thanks, Flipper, for not only getting mine once, but for a total of 4 pictures in your Frog Follies pics!

2. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

LMAO, thats awesome.

3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Best compliment I've gotten was when I heard a guy tell his buddies he'd seen my Austin gasser making runs at the two local drag strips back in the late 60's. Which was exactly what I was going for when I built it last winter from a stock Austin. :)

4. The Hop Walla

The Hop Walla
    from Dallas

My neighbor comes over almost weekly with a new buddy, wanting me to show them my old truck and old Harley. And the guy behind the counter at the beer store followed me out saying, 'Oh mang dees ees my dreeeem truck'...

5. OldCrow

OldCrow

best compliment with my T bucket was the looks on two young kids faces when I let them sit in the car at a car show. the smiles in their eyes were a priceless reward.

another was with an ot car when the local street rod builder guru looked under the hood at my engine swap (a cadillac Northstar in a fiero) and exclaimed "man that looks like the factory put it there."

Russ

6. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back when I first got my 38 coupe I stopped over at a buddies place while I was on leave from the Army. His sister and one of her friends were there too, they were a year or two younger than me but her Friend was awful cute!
    Me and my mate were talking about the 38 and how good it was looking (Just polished and did a tidy up). I commented on how much I loved my car, it had a lot of memories in it, I grew up with it as it was the family Hot Rod.
    The girls over heard this and started on about how all guys thought of there cars as a penis extension and it was only a car etc. I let them go on, hell it was my car and I was happy with that.
    Later on, trying to be the nice guy (And get laid) I offered this chick a lift home which she accepted almost grudgingly. So as we walked out she was still commenting on how cars were just cars and nothing to carry on about, then mid sentence as she stepped out the front door.........

".....yeah boys and there bloody cars, OH my god I love it, that thing is so cool, I want one!!"

Even got to date her for a little while, so that was kinda cool.

Doc.:D

7. TeamEvil

TeamEvil

The car that I drove back then wasn't H.A.M.B. friendly, but the comment sure was.

I putting ten bucks into my primer black '63 Karmann Gha, and someone stopped at the light shouted, "NICE Stude ! What year is it?"

8. Cross Rodder

Cross Rodder

When hot roddings old timers who I respect, look over my recent finished coupe build tell me "thats just how we did it in the day....perfect". Makes all the hard work worth while.

9. Marty S1

Marty S1

July 4th, 1976.....from a new "summer camp Honey" at the beach.

"Hey, that's a nice old car!! Do you give rides?"

"Thanks!! Yes, I give rides....Do you?" :)

My once pride and joy 62' Impala SS has been gone for 34 yrs, but I still
    got the same ride!!!!:D

10. yblock292

yblock292

Driving my avatar, Old timer comes up to me at the store, "Now thats a real JALOPY" thought that was kool.

11. Put together and painted the '56 Olds in my avitar in '09 and quite often we get asked where we found that "old Kustom". The person is always glad we saved an "old Kustom" and asks if when we paint it will it be the same way.....LOL!!

12. I'll quote JustplainJ; "Your car gets more ass than a toilet seat!"....haha!

13. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

While at a filling station several years ago - a fellow with dark skin walked up and said "Hey man is that car 2 million or less?" On the serious side, people from years back NEVER remember me or the Stude - they always say Oh yea I remember that car - it's the one with the box on the back!!

14. krooser

krooser

It actually runs?

15. krooser

krooser

Got the same comment when I towed my '54 TR2 home...but I was in Indiana where they must love Studebakers....

16. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Last year at LARS Pat Ganahl came strolling by my car as I was trying to get it running (another story) an asked "didn't that thing used to have a Mustang engine in it" When I answered in the affirmative he said "I approve". Just to know he recognized my car was the compliment.

Attached Files:

17. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

I've had several ladies hang their panties from my rear-view mirror....lol

18. huntrod

huntrod

Pumping gas one day ,This dude across from me yells, MAN THAT CAR IS COOL! THANKS I REPLIED. Now everybody is looking my way when the man says. If that car had a paint job and some mufflers it would probley be a really nice car! I smiled waved and said thanks.

19. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

I hope you dont mind, but Im stealing that. THAT is just gold. :D

20. Saxxon

Saxxon

July long weekend we had Gravedigger at our track. I was in the staging lanes with the Scout when Gary Porter, the Gravedigger driver came over and gave the little beast a once over. He looked in, under and all around, then looked over and said this was the coolest thing he's ever seen. He went on to say that he loved the wheelstands we were pulling. 1/2 an hour later a Grave digger golf cart pulled up to our pits with 3 of the crew. They had come over to see the Scout. They took the time to look at our entire race operation (My Scout, brother's Ranger and his daughter's Jr. Dragster). They had nothing but good to say to all of us and had my niece give them a walk through on the Jr. These guys were class acts all around.

Attached Files:

21. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of Baltimore's original hot rodders, Pat McNeal sr, saw my car for the first time last year. He was willing to go to the mat with anyone that the car was built 50 years ago and had just been drug out of a barn. He was completely floored when he found out it was only 6 years old. That sure made my day.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  22. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I had the 406 Galaxie over at Sears Point many moons ago (late 70's, before muffler rules) for a little fun on Wednesday night, and it still had the 14:1 427 in it, Edelbrock cross-ram w/ 650DP's and a 324 duration Sig Erson so it really popped out the headers like a good FE does, and idled like a box of rocks- if you've never heard an FE with a lotta squeeze and a lotta stick you wouldn't understand. So another Napkin had this pretty clean old Nova funny car he found someplace and had a 427 Chebbie in it, and was running about 10.40, and they were in the staging lanes 4 lanes over from me, holding it at 6K setting the timing. So one of his guys walks over and tells me "I can hear your car idling over top of that one at 6 grand when I'm standing over there beside it" :p
    That was about 10 minutes before I dropped the driveshaft on the starting line :eek:

23. Newtonmc49

Newtonmc49

I must of been 17 years old, just took out the straight 6 in my 66 Mustang and put in a mild 302. I was on my way home one night out racing with my buddys when a car full of really cute girls pulled and rolled there windows down. One of them yelled out, "We love your car, and we love you! Can we have them?" also,....

My dad said I was going to destroy my Mustang by putting that V8 in it. I have never done a engine swap before, hell... I didnt even know how to change out a power stearing pump at the time! but, by the time I put that V8 and a new tranny and made everything really clean, changed all the 4 lug to 5 and what not. Just made it really nice you know. I fired that thing up and it sounded so good my dad came out and gave me the best compliment, said man Mike, im really proud of you! you made that car just flat out gorgeous. its so god damn pretty. made me smile.

24. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

I had a mildly built FE in a '62 Unibody shortbed, and a guy walked by and said "Well at least it aint a Chevy". I always assumed he was a Pontiac or Mopar guy.

25. A couple walking their dog at sundown, I had the door open and was doing some work on the A....."WOW!"

26. I was sitting at a Stop sign in the '32 when this pre-schooler on a trike yells "Wow, FIRE"! Then he does a thumbs up!! I waved at him and he scooted off. How cool is that? :)

-Dave

27. banditomerc

banditomerc

I remember back in ..i think '83 my buddy Tony and his '49 Merc mild custom ala James Dean and me with my just fully customized '51 merc ,drove up the Calif coast to attend the J.Dean memorial run/show in Cholome ,Ca.We stopped at a restaurant along the way,we parked by the entrance and as we were about to enter an elderly gentleman approached the two Mercs and commented,"That mercury(pointing to the '49 Merc)I know is a '49..but that other one must be a spaceship from Mars".That comment almost made me give up on customs,but being a true officianado of the custom resurgence back then i brushed of the comment and have stuck with my passion.

28. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

This is the best compliment I've got

[​IMG]

29. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

On my first shake down cruise, I drove to car show. When they announced a trophy for "Best in Show", I started looking around for another 3 window coupe. Then someone in crowd said they were talking about my car.

30. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Having it published in "HOT ROD" magazine!:D:D:D

Brian

Attached Files: