Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is the best compliment you've ever gotten about your car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wsdad, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Retrorod

Retrorod

....a carload of young kids drove by while I was gassin' up, they hollered "that thing is SICK". Being I'm the old fart category I had to look to my 9 year old grandson who lives next door to have him interpret that comment for me. He smiled and said "that means it is really COOL, Papa". OK, I'll buy that.

2. BigBlockItch57

BigBlockItch57

About 7 years ago when i was 18 i worked at a grocery store in the deli department. Everyday i would drive my 1965 f350 dump truck to work (its red) i always parked it in the side parking lot by the road....One day a old man comes in makes convo while im slicing his liverwurst he asked me if i knew whos dump truck that was out there...hes seen it everyday. I giggled and told him it was mine. Then he told me it wasnt mine....i continued to giggle and told him its mine and i know how to use to dump body too...have a nice day....

3. by a very good friend, after seeing my just finished 27 roadster for the first time.... "Much as you fuck up, you were bound to get one right sooner or later."
    After all these years that statement still brings a big smile to my face.

4. firingorder1

firingorder1

My sidecar doesn't bring too many compliments. So far the remark that has me made laugh was "Got the lunacy dial turned right up eh?"

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  5. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Is that thing legal?

6. Toner283

Toner283

I was over visiting our own Jeff Norwell & I took him out for a rip in the coupe. About halfway through the ride he looks at me & says "Man Chris, This thing is bitchin, just bitchin". Made my month to have a guy that sees & rides in all kinds of different cool cars say that about the car that my dad & I built. Makes me smile every time I think of it.

7. firingorder1

firingorder1

100%

8. beast460

beast460

i used to have a chevelle that got a lot of comments. the day after i bought my 67 c-10 a guy n a bike ran me down at a red light to tell me i had a cool truck. but when i was gassing up the 59 while ago the guy at the pump in front of me said "yep, sounds like you've got that thing tuned right". i've spent the last two weeks retro-tuning the p/o's work and had been a little frustrated. then yesterday i took it out and i decided that i had running as well as it could without re-building the carb. so, it made me feel pretty good to have somebody appreciate that it was running right.

9. Listed it for sale, put my web link where I chronicled the build, guy called - we came to numbers, he sent transport. Bought it from me sight unseen. I'm still baffled by it after 3 months.

10. henrietta the '38 Ford pickup is lettered as a shop truck for Drake Motor Co., our local Ford dealer from 1928-1956, phone 13 (actual phone number back in the day). At one of our local cruises, I overheard a guy who looked to be in his 70's tell somebody, "I can remember when Drake had that truck, used to see it all the time delivering parts." My truck was in Colorado when Drake had the Ford dealership here, and Drake's shop truck was a '37, but I let him enjoy his "memory," and I had a good laugh after he was out of sight.

11. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Of all the compliments, I guess the time was when a guy who has been staring at my chopped and channeled roadster says: That's my dream car.

12. sedanbob

sedanbob

Showing my car to some friends for the first time, wanted to hear it run. When I started it, I revved it just a bit. A lady I'd never seen before was walking by just then - she jumped a little when I revved it, looked over at the car and said "That is one, hot, rod Baby!". Then smiled and walked off. My wife was standing on the other side of the car and said "Baby?".

13. havi

havi

"Oh!, you mean it runs!?"

(inside joke)

14. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

"That car is going to be so cool when its finished" :D

15. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

"Wish it were mine and you had something nicer."

16. segajeep

segajeep

Did some engine work on my Beetle in my pal's garage. He moved his stuff into the rain so my car could have a place to stay.Said he felt privileged to have it at his place..

17. "Tell your parents they have a nice car..."

18. coppertone

coppertone

Back to Fifties this year. Poverty Flats introduces himself and says I need
    to bring my pickup to KKOA in July.

19. 59 brook

59 brook

on the family's summer road trip we stopped at 6 flags over atlanta . got there early and had a spot right up front .soon as we pulled in a lady in a mini van with some kids pulls up next to us. soon as we get out my 9 yr old daughter hits the switch and the wagon lays flat to the ground kids start ooohing and aahhing and mom goes thanks you just made me the most uncool mom on the planet .

20. vivalahotrod

vivalahotrod

When I said "Babe I got the hotrd running" and she said "Thank god it's outta the driveway"

I don't think it was a compliment though:p

Viva

21. jasone

jasone

I was cruisin' thru Arcadia, CA. a while back and a suburban full of high school age girls pulls up next to me in my '54 Ford. They all lean out the window and the front passenger hollers "that thing is fuckin' sexy"....then the driver, the mom I assumed, reached over and gave the front seat passenger a smack on the arm, for cussing out loud I guess. Made my year.

22. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

The cash from the new owner

23. Jeff J

Jeff J

When I had my old chopped merc , I was standing by the car and two gray haired old ladys where talking and one said to the other look Ethel they raised the doors on the yellow car ! And they were dead serious straight faced ,I almost pee d in my pants laughing !!

Attached Files:

24. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

I guess I've gotten a few fawnings over the years and cars, but still my hell & gone favorite is a simple thumbs up or a nod from another gearhead.

25. Jeff J

Jeff J

That was me Denise , on the way to Bonneville!!! LOL:D

26. Eight433

Eight433

I get TONS of comments about my little teardrop (home built, no plans) but the best so far was last weekend at a 3000+ car show, the promoter of another large show personally invited me to his show. I was flattered that he took the time to drive his easily 100k (epitome of a billit street rodded) 32 ford over to tell me how well he liked my steaming crap pile.
    [​IMG]

27. 1987
    Spending a weekend at The Inn at La Jolla in SoCal. The valet boss wants us to park our '62 Corvette on the sidewalk next to the valet station at the hotel entrance. Said it was the safest place to park, he'd watch it like a hawk and it'd get us a bottle of champagne sent to the room.

Next morning I'm warming the Vette up and an English (UK) guy comes out of the hotel. Tells me "that's the sexiest car I've ever seen and where can I buy one?" I say there's a collector car lot down the street that has a 1961. His reply.. "Oh, it's not a new one?"

Same car, same day....

Sitting at a stoplight on Mission Beach Blvd in San Diego with my wife as passenger. Bikini girl at crosswalk comes to wife's side, kneels down, leans on car door and asks me if I'll kick Mrs LowKat out, so she can take her place "in that beautiful car".

I ask Mrs LowKat what she thinks and she tells me "just drive the fuckin' car, asshole"

I tell Bikini girl, "maybe next time sweety"

28. CalGasser

CalGasser

Years ago, our club took members of this senior retirement home out for Sunday breakfast. My car being the loudest was the last car to pull up to take a passenger. The last member was this big old guy who seemed pretty standoffish that seemed pretty apprehensive about joining the other seniors who rode in more sedate cars like my friend's Rolls, etc. Reluctantly he jumped in but never said a word to anyone to and during breakfast. When it was time to leave, he rode back with me and I asked him if he wanted me to jump on it. This was the first time his face changed from the usual solemn look - he actually cracked a grin giving me his approval (but still never said a word). I jumped on it a bit and dropped him off and told him I hoped he enjoyed the breakfast and ride. He never said a word - I was beginning to wonder if he could talk... :confused:

Many years later at a car show, some guy comes up to me and says, "you don't know me but you gave my father a ride in your car years ago. He's gone now but I want to thank you for making his day." This got (and still does) me all teary eyed and choked me up. This old guy (who didn't say a word) must've shared with his son his experience in my Willys. I'd like to think that he took that fond memory with him to the grave & beyond.

The other compliment I get is when I pass parked cars, I set off their alarms - through the mufflers! :D

29. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

You did great by that passenger---we're all gonna get "there" someday----

30. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

A guy here on the HAMB said that he was pulling his Kustom Merc into a gas station and since it was so low it scraped on the driveway pulling in. A guy came rushing out pulling a floor jack saying hold up buddy I will fix your flat! - - Guy said to me can't be leave yer drivin that thing, what is it? Still don't know if that was a complement or a slam.LOL