Register now to get rid of these ads!

crate engine from advanced auto parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by beast460, Sep 14, 2011.

1. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I have wondered about the quality of some if the cheaper long blocks on eBay too.

Not to replace a custom built high end engine in the hot rod, but as a new bullet for a winter beater, etc.

I guess maybe quantity sold and feedback would at least give you a clue. There are some pretty attractive prices there.

On the other hand, I just bought a used long block that has been well built and only has 1000 or so miles from someone wanting an upgrade. I won't go into detail, but I bight a lot of engine for $600!

2. ferrets bueller

ferrets bueller
    from NW Indiana

^ i like your sig. Good taste in OT cars :D

3. Does anybody know who builds the engines for Advance? I would bet that the same builder's engines are sold through other outlets in addition to Advance, unless Advance owns their own rebuilding facility, which I doubt, seems more likely that they are contracted with a production rebuilder.

4. Johnny Speedster

Johnny Speedster
    from Atlanta

Most are Jasper or Blueprint. I would not use either one. Even the GM are not all new blocks. Read the fine print first.

5. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Summit, Jegs, Jasper and others are good choices for getting crate/rebuilt engines, IF you don't want to rebuild on your own. Do a little research in your area and I'm sure you'll find a shop/mechanic who has a good reputation for building engines.

6. i think it is medalest out of mexico is the advance builder

7. storm king

storm king

Blueprint does not build motors for Advanced Auto Parts. A Blueprint motor is just that, a motor which has been blueprinted, and all the rod and mains are the same oversize, as are all the pistons. They are a well built motor...
    I'd bet that both Jeg's and Summit offer Ford long blocks as well...they do, $1,799.00 for a nice Blueprint long block, as in with heads, and they ship then next day. If you want to plug and play, I doubt you could do much better than that.

8. Johnny Speedster

Johnny Speedster
    from Atlanta

Not blueprinted.. Blueprint engines formally known as Marshal engine out of Neb.

9. rld14

rld14

OT car? Used engine from car-part.com

Mercury? Probably $500 for a good used one.

10. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

"Most are Jasper"

What do you base that on?

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Where I used to work at one time we were one of Jasper's largest buyers. They were pretty good but even they had to admit to us that 10% were going to be NG right out of the box. We were finding it more like 25%.

Rebuilt motors are always a crapshoot.

Don

12. Gman0046

Gman0046

Maybe I'm just lucky but I've never had a problem with a GM SBC crate motor. I think its cheaper in the long run. To me a junk yard motor is just that. Why buy a pig in a poke? How many rebuild horror stories have we read about on this site alone?

13. cooger

cooger

I've done it all as stated in the threads above. New, rebuilt, used, crate, etc.etc.
    In the end the best deal is to have a quality machine shop in your area (check with rod dudes or roundy round types) put together a good long or short block for you.

14. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

All these stories make me really curious. I'd steer clear of them for sure with the majority of horror stories.
    Several years ago a kid I know that worked at AAP ordered in a "corvette" motor for his beater truck. I heard in the process he unloaded it with the forklift and dropped it. Story was that he swapped components to a new block. Wonder how many off sized pistons were shoved into that motor.

15. Deuces

Deuces

Mine was!! A FMS B-58 351W short block minus the oil pump and pan for 1300 bucks.. I took it apart and honed the bores +.001" to make a 352ci Windsor... I used the same pistons and rings during final assembly...

16. Deuces

Deuces

That's sad!.. :(

17. jipp

jipp

thank you for the information.. sounds like even a GM crate engine is a crap shoot. they sure pimp them out as being the best bang for the buck..
    chris.

18. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

10 years ago I bought a Jasper 350/300hp long block. It was great and I still have it waiting for a nother ride. That's all I got.

19. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Being that I work at a Chevrolet dealership, I've sold several Goodwrech crate engines to people. My personal experience with them is good---only one gave any problems at all, and that was in the form of a leaking rear main seal.

20. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

You never know what you'll get buying remanufactured. We bought a remanufactured cat 3204 diesel engine. It had the wrong timing gears. When we pulled the head to remove the lifters to get the camshaft out, the pistons had 1/8" of carbon on top. We sent it back.

What I like about GM or Ford crate engines is that they're warrantied through any dealer.