Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need help getting lubed up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grego31, Sep 9, 2011.

1. grego31

grego31
    from Sac, CA

My speedometer on the 1950 Ford Shoebox that I finally got running is making some horrible noises. The cable is new and properly greased up. I tried squirting some lube in the back side but no help. Any pointers or do I have to take it apart? I took the speedo housing apart to fix up the lighting but didn't really see how to take the speedo unit apart.
    The needle is smooth most of the time but will jump around once in a while.
    Any help to quiet this beast would be greatly appreciated.

2. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

There should be a oil wick hole covered by a brass cap just forward of where the nut connects to the speedometer, try oiling it and see if that works. If not it will have to be repaired.

3. Even though the cable is new, if possible I'd disconnect it and pull the cable core out of the housing and inspect the length of it for any burrs or any signs of kinking. Make sure the core slides freely in and out of the casing.

If there's a threaded connection at the ends of the cable try loosening them up a turn or two and see if the noise goes away. The core of the cable may be slightly too long and bottoming out in the driven gear or speedo head.

4. MORRISGAUGE

MORRISGAUGE

If the speedo head is making noise, it needs to be taken apart for cleaning and proper greasing/lubrication. Proper disassembly, as well as calibration, requires special tooling. I'd recommend sending it off to a shop.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011

5. tbill

tbill
    from central ny

as mentioned, there is a lube hole on the speedo itself with a little plug, they few i have done had what used to be wax or grease, and after so much time, it turned to almost rock, lol. if you determine it's not the cable making noise, pull the speedo, pop that plug out, dig out the remnants of what used to be the lube, clean it up, and put some oil in it.

6. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

lol

7. grego31

grego31
    from Sac, CA

I was waiting for someone to drop into the gutter!!
    I loosened up the cable at the back of the housing and the noise mostly went away. But I noticed the odometer is not turning. I will get it out and look for the lube points. Hopefully it will get it working. If not, any suggestions for a shop to take it to? I am in Sacramento CA.

8. limp

limp

Evem though it may be a stupid question i will ask it. I have a similar problem witha noisy speedo on my f1.What kind of lube should be used? ky?

mike

9. knotttty

knotttty

the water based ones clean up the best..... so I have been told......... ;))

10. If it worked before you loosened, then stopped when you loosened, maybe cable is a little short and was not fully engaged ?

11. MORRISGAUGE

MORRISGAUGE

If the speedometer needle is moving but the odometer has stopped, your gearing is worn out. That is what happens when they don't get serviced. There are a lot of shops out there advertising speedometer rebuilds, including myself. Assume to pay $150 for a proper rebuild +parts if your gears are shot.

12. fryguy

fryguy

Sorry to bring this thread back up but I am having similar issues with my speedo in my f100. The speed cable was shot went I bought the truck so I replaced. When I take it for a drive, the speedo will work and then all of a sudden it will peg with a horrible schreeching noise, then drop back to normal. Seems to do this every few minutes so I diconnected it until I figure it out. Is it a lubrication issue?

Fryguy

13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Any auto parts store should have a tube of Speedo Cable Grease for $1.79, a lifetime supply if you grease your cable every 10 or 20 years like you should.

14. fryguy

fryguy

Bought a can of graphite lubricant and sprayed inside the speed where the cable screws into the speedo. Hooked the cable back in and took her for a spin and it was all better for now