Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ring and Pinion Swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scoobyscooter, Sep 14, 2011.

1. scoobyscooter

scoobyscooter

Hello All,
    I've got the stock 235, three speed, closed driveline and rear end and I'm running 14 in tires. The gear ration is 3.70:1 (37 T ring and 10 T pinion), and needless to say, the motor is pretty wound up at freeway speed of 65. A friend gave me a rear end from a powerglide car of the same year and it's got the 3.55:1 (37 T ring and 11 T pinion) ratio in it. I did a little math and I think if I use the current 37 T ring with the powerglides 11 T pinion i should have around a 3.36 ratio. I want to keep the original closed driveline setup but i need better freeway cruising. Before I do that I have a couple questions that hopefully the gurus on the board can answer.
    1. Is the 3.36 ratio so high that it would cause the motor to lug when taking off in first.
    2. Will the ring / pinion combo i'm thinking of mesh without issue
    3. Will freeway passing power be severly affected.

Sorry about the long post...Thanks in Advance

2. 1st you absolutely can not mix and match a ring and pinion they come as a matched set,

and tire height will make a difference on if its lazy and hard to get moving

3. scoobyscooter

scoobyscooter

Thanks for the info. I managed to find a matched 3.55 set out of a powerglide car. I just got done with that install.