Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bonneville styled 1932 tudor build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Salt Flats Speed Shop, Oct 17, 2009.

1. hechtspeed

hechtspeed

Cool info! So, now it begs the question, "What happened to the '36 5 window?" ;)

2. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

I was turning it into a 3 window, but i ended up selling most of the parts off of it and now its just in pieces. Ha

[​IMG]

brEad likes this.
  3. daddio211

daddio211

You sir, are a metal master!

4. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

A very enjoyable thread Chris...excellent.

5. hechtspeed

hechtspeed

SPent the last 2 nights reading through this thread. Man o man! What a great journey to see this thing go from that rusty forest find to this hot rod. Glad you have taken the time to share the info and pictures in the last 48 pages for all to enjoy and learn from. You're gonna have such a memorable time driving this thing on I80 West that first trip come 2012.

6. This is such a cool car. Great job.

7. fonti

fonti

Chris,
    this car is gonne be (well, already is!) an awsome hot rod!! Look very forward to see it running...

8. dad-bud

dad-bud

Chris, a great job so far - the tudor looks amazing - the proportions are spot-on.

I'm sure there are lots of things other people would have done differently - fuel tank, faux-patina, etc, but it's your car to do any way you want and you have done an amazing job and are destined for greatness in your rod-building future.

A big Congrats and Thanks for all the posts - keep 'em comin'

9. Chris, I did not get to make the trip out this year with the bones boys so I thought I would check in on how you are doing on the sedan....KILLER DUDE. Hard to belive what all you have got done in one year. OUTSTANDING!!! Makes me want to blow mine apart & start over.
    PS. I will make it next year & hope to see it on the salt.
    Dennis

10. TubularGoose

TubularGoose

So this goes back a ways but that frame and cross member styling is fantastic!

11. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

Thanks guys for all the comments.

The other day I got lead onto an old make shift trailor that had a super nice 32' heavy axle under it. I got the whole thing for 100$. So I replaced the 32' axle that was on my car with this new one.

Also got the body off for hopefully the last time. Now its just finishing up the chassis, painting all the pieces, and doing the final assembly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Great score. It is looking good.

13. Chris,
    Want to part with the old axle? I sure could use one...

14. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

I might be holding on to the other axle for an upcoming project. But if I go another direction on the axle Ill let you know.

15. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

thanks for sharing this build

16. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

Ive been working on the exhaust system in the car. I took a 48" section of 3" exhaust pipe and tapered it down to 2". It just pokes out the side of the car in front of the tires. This section will be straight pipes, and then the rest of the exhaust will go through the middle of the car and through mufflers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Excellent build. Thanks for posting all the pics and info.

18. Wow turned out killer, not one for fake patina but this one turned out bitchin'!!!

Justin

19. redzula

redzula

subscribed cool build

i wish I noticed this earlier

20. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

Got the rear webs, and rear boxing plate back from the laser cutter today. So I got them tacked in place in the rear radius rods.

I made another boxing plate that the shocks will mount to. It will be welded flush and smooth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Southfork

Southfork

Thanks for the additional tech and pics, Chris. Getting some good ideas from you.

22. nowhereman

nowhereman
    from illinois

23. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

Got the rest of the exhaust run through the back. And also got the passenger side exhaust hooked into the main exhaust.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. VonKool13

VonKool13

Lookin good. The rear wishbones/ladder bars are playing tricks with my eyes! :) I might be stealing your exhaust hangers for my jalopy!

25. -Brent-

-Brent-

That sucker is going to be LOUD when it is straight-piped.

26. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

Tha'ts the plan! I think having both options of either through the mufflers or out the straight pipes will be nice. Now I just have to figure out a neat end cap for the straight pipes that can easily be removed. I don't want to weld on a flange with a bolted on plate. I'm wanting something that screws into the end. Any ideas guys?

27. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Maybe something like this ??? looking excellent by the way.

[​IMG]

28. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

I like that! Ya something like that. You make that? Internally how does it come off?

29. How much travel do you have between the rear axle and the exhaust? Not that I'm critiquing you, it' just that my Fordor sedan will have about the same amount when I do my exhaust and I was worried it may not be enough. If it works for you I should be in the clear as well.

Think you'll have any issues?

Great build!

30. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

Ive got a little over 3" from the housings to the exhaust. But i'm planing on putting in bump stops to prevent that from ever hitting.