Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Metalflake for dummies....would this work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RoadFarmer, Sep 13, 2011.

1. I'm fixing up a minibike and my lil guy told me I need to paint it orange. I planned on doing a rattle can finish.....I figured it'd be good enough. I was wanting to use s ome Roth Flake rattle bomb spray paints' but they don't make it in orange. So here's where I got my idea.....I was thinking...could I paint the frame in an orange color then while it's still wet, sprinkle orange flake all over the frame and then cover it with a ton of clear? I figured id have to use a small sized flake to make sure they lay down flat. Anyone ever tried anything like that?
    Another idea I had was to paint the frame black then sprinkle orange flake over it and have it be more subtle....just black with orange flake in it..just not sure if I'd be able to get it even enough.

I don't have any real painting stuff, that's why I wanted to go the rattle bomb route.

Am I an idiot? Or would this work? Haha thanks for the help

2. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

You are likely gonna end up with an ugly texture finish that is not going to look better than just bombing it plain orange. It is gonna be hard enough to chase all over the different sides of the frame keeping it wet enough to be smooth without trying to do what you are thinking of.

Either put the flake in the clear, or choose another route and you will be way more happy. Frankly, I'd just bomb the bike with the orange and let the kid have at it.

1950heavymetal likes this.
  3. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

All sprinkling flake on paint you're trying to keep wet enough to allow it lay flat will get you is a huge mess and a tone of clean up work:eek:

I recommend shopping around some til I found a bronze or redish gold metallic in a rattle can.... Somewhere out there in spray can land is something that's close enough to the effect your son is hoping for....

4. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

5. Tinman, that burnt orange color is great! Thanks for plan b!

6. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

get a can of clear to go over it, it doesnt shine that well without it. Turns into a whole nother level of gruvyness with it though.

7. 72IH

72IH

I saw some rattle cans of flake on Ed Roth web site. Google Roth metal flake see what comes up.

I did my daughters softball helmet in red. Lil monster dry flake. Kind of a hillbilly method but it worked.

Painted a silver base with a candy red clear. Then dumped the flake in my hand and gently blew (with my mouth not compressed air) the flake onto the wet candy. While it was still tacky I put on some nitrile gloves and patted the flake flat. If it was sticking up I would hit it with a light shot of clear then pat it back down again after it was tacky.

Then it was two rattle cans of duplicolor clear to finish it off.

Didnt turn out too bad.

8. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

I've got the perfect solution if you really want flake..its gonna sound real gay too...go to your nearest craft or hobby store and get some spray glitter! It's comes in an aerasol can just like paint. It's basiclly clear with whatever color glitter you pick. Do a search on the internet.i think the stuff I bought was made by krylon.

9. 72IH

72IH

Here it its.

Attached Files:

10. 72IH

72IH

Next softball helmet I'm going to try the Rattle Bomb cans.

11. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I'm going to go against the grain here, but I've been painting stuff for a LOOOOONG time.
    Forget it. It's going to look like crap. Either get the right tools to do the job, send it out, or forget it.
    First, sprinkling flake on anything larger than a MC tank is a lesson in futility. AND it makes a huge mess...hell, even spraying it does! And how are you going to do the sides, and bottom evenly?
    Second, how many spray cans do you thing you need to spray a frame? LOTS! And that's just to get the color on...what about the clear? To bury the flake you're going to need even more. Spray bomb paint is notoriously thin, so you'll need lot of coats of it. It is also much weaker than a catalyzed clear you mix and spray. So it will fail sooner...and a frame DOES get a bit of abuse, so you need a pretty tough paint on it.
    Next...cost. How much does all that spray can shit cost. You can get a cheap spray gun, and REAL paint for almost the same money....and you still get to keep the spray gun when you're done, to do another job.

12. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

killjoy:D

13. DaTinman, thanks for the advise on the paint. I got a few cans of it and it turned out great!

[​IMG]

14. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

nice colour.cool wheels.

15. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Looks awesome! Let's see a pic of the whole bike!

16. Still in assembly phase, but it's coming along. I need to get a seat and some brake hardware

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

Attached Files:

17. whid

whid

the motor looks huge on that thing....looks like fun.......whid

18. chaddilac

chaddilac

That stuff is good and lays nice!! I helped paint a buddy's wheels a couple weeks ago with the same stuff and the orange!! it's nice!!

19. fifTsix

fifTsix
    from TEXAS

Cool! Now im gonna have to get mine out of the shed and fix it up. Where did you get those wheels?

20. The HellyDid

The HellyDid
    from Florida

Road Farmer, that 6.5 hp is a torque monster, I just installed one on a buddies Doodlebug....it will pull the wheel no problem....I hope he can handle it cause it's quick....oh I bought me one too $99 at HF

Attached Files:

21. Haha it's for me , little guy just wanted to pick the color! I'll be ridin this at the LSRU this year!

22. The HellyDid

The HellyDid
    from Florida

What frames are those, I like....I have an old Powerdyne

Attached Files:

23. Been told maybe Montgomery ward frame, wheels are from Azusa.

24. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

I did a "build thread" on this a couple of years ago. Painited with rattle can gold and rattler can orange. Then mixed roth flake in a can of clear from home depot and brushed it on. Layed out flat and smooth. Sparkles like a sprayed on paint job... and 4 yrs later still looks good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

301203_1835375742729_1790522513_1243954_664955367_n.jpg

I think we all hit the same mini-bike-motor-sale last weekend at harbor freight!

26. elvisrising

elvisrising

goozgaz tell me more about this thread. i have to old surfboards that i want to try this on

27. elvisrising

elvisrising

WOW! i want to try this on some old surfboards i have. where do i find this thread for this mini bike? IMG_5512.JPG IMG_5510.JPG

28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

thread is 3 years old.

29. indyjps

indyjps

The thread is old but I'm bumping it anyway, I was messing around and shot my mailbox with rustoleum leather brown, then remembered I had some copper pearl, shot another coat of rustoleum with cpper pearl mixed pretty heavy, covered that with the remains of a 10 year old can of cheap clear with generic reducer. While I don't recommend the rustoleum as a base its all held up fine for 3 years on a mailbox.
    Elvisrising, go to tcpglobal, or southern polyurethanes site and read up on what they offer, SPI is limited on base colors but has great primer and clear, I bought my pearl from an ebay seller. I'm not painting cars with it just messing around repainting shop equipment with an interesting finish. shoot something, have fun with it.

30. elvisrising

elvisrising

aw cool thanks indyjps. yeah no spray gun here. that's why i like the brushing on method