Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A late introduction-Junior Conway coupe build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jivin jer, Oct 10, 2009.

1. wizzard23

wizzard23

Keepum comin' Jer. I'm still enjoyin' your Salina stories!

2. jivin jer

jivin jer

Looking to the awards ceremony at 1:00, there are 28 trophy awards that include the top 25 cars at the show. There are 4 money awards from $500.00 to $1000.00. These may come with a trophy as well. Being new at all this Im unfamiliar with how this show part works. The only thing that I really know how to do is build a period Kustom.

Mom and I came back from an errand to hear Ron say that someone from the show crew came by with a message for me. Dont leave early, your going to get an award. Most everyone had left late Saturday and were leaving now. The heat had taken its toll on man and car. I looked at Mom, took a deep breath and prepared to go over to the stage area, find some shade and camp out.

Mom and I sat through 2 hours of miserable 104 degree heat to hear Jerry Titus go through all the awards and say thanks for coming. I went down to the stage and told Jerry that we had been told to not leave early, we were going to get an award. He replied something about my car (that I didnt understand). I interrupted him to say my car is right over there and pointed. "So you didnt even get one of the top 25? No. Nothing? No". He looked at me, smiled and shrugged his shoulders.

I walked off, got Mom and came back to load the car. Ron asked how'd you do? When I replied, his answer was, bizarre!.

All the way home I was muttering to myself that the left hand doesnt know what the right hand is doing. This Moriarity guy must have been on a judges panel, cast his vote and it wasnt enough.

More lookers.

Attached Files:

• 937.jpg
      937.jpg
      File size:
      394.9 KB
      Views:
    • 939.jpg
      939.jpg
      File size:
      388.7 KB
      Views:
    • 941.jpg
      941.jpg
      File size:
      405.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Man, I sure hope this story has a happy ending....

4. wizzard23

wizzard23

WOW!!!!!!!! I don't know what to say, crazy. Sumtin not right on this deal.

5. jivin jer

jivin jer

After coming home Monday I checked in on the H.A.M.B. and this is what was waiting for me.

Attached Files:

6. jivin jer

jivin jer

This is the trophy that I would have received on Saturday night if Id been there or, on Sunday (???). It weighs almost 12 pounds. Its a very unique and substantial piece and Im very proud and honored to have it. It would have made the ride home different than what it was. I dont know how the Saturday night awards are connected to the Sunday awards
    Thank you very much Mark.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  7. wizzard23

wizzard23

Glad this turned out good.

8. spinner

spinner

HI Jerry way yo go . A real honor to be picked by Mark with his eye for customs. c'ya

9. jivin jer

jivin jer

I want to say that when I consider the idea of going to a show I just dont see how this car can compete with the kinds of cars that we see nowadays at the typical custom/hot rod car show. The period that this car represents (up to 59-60) is the driver custom era usually built with limited funds. Pat Ganahl calls this the classic custom era. There were some exceptions of course (there always are). The doors were never taken off of this car (just like the original). The group that came after were the full on, give no quarter ask none show cars. They were the completely chromed, as shiny on the underside as the top side, candy apple/pearl/metal flake dream machines. Ganahl calls this the show car era.

This is especially true with the level of cars that are being built today, with the exception that their a little less garish and overdone, with a lot more taste. The level of finish and detail are unmatched on these cars.

If Junior was able to take a vacation from work and had the funds he would build a different car than he did in 56-57 at 17 years old. Although at first glance they might look like the same car. On occasion I would look up to see one of these kinds of cars going by at the KKOA event.

I think the value of this car lies in the fact that it depicts a particular car, a particular person, a particular shop and a particular place and time, done in that style and level of detail/finish.

I do think the finish on this car is better (flatter) than on the original. I couldnt get beyond the intimidation factor (see post #366) after meeting Jr in his shop and seeing (handling) some of his work.

There shouldnt be any good reason for anyone to feel intimidated (if by chance they are) by this car.

So, where does this car and those that are like it out there (and will follow) fall in the scheme of things? If there needs to be a remedy perhaps create a class award (trophy) thats set aside exclusively for the best original and/or depiction/clone of a car from this important era. This might make things easier on everyone.

Just sayin.

Attached Files:

Lou kriger likes this.
  10. Trukcrazy

Trukcrazy

Congratulations on the great looking trophy Jerry. It is well deserved for all of the hard work and passion involved.

11. jivin jer

jivin jer

The other thing I was thinking about on the way home was the fix for this vapor lock problem. When I first bought this donor car it had an aftermarket accessory radiator fan. It took awhile to locate it because I still have everything that came off this car. Heads, intake, headers, wheels/tires, radiator, etc. etc.. I can mount it in a temporary manner in the same location, just to get past this blast furnace that some off us are caught in these past months. Then I can remove it and be back in the correct configuration.

I was anxious to find it so that I could see if that's all I would need to do. There were thoughts about a cool can to keep the gas from boiling in the carbs. I hooked it up and let the car run with the hood open in the shop for ½ an hour, no problems. I took it out in the hot sun and shut the hood for 20 minutes. I lost about 2 quarts of coolant just before I shut it off (it was still running). I think this is all I need, and with some awareness about the heat I can make this work.

More looks and lookers.

Attached Files:

• 583.JPG
      583.JPG
      File size:
      293.7 KB
      Views:
    • 585.JPG
      585.JPG
      File size:
      301 KB
      Views:
    • 587.JPG
      587.JPG
      File size:
      300.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  12. jivin jer

jivin jer

Hey! We just got in last night. We went to Seattle for a week. We havn't been back for 4 years. We raised our family there and thats were we had our business, Exhibition Automotive (in Kent). We're gettin' ready to go to the "invasion" this weekend in Dallas.

13. jivin jer

jivin jer

We went to the THEM "the invasion" car show and street party Saturday. Very cool, had a good time. This is right after arriving.

Attached Files:

14. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

It was nice to get a chance to see your coupe in person this weekend, Very cool, definately on of my favorites of the Invasion.. Thanks for bringing it out, hope to see it again next time !

15. jivin jer

jivin jer

This is my new friend, Jerry Taylor's (jernlee) cool chopped Merc'. Jake wanted us positioned to high light the Tree's sign.

Attached Files:

• 010.JPG
      010.JPG
      File size:
      278.4 KB
      Views:
    • 011.JPG
      011.JPG
      File size:
      285 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  16. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Jer, keep us posted on your vaper lock problem. I have had vaper lock on 2 occasions with my new car this summer. Its a 25 tub with a full hood, flathead powered. I have been told more than once if you pour 1oz of #2 diesel per gallon of gas at fillup it will solve the problem. I am going to give it a try. Beautiful job on that shoebox!

17. jivin jer

jivin jer

Thanks Marty, I think the storm has past for me. I think anything above 94 degree's puts me in risk of vapor lock if I run for anything longer than 15 minutes.

I don't think I'll use the accesseory fan because the extreme heat is gone. Next year I will do the fan and see how I do.

I don't like the cool can idea because I'd have to drill my aprons. I would have to do a 2" strap off of the r frame rail to attach everything to. I will do that if I have to.

I am interested in what you find out about the diesel

The vapor lock fix has been pure (no etheanol) gas.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  18. jivin jer

jivin jer

A street party and some rides.

Attached Files:

• 013.JPG
      013.JPG
      File size:
      294 KB
      Views:
    • 014.JPG
      014.JPG
      File size:
      290.4 KB
      Views:
    • 015.JPG
      015.JPG
      File size:
      280.3 KB
      Views:
    • 016.JPG
      016.JPG
      File size:
      294 KB
      Views:
    • 017.JPG
      017.JPG
      File size:
      297.3 KB
      Views:
    • 018.JPG
      018.JPG
      File size:
      295.9 KB
      Views:
    • 022.JPG
      022.JPG
      File size:
      293.9 KB
      Views:
    • 019.JPG
      019.JPG
      File size:
      294.9 KB
      Views:
    • 021.JPG
      021.JPG
      File size:
      290.1 KB
      Views:
  19. jivin jer

jivin jer

The shadows are gettin' longer.

Attached Files:

• 026.JPG
      026.JPG
      File size:
      281.7 KB
      Views:
    • 027.JPG
      027.JPG
      File size:
      260.3 KB
      Views:
  20. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

Jer,now next year,you have to bring it to Lead East here in NJ.The car would make a HUGE hit out here!.Looking good and congrats on the KKOA award!

21. jivin jer

jivin jer

It came time for the awards and we got this. Very cool.

Attached Files:

22. jivin jer

jivin jer

We came back from the awards to find this...

Attached Files:

• 028.JPG
      028.JPG
      File size:
      266.4 KB
      Views:
    • 030.JPG
      030.JPG
      File size:
      274.3 KB
      Views:
    • 032 (2).JPG
      032 (2).JPG
      File size:
      263.4 KB
      Views:
    • 034.JPG
      034.JPG
      File size:
      291.6 KB
      Views:
    • 035.JPG
      035.JPG
      File size:
      292.2 KB
      Views:
  23. bob t!

bob t!
    BANNED

That should never happen with out your permission.

24. Flywheel Photography

Flywheel Photography
    from Austin, Tx

Photos ok, but a full shoot? With models leaning on and touching the car not so much a fan of. And the guy with jeans, rivets scare me.

Cant wait to see you in November Jerry!

25. Trukcrazy

Trukcrazy

Jer, your car looks better in every new picture of it. I am still waiting on the coffee-table book described in my old post here. Incredible car and story. Thanks for sharing it.

26. jivin jer

jivin jer

Well I guess Im going to have to respond to you Truk.

Ive thought about this book thing for some time. Before you brought it up and started pestering me about it.

While doing this thread Ive discovered a propensity for it.

I do have 9 chapters (41 pages) that represent my early days and the powers at work that brought me to the place where it was time to do something that led to this build. I think with pics I can do maybe 150 pages including Jrs build story.

I did send some data to a couple of car book publishers. I got one reply. It stated that the subject matter was to narrow, not enough general interest. I could have done a better job describing what this was all about. They wanted to know how many books they could sell. I hadnt the slightest clue.

Attached Files:

27. hitman912

hitman912
    BANNED

I hope you told that dork to get the fuck away from your car. And told those other idiots to get a microfiber and get rid of the grease prints and to pray they didn't scratch the paint.

28. Trukcrazy

Trukcrazy

Sorry about the pestering Jer. There are self publishing sites where you can put the book together and sell them yourself or create an e-book. Lulu.com is one I know about. I think there would be enough interest from the car enthusiasts. :)

29. jivin jer

jivin jer

When we were at the GNRS we met a couple (Bill & Jean Dyson) that we had fun with. They were from Burleson Texas. They invited us to come down to thier picnic that they have every year in Sept.. We thought that they were just regular folks. OH NO! As you'll see. These are the grounds.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  30. Geez, I hope you told that guy in the green dress to get his damn hands off your car.