Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Real Cool Duals - The BumpereX

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

I want some!
    those are cool.

3. The Hoffman Group of the 50s! ;)

4. PUMPKINHEAD

PUMPKINHEAD

Those are cool!

Reminds me of the dummy tail pipe for the Volvo C30 I saw not too long ago that some aftermarket company has to make it look like it has duals.

5. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

"Tailpipe can be inserted from any angle" (Just shove that SOB in there!). Not a bad looking exhaust tip though.

License plate looks to be a jumbled Arizona plate;

HBIEOHA 56
    CBARD CANTOR BFATE

But why? Was the company afraid the state of Arizona would come after them in a law suit for associating their state with schlock accesories? LOL.

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good call, Ryan. "Innocent times"? Hah! The idea of truth in advertising was a bit new then, wasn't it? The topic pictures are awesome and I can recall when custom and hotrod stuff was advertised on TV. Gratiot Auto Supply had a few TV commercials and so did "Hollywood Speed Shop", a relative of our buddy "safariwagon" here on the board. Even worse ad claims used to come from medicine and food supplements. Shit man, there were doctors promoting certain brands of cigarettes!

Innocent my ass...but thanks for look back. Always a treat.

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I have seen those several times out looking at stuff... They never seem to be salvagable and I always wondered what they were.

8. I have one of those, looking for a second one. Still waffling about whether I'd actually use them.

9. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

10. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love that the ad actually calls it a gimmick!

11. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

All that old weird stuff is cool, like Winky the Blinking Cat, court jester hood ornaments and organ pipe speakers.
    I'd run those if I had an appropriate car, part of the culture. No worse than dummy spots!

12. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

That is just one of the koolest things that were around in the 50's and 60's ! I really like that Duel exhaust look and want a pair of them ! they look kool and are easy to install ! What more can you ask for .
    BTW , i also had a nice Transistor Radio collection too ! Most came from Hong Kong back then but the good ones were the ones with the tallest antennas ! They were like $3 to $5 each but they all worked but didn't pick up shit ! The one I wish I still had was the one from a Sinclair Service Station . My Grandfather owned a Sinclair service station and I use to get all the Kids stuff all the time from radios , kites , ball and so many other toys for the kids back then .
    After the portable transistor radios I collected some of the small battery record players from the late 60's and early 70's . Wish I kept them also !

Retro Jim

13. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

14. jipp

jipp

yeah that seems spendy for a "gimmick" hah.. the guy needs to add this to his classified add :D
    chris.

15. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Those are neat. Almost as cool as one of them cheetah heads ... .

(What was the story on those?)

16. rember that at the time those sold for $10 that i bought a model a coupe body roller car for $7.00 so what is the value of them now???:eek:

17. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

My buddy has an "Imi tach" which was short for imitation tach. It's printed right on the face of the dial. A pure unadulterated fake for the steering column or dash board. I'm not sure if it has fake wires or not but there is nothing inside. It was like 9.50 when a Dixco was 19.95. I remember them when they were knew but his is the only one I've ever seen since then. He loves it for it's fakery and removes it before he sells the car. Now me, I just use a non operable Dixco to get the same reading.:D

I have made a few Y pipes near the bumper for people that wanted to fake a dual system.

18. hotdamn

hotdamn

yea not to mention you could be chemically castrated as a child for being seen as "promiscuous or difficult"... or publicly murdered for standing up for something you believe in if public opinion differed from yours.

and I digress.

things are not always as they seem.

19. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I love sclock accessories from the '50's...those are $3.75 each in my 1959 Whitney catalog here. They even have accessories FOR bumper exhausts: Little curved scoops to direct the emerging fumes down to avoid rotting the bumper...
    There must be 50 pages of neat schlock in the catalog...one hood ornament has wings that FLAP as the air passes over them, another has a propeller on the front driving an air speed gauge on the back! A "Car-John" looks to be simply a movie popcorn bucket...there is a early version of the G-meter, just a fluid loop that drives a puddle of something uphill on the scale under acceleration...plaid ANYTHING....must be 50 kinds of exhaust end and 100 patent rear views...if these people had been rounded up and put to work designing a moon racket, we would have been there by '61! Talk about the best and the brightest...

20. OLLIN

OLLIN

21. OLLIN

OLLIN

yeah ive always wondered about those too...
    I remember the rockstar with torque wrench magazine article and he had one on his car.

I found a cool one, it looks the same, but it mounts on the wall and the mouth moves and the eyes light up! Ill have to get it working someday. Its pretty cool..

22. autobilly

autobilly

What's next, faux Olds Rocket tappet covers for your small block Chev?
    Oh, they've been done already.:D

23. Well, sheesh, I have a set on my '61. Never figured I'd be a style-setter. Imagine that. What a hoot. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

24. TurboT

TurboT
    from China

25. Illusion can work the other way around though too; I just scored a Philco AR-20 radio. I'm going to re-mold the clear dial face that's broken, gut the case and build up a Bluetooth receiver/controller and amp in the style of Ryan's radio mod. The illusion will be that I have an old Philco radio in my car. That it'll be playing tunes from my phone in my pocket is for us knowledgeable folk.:D

26. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Slick !!!!
    Thanks for posting..
    Cheers........

27. MrFalcon62

MrFalcon62

They certainly appear to be.

but, I'm not gonna pay $1,000...unless, there is a car attached to 'em

28. EVANS and 3 97s

EVANS and 3 97s

These were manufactured by HUTCHENS Mfg, in St Louis, Mo. They also made aoogah horns and Saphire hubcaps. They made LOTS of horns and tips,but the caps were not so much. They are now in the sailboat mfg bus. in Florida. I was good friends with the older sons at that time. Dick

29. daddio211

daddio211

Ha ha ha... no shit!

30. flamingokid

flamingokid