Register now to get rid of these ads!

should or should not replace the oil pump on my y block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 ford custom, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Well im cleaning and prepping the motor to put back into my f100. The guy said the motor ran well just leaked oil. It did sit for a while though. Should I buy a new oil punp, rebuild mine or use the one thats on the motor as of right now?

2. Ice man

Ice man

3. Ok thats good enough for me

4. LostHope

LostHope

since its out of the truck it would be hell of alot easier to do it now,and y-block's crapping out usually is caused by oil not getting to certain areas of the motor,if it were me i would want to know the oil pump was new and working the best it could,not worn out or gummed up from old oil just sitting in the motor ...

5. You got a good point there.

6. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Back in the 60s I sold a lot of pumps for those engines. That design ,I think, is somewhat trouble prone. Put a pump in it for piece of mind.

7. i run into some problems with those pumps before
    I would check it out and run it, if you need to replace it is outside the engine so it is quick and easy to replace

8. Well I will just replace the oil pump now along with water pump.

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

If you have any engine of unknown condition/mileage out or the pan off it is always wise to replace the oil pump, the water pump and even the fuel pump. Just like it is wise to replace all the rubber hoses in a brake system, especially the rear ones which seem to never be replaced even after a set or two have been put up front.

10. Ok will do!! Also there are two styles of fuel pumps that cone up for this truck.

11. It has been a while and I was into early Birds but I think the difference in the pumps is that one had a vacuum pump built into it for windshield wipers.

Charlie Stephens

12. Yeah, there are three that are offered. One for electric wipers and the other two are for vaccum.

13. scrubba

scrubba

"Y " blocks all suffer from two design flaws , TOO SMALL Oil holes in the Cam area and not enough Oil pump capacity. Buy a new pump , they aint all that expensive . scrubba

14. The going rate is from $88-100

15. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

If the new one is from China keep the old one. Old is not always bad!

16. Top Kick

Top Kick

If you pull the oil pump, check the drive for wear, I would replace it with a new pump. A good replacement for the fuel pump is one for a 73 F150 with a 360 ci FE. Comes with a neat cannister filter. NAPA is a good source, they also still list a rebuild kit for the oil pump.

17. Boy - do I agree on the China parts!!

18. Yes I totally agree on the china parts

19. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Thats some good info...I didnt know the fuel pump off that motor would fit a Y-block. Guess I know what Im using now. thanks.

20. I disassembled my pump and found no wear. I cleaned and polished the pressure relief valve and shimmed the spring. I did replace the driveshaft as it was worn on the distributor side, besides replacing the distributor with a 289 unit. Idle oil pressure is 30 and at 3500 it is 50.

21. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

There isn't much to an oil pump. If you disassemble it and, upon inspecting the parts, find no problems or undue wear, put it back together and use it. Several flathead guys I know rebuild old pumps now due to the problems they've had with Melling pumps, which now come from the Shanghai Speed Shop.

22. I will have to look into mine