Register now to get rid of these ads!

Junk yards in PA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FirehawkTA, Aug 30, 2011.

1. FirehawkTA

FirehawkTA
    from Iceland

Hello from Iceland.

We are three guys from Iceland that are going to the Fall Carlisle. We will land in Washington and drive back and forth to the show. As we are going to have some extra time we would like to hit some junk yards to try to find parts as well as look around us to enjoy the view. :cool:

Can anybody recommend some yards or anything else that would be fun to look at like auto museums?

Thank you,
    Johann

2. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

There used to be a couple in the Scranton Wilksbarre area just off I 81. most of the stuff has been cleared out ad or crushed in the last few high scrape price cycles.

There is a list by county here

http://www.parts.org/membershipdirectory.html

I kow some fellows that do some business with an old yard in Virginia, I will sent them a note and see if I can get the location for you. I know he still has 40's and 50's stuff in the yard.

another link

http://www.roadkillcustoms.com/hot-rods-rat-rods/Junk-Yards-Salvage-Yards-Auto-Recyclers.asp

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  3. fleetside66

fleetside66

Not to piss on your parade, but the truth is that the golden years the junkyards in PA have passed a while ago. There is nothing but newer stuff left. In the few that you can still walk through that have older cars, they are well picked over and/or rusted beyond any use. There are more Icelandic ponies on PA farms than pickable old cars in PA junkyards (and I speak from experience there).

There are tons of interesting things to see within the DC/ Carlisle corridor, so I wouldn't waste valuable time trying to chase the past. Besides, your shoes will have holes worn in them from walking Carlisle. Just my two cents.

4. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

please check your Private messages for some information.

5. mutt423240

mutt423240

hi, if you want quality junk, hershey is the following weekend. i'll be at space ck-43. stop in and say hi. i've got good junk. lol. mario

6. The Eastern Museum of Motor Racing is just outside of York Springs, PA
    on route 15. It's a great collection of vintage race cars, engines, etc.
    It's open Fri, Sat, & Sun 10-5 (no admission charge, donation only) and
    it's about 1/2 hour away from Carlisle. Check the website EMMR.org for
    a preview.

Enjoy your visit.

7. jay7262

jay7262

Enjoy Carlisle, and take another week off and hit Hershey the following week, Carlisle is a junk yard :) I love it

8. walls

walls

I'll second that. Hershey is where it's at.
    Post what days you'll be here. Hershey starts the 4th I believe. On 9-24 Mobtown Greaseball in Baltimore and at the Simeone Museum in Philly it's a demonstration day. Which means the owner drives around his million dollar LeMan's winning 20's through 60's race cars around back of the place. Pretty cool.

I forgot, Jalopy Showdown Drags are Oct. 1st too.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  9. FirehawkTA

FirehawkTA
    from Iceland

Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks a bunch guys.

I will be in the US from the 27th to the 3rd. :eek:s
    I should have planned this a bit differently and hit both Carlisle and Hershey, but I guess the money, shoes and legs will be gone and done at the time Hershey begins :eek:D

Again, thank you.

Regards,
    Johann
    Iceland

10. skidsteer

skidsteer

Engler's Used Car Parts is 2 miles west of I-81, Exit 159 (Nuangola). This is 2 hours north of Carlisle. They may have crushed some, but worth a look.