Register now to get rid of these ads!

235 headers and intake help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56boracho, Aug 29, 2011.

1. 56boracho

56boracho
    from lot

i bought some intake and headers my 235 inline six, the guy that had never installed them i just wanted to know i install them right so my engine will run good the headers have a plug on them do i leave them the way they are or have to connect them and where?? and idk what goes under the intake its just open? it looks like its missing a cover plate im not sure

Attached Files:

2. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

The intake is set up to bolt to the stock exhaust manifold which has passages and a heat riser valve to divert some exhaust gasses through the intake to heat it and allow for better fuel vaporization. With the cast iron headers you have to get a plate that bolts on to the bottom of the intake.

The plate will have 2 threaded hole in it. Route either exhaust from the 2 holes in the headers or water from the radiator through the bottom of the manifold.

Buy the plate from Tom Langdon

I heat mine with water

3. 56boracho

56boracho
    from lot

so running water to manifold would be better than? how much do these plates cost?

4. Oppy

Oppy

I heat mine with water also. It's probably not so important in the summer, sure helps in the winter. One time in the winter, before I heated mine, I drove about 8 miles to see a friend, and when I got there , my truck was running kinda funny. Acting kinda like the choke was on??? So when I looked under the hood, the bottom of my carb was all iced up. It did melt very fast after I parked it, and then ran fine the rest of the day. I will drive mine near any time I can, pretty much just not in rain or fog. Just my 2 cents.

5. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

I prefer water when heating aluminum rather than exhaust - just my choice.

Can't remember what the plate cost, don't think it was much, you could fab your own

6. 'Mo

'Mo

7. 'Mo

'Mo

To give you an idea...
    Here is a photo of the Plate that Langdon's sells ($35). This apparently does not include the tubing/fittings necessary to hook to the exhaust (as does Patrick's kit), but would be a good candidate for water.

[​IMG]

8. 56boracho

56boracho
    from lot

cool thanks just wanted to make sure i know what im doing

did you guys really feel an increase in perfomance running dual carbs and hesaders?? would it accelarate faster? or get better highway speeds? also will langdons sell the carb linkages?

9. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Yes, even on an otherwise stock engine, properly set up dual carbs and dual exhausts make a noticable difference. While I don't like the idea of raw exhaust blasting on an aluminum intake either, rather than heat it with water, I just cut a piece of stainless steel plate to shape and sandwiched it between the heat riser and the bottom of the intake. it still gets enough heat, but the corrosive quality of the exhaust gases is eliminated. I've seen too many old dual and triple intakes with holes eaten through them from exhaust.

Jlsandov321 likes this.
  10. nexxussian

nexxussian

Heathen, that's a capitol idea, how thick of a plate did you use? (thicker than the shim stock I've got I'm betting)

11. 6inarow

6inarow

How would you do it if you had headers? Can you plug the plate to prevent the exhaust into the intake?

12. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

The piece I used was the thickness of sheet metal that you'd use to make a body patch panel from, only stainless. This setup only works with either a stock exhaust manifold or a pair of Fenton headers used with a heat riser plate.

13. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

woody; I'm going to suggest another option: no heat at all. You live in Las Vegas, most of the guys responding live in northern regions where I'm sure manifold heating is not an option but the temperatures where you live are not nearly as cool as most places. I run Fenton's and a cast iron manifold with no heat. Since moving to Boise I notice that on the coldest days (temps in the 30's) it runs a little too cold so I may consider heating my intake but for years in WA state I ran with no heat and no problems.

Alluminum will conduct plenty of ambient heat right off the head and also pick up radiant heat from the exhaust manifold. The problems most desert dwellers have is trying to keep things cool!!

14. cederholm

cederholm

I run heat - but I agree with Waldo 53.

15. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I have seen a lot of guys out here in Cali running dual carbs and fentons with no heat and I asked them if they have any problems with the setup and they all said "no problems". So it's something you would do if you live in a cold climate. Since you live in vegas where it gets 200 degrees in the winter, I would try running the setup without heat and see how it goes. And if you're not happy then connect the heat. Another thing you have to consider is whether your intake is for a 216 or 235. Most used aluminum chevy 6 intakes are for 216s. 216 have smaller intake ports and a smaller carb. Ring adapter are now available so that the 216 intake will fit properly on a 235.

16. Hi you guys!
    A couple of questions for you! Where do you get the water from? Do you tap into the hose that goes to the heater?
    Where do I find Landon's? Does he have a website or is he here on the H.A.M.B.?

I'm putting together a dual intake together with Fenton Headers and I like the water idea! Should also give heat to your frozen knees faster, if you hook it to the heater hose right?

Klaus

17. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

You'll never find him under "Landon's"---it's "Langdon's". The Edmunds intakes were meant to be heated with water, and the idea was to cut the heater hose in half and splice in a T or Y fitting that would allow you to run it in one end of the intake and out the other. Also, a T fitting was sometimes used on the driver side rear of the cylinder head where the temp sender screws in.

18. Duh! Thanks for that!

19. 56boracho

56boracho
    from lot

Yea this makes sense I will try this out first, so what can I use to cover the button of the intake? I should still get that plate or can I make one myself?

20. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

I don't know what you mean by "the button". If you're referring to the heat chamber on the manifold, just leave it open.

21. nexxussian

nexxussian

I'm gussing that's his autocorrect trying to help him write "bottom".

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  22. 56boracho

56boracho
    from lot

Hahaha yea I meant buttom of where I was planning on running the water

23. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Go on Ebay and punch in "53 Corvette exhaust manifold", and you'll find someone selling their version of the plate I'm talking about for $15.00.

24. 56boracho

56boracho
    from lot

I can also use any carb linkages right or do they have to be specific?

25. 'Mo

'Mo

Linkage tends to be specific based on carb spacing, which varies between manifold manufacturers.

26. 56boracho

56boracho
    from lot

Any one know where I can find a offy 2x1 carb linkage

27. 'Mo

'Mo

28. 56boracho

56boracho
    from lot

Cool thanks man

29. 270ci

270ci

When I ran my bone stock 235 with an Offy dual carb intake and Fenton cast iron split exhaust, it did not improve performance noticeably at all, but it sure made a louder sucking sound when I put my foot in it. The dual exhaust sounded great though. I've heard from many that a performance cam to go along with the dual carbs and split exhaust does improve performance a lot.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011