Register now to get rid of these ads!

•••HotRod HoeDown and Rock-n-Roll Rumble•••

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slim Pickens, Sep 10, 2011.

1. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

I challenge everyone that complains about money to put on a show! Find a venue, advertize, get the bands, food, tee shirts, tickets, people to work, organize, set up, clean up ect ect ect.......... Its truly not an easy task. And if $20 is too much take the family to a dragstrip for a weekend or great adventure, a baseball game then see how far that $20's goes.

2. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Someone killed a 35 Ford! WOW!

3. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Killer show, Great music ..........something for everyone ........!

a BIG thanks to Slim and his lovely lady Sherri for looking after us so well....

Keith + Dorothy

4. scarylarry

scarylarry

Lead East is a LITTLE more expensive??????

5. Lead East is a LITTLE more expensive??????

Admission to Lead East is $20/person for spectators, same as HRHD, but comparing the shows is like comparing Fords to MOPARs. I'm with teddyp on this, this show is one of my top 3 shows of the year, 'wouldn't miss it.

6. Van Dutch

Van Dutch

Great photos of the good stuff. Agree with GEORGE, as a car show it's not the best or cheapest for a day trip, that's for sure.

But as a happening, it's pretty unique, with 100 creative "art" cars (aka rats), about two dozen HAMB friendly rods, and cool music. But I'm guessing to get the full effect you have to hang all weekend and get wasted with your club buddies. It seems like its more for insiders than spectators.

7. George T G

George T G

I guess it depends on what you are going to see and do. As an all day/weekend party I guess it was worth it. As a car show for a few hours VERY over rated especally for a spectator. It's like the Van show up my way $45. for the van to get in one day or all 3. Did it once and not again.
    I think HRHD was more of a party with no lay out plan. Hell I had a NEW car parked next to me. After they got your $$ they didn't care what you did or were you parked.
    I did see two very unique vehicles though, the 8 door Dodge and the Ford roadster pick-up with the early Mopar Poly 318. Wish I had that in my A.

8. BigBlockItch57

BigBlockItch57

Completely Agreeed!!!

I honestly do not understand why people are so opinionated and negative on this web site....Having an interest in automobiles of a hot rod nature period can be pricey within its self. and if no one else notices that a semi good show period these days in the northeast is hard to come by. Im rather upset i missed the show. It seems that alot of self proclaimed hot rodders have become very sticky.

9. George T G

George T G

I agree it costs money to put on a show but when comp shows are $10 and one is double somthing IS wrong. NO show is worth $20 for admission without a car. Now you are in the Alantic City range and they are inside but no bands.

10. worked for me
    lotta people spend a lotta time making it happen

11. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

Thanks for the pics, looks like an interesting get together, but geez sure seems to bring out the drama.

12. Spanish Fly

Spanish Fly

thanks for pic.........................................sweet

13. wait a minute ...you were in Pa ??? at the hoe down??? and you didnt call me????

14. Van Dutch

Van Dutch

No doubt about that. And it was fun. Commenting, not bitching.

15. doug free

doug free

I've never put on a hot rod event but I have put on a few music events and i I can totally appreciate the hard word and dedication it takes to pull something like this off. I did not notice the increase in price to be in the show and was shocked by the 20 bucks a head. I realized throughout the day that there was not the additional fee to get into the bands later in the evening. I'm sure this made things much easier on the professor and Scott. So this is not a complaint but rather a suggestion to go back to the ten bucks to get in and if u can stay late pay the additional ten to get into the after hours activities as ten bucks for bands and burlesque is a deal. Now my complaint.... I enjoy looking at all kinds of different vehicles but I feel there needs to be somesort of car controls implemented. Like let's say the Mazda mini truck the pacer the mid 90s f150 and the camero/ mustangs really don't need to be in the show.... My 2cents

16. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

I was looking for you, Chuck, since this was in your backyard........but I never saw you....guess you weren't there....

Did you have to work?

CB

17. George T G

George T G

OK No bitching just a question, how did some of those cars get past the speed bump?
    GEORGE!!

18. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

Great show and thanks for the pictures

19. xlr8er

xlr8er

My wife and I went for a couple hours. $40 to get in, we spent another $17.50 for sodas and burgers/fries. Of course I had to get a shirt for another $10 (wife didn't want one). It was an expensive day but we don't drink, smoke or do drugs so what the hell. More than the cars and bands, we enjoyed watching the people.

I am always facinated by the look of many of the folks at the show. The clothes, the tats, the haircuts - really neat. My job does not allow me to have that look and I suppose I'm jealous of their freedom of expression. I'm glad to see a slice of the population carrying on the tradition. Maybe after retirement..

No matter what the cost, I enjoyed the show.

20. sololobo

sololobo

Great pix Slim, some very hip cars and trucks. Nice grassy display area and looks like a luck out on the rain. Hot Rod Jen, is not only an awesome striper but is cute as can be. Thanx for the coverage ~sololobo~

21. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Anyone know what car this grill started its life in or any more on this custom? very nice work

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

22. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

I will say 62 cadillac, but I will let the pros confirm that. Slim

23. the wife and I were at the AACA car show around the corner

24. Ok- If ya like scraping-along-the-ground rat-rods. More of the V8 'T' anyone?
    Rich is right, Caddy grille- 61-2, I forget which, suspect the latter.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  25. Nappy

Nappy
    from York, PA

Yep, '61 or '62. Nic from Echarlottesweb.com reminded me that this car was featured on the cover of Kustoms Illustrated #7.

Thanks for the pics Slim and Lyle. It was a fun show.

26. Grille is a '61 caddy. Here's a shot from 2004, when the car was still in-progress.

[​IMG]

27. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

thanks for the clarification. anyone ever seen this done on a 59 Chevy?
    i see the 1960 Mercury grill as a somewhat common custom mod on 59's, maybe this 61 caddy could be done.

28. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

What a waste of a Hemi.

29. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. LedT69

LedT69

Awesome show, I drove about an hour a half to get there in the rain and I still loved it. Can't wait for next years.