Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats your opinion of flamethrowers on a hot rod...?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by StuntmanJames, Sep 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think she's runnin' a little rich there, Merle.

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

3. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

Just like the gal with a bone in her nose,interesting, but not for me!!!

4. tripleduece

tripleduece
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just do it... IF I have another sled that doesnt drag tail then Ill have them again...
    They come in handy for the people that wont get off your ass....lol

Everything can be overdone... I shot nice fluffy flames about 4 feet with echo cans... I wouldnt do Huge tips or injected.. but thats just me..

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I find them to be silly at this point...

6. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Jeez zman, that is quite possibly the most restrained post I've ever seen you put up on this board. Are you high or something?:eek::D
    Paul

7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

lol, naw, just got out of the dentist for the first part of a root canal.

8. metalix_421

metalix_421

If you like em run em. not for me but I do like to see them from time to time.

9. BLAKE

BLAKE

Um... not so much.

10. If Autoloc makes them,they must be cool:rolleyes:

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I like flames on cars they belong on. But actual flamethrowers (real fire) would seem to be more authentic in the real world of impression.

'Straight' folks (unconscious of our motivation) would wonder at someone painting fire on an automobile. To them, the 'real thing' would seem to be more 'tangible'.

There was a number of guys with them on shoebox type Fords (mild customs) at '50s Nite in San Jose around '80, some of the guys demonstrated them. (laughable, a slow puff of yellow fire out both pipes, at just above idle speed)
    I thought, 'What a waste of effort...these guys need a lesson...'

Back at the shop I rigged a coil tester, 12 feet of Packard 440 wire, two NGK plugs, and a Mallory Nascar fuel pump from a tee in the 3/8" fuel hose next to my F 100 tank.
    Hit the switch to the relay at 4,000 RPM: the coil tester fired both plugs twice per second; the Nascar pump powered and delivered 42 PSI of fuel into the scavenger pipes and shot two plumes of WWll class flamethrowers 40+ feet out the back!
    Thursday night, I drove past the entrance, all clear...then 'lit it up'.
    The San Jose Police happened to be inside the parking lot, Whoops! They tore out of the lot, came up behind, and took no time in "Lighting ME up"!
    It was a hard explanation, but they didn't write me, better yet didn't arrest me or impound my truck.
    Back at the shop, I removed all traces of the illicit fire show that night.
    Some guys were at Billetproof 3 or 4 years back, and lit some that made mine look like candlefire. Technology will always 'improve', regardless of its validity!

12. rick finch

rick finch

Mouth breathers really like the spectacle.....(I was gonna say booger eaters, but that would be too harsh.)

13. The only flame throwin I like...

Attached Files:

14. loco_gringo

loco_gringo

Flamethrowers on hotrods don't mix. However, I dig them on the right sled or custom.

15. GovernorKC

GovernorKC

whether you like flames or not, that is an awesome picture.

16. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Never seem 'em on a hot rod...mostly on customs. Kinda cheezy but cool.

Attached Files:

17. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

You shouldn't have to ask. IMHO a guy going by the name of "Stuntman James" would HAVE to have flamethrowers on his car!

Seems as though the movie Grease-(1978) that had the Conv. Merc with flamethrowers, helped revive flamethrowers around that time along with the rest of the "just like in the 50's" bolt ons (fuzzy dice, etc.).

Of course it all got taken to extremes and way over done with some guys trying to out do the crowd (trunk murals of their car at the Drive In, James Dean , Elvis, and Marilyn, etc.) 100' flamethrowers.
    Example; In the lifted street truck scene, guys were puting 44" tires on lifted Toyotas...which spurred equipment citations.....and an "I guess we're done with this trend" feeling.

18. LynchMOB

LynchMOB

Thanks!

19. grey46

grey46

Just dumb to me .

20. They have been around since the 50's, but I can't remember ever seeing them on a "HOT ROD". Was strictly something for the Custom crowd.
    If you like em, and do them in a subtle way, in other words no huge tips or pipes and hide the ignitors then there is nothing wrong with it.
    Not my thing but to each his own.

21. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Break out the Big red clown shoes. I think they go well with the current trend of acting like a curcus side show.

22. Burny

Burny

Tits on a bull comes to mind... I like fire though

23. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

On the coolness chart, I'd place them near fake duals, valve covers over the top of other valve covers, and nonfunctional multicarb setups.

24. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

impractical? as far as i know i don't know what that word means.. see... i put blowers
    on flatheads and dual 4s on bigblocks .. i'm a fuckin hotrodder.. i'm not sane enough to know what practical or impractical mean.. they don't factor into my mind..

"fun" factors into what i do and think.

and flamethrowers are always fun!

25. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

They would be cool if you could find someone who has them that has the common sense to operate them, and also the common sense when not to use them.

26. Hi-Flying

Hi-Flying

Like to watch em,would'nt want em.

27. .....about as cool as fake spotlights, continental kits, sun visors, non-functioning lakes pipes, curb feelers and multiple antennes...I'll never "get it".

28. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

my wife's merc has them and that's exactly what they do, a small blue jet style flame. Now and then she fires them off to make a kid or an in-law go "oooohhhhh", no big deal.

Like most things it's something that loses it appeal over time, I doubt they have been fired off more than twice in the last 10 years, whereas they were fired up alot in the first couple years on the road.

29. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Flamethrowers are cool on customs as long, as they are the small blue flames out of normal size pipes. When I was little we always went to the "James Dean Fest" in his hometown of Fairmount, IN. I always loved the Flame show they put on and to this day I still want a chopped, slammed, Merc w/ flames. They have been taken overboard but traditional (damn, I'm sick of that word) ones still look cool IMO.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  30. Gman0046

Gman0046

In my estimation Flame Throwers are as dumb as a Burnout Contest. What's the point? Low I.Q.? Why not spend the money on something to make your car go faster and take it to the track. If you can't spin your tires from a 60 mph roll, your engine needs more work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.