Register now to get rid of these ads!

If you don't call or take the time to go and look...you won't get it

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hellerlj, Sep 11, 2011.

1. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

The one thing I have found over the years,
    is that most people won't drive across the
    street much less 2 hrs out of town, to go and
    check out something...

If you don't make the effort, you will just
    be mad when you find out your friend bought
    it for less then you thought the seller wanted

I put off calling on this car for over 2 weeks,
    because it was 2 hours from home, and I
    figured it would already be gone.. when I
    finally broke down and called, the guy was
    very easy to deal with, dropped the price
    and delivered it to me......

He told me, YUP !!! Lots of calls and I will
    come take a look.....and NO ONE came
    through....even folks close by....so it really
    all comes down to how serious you are
    about having that car....

Understand, I'm NO expert, not trying to
    tell anyone how to run their life...just
    making the comment, that ...The Stuff
    is Out There....with a little effort, it
    can and will be yours....

Will get down from the Soap Box Now...

Thanks for listening...

P.S. It's no Cream Puff, but it will give
    the Sport Coupe someone to talk to !!!!

Attached Files:

2. scrubba

scrubba

Judging the photograph, I can see it being re- built . scrubba

3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought you were gonna say, "...and yup...it was gone." Congrats.

4. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

It is "Buildable" for sure.....the stuff is still out there !!!!

And Thank Goodness it is !!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Good for you, nice find! Was that advertized here on the HAMB, photo sure looks likev one I've seen somewere.

6. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Did the same a few years back. A guy had a '70-72 F-100 on CL for $200. I wanted a 9" for my '48 Ford panel and these are the trucks that had the axle. I waited a month because I was a little short on cash. I finally emailed the guy and asked if he still had the truck and that I only wanted the rear axle. He wrote back that he still had the truck but some one else wanted the drive line. If the deal fell through he would let me know and he'd sell me the rear end for $75. A couple of days later he emailed and told me he could sell the axle for $75, all of the crusty ones I found at swap meets were $300-400. Drove about 80 miles for it and when I got to his house the axle was sitting on his garage apron waiting for me. Looked really nice, just light surface rust, like it came out of five year old truck. We put the rear end in my truck and I drove home. The next morning I went to unload the rear end at my shop and grabbed one of the brake drums and it came off. I looked inside and both drums, along with the shoes and hardware, were all brand new. At least $100+ worth of new parts. Some times it does pay to call and take a little drive.

7. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

Answer to the 37 KID......it was on Craigslist here in Minneapolis....

And to Bobj49F2....MY POINT EXACTLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

I looked at that ad several times. It seemed like a really fair price. Good 4 U!

9. Not a disagreement, but rather an alternate take on the same concept. Unless it's something crazy necessary or valuable that's way under priced, I'd just as soon wait a few days or so to contact the guy and go look. That gives them time to get a little more anxious to move the item, usually works best for those who are out of touch on reality and are over priced. They just need time to learn where the market actually is.

10. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

To Alienbaby 17.....it WAS a good price, which he came down a bit
    on and delivered it to boot !!!!!!!!!!!

And to Uncle Bob...very good point also..

Thanks guys for your input

11. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

now this is funny!! i just went through the same thing. i have always wanted a coats tire machine. i drag race and am always needing tires changed. i was looking at having to change 2 on my project car and 1 on my trailer last week. i was getting sick of paying $10 to $20 to do this and i have doing this for 50 years. every time i went looking for a machine they were to high for me. i got on CL last Friday and found a few between $400 to $1000. i considered the $400 one, then i found one for $100. it looks like it had been listed for about a week. i called and he said he still had it and yes it worked. that was all i needed to hear!! now this was a 3 hour one way trip for me. i didn't care. i told him i would be there the next day and was. now i have what i have always wanted and it only cost me $100 and $85 for gas. so you see, sometimes a road trip is worth it. i even called him today to say how much i appreciated him selling it to me.

12. hitman912

hitman912
    BANNED

I drove 300 miles to check out a car, got it a month later. Gonna go check out another 100 miles from me now, hope I get it.

13. vivalahotrod

vivalahotrod

I got a '29 Sedan from Argentina that way.
    My buddies kept telling me about thie old sedan in the south end of Okinawa that had been there for years. They would never ask if it was for sale so I finally talked them into taking me to the car...an hour and some cash later I had it sitting on the trailer that I brought with me.

They were pissed:D

Viva

14. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

just like any area of life, the reward goes to those that work for it.

There are WAAAAAY to many "lazy" people out there that don't want to make the effort.

We get them all the time...send photos, send more photos, send some underbody photos...but of course they wouldn't buy the vehicle without a personal inspection. Fine, then come look and judge for yourself.

good for you!

15. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

ON THE NOSEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dealing with people is afterall.....DEALING WITH PEOPLE !!!!

Thanks for looking

Les

16. Weasel

Weasel

I constantly get people who ask me how I have managed to get all the rare shit that I have collected over the years and I tell them I use exactly the same tools that are available to everybody else - I ask, I network, I broadcast what I am looking for, go to swap meets, scour the ads and the little pages, now we have Craigslist, evilBay and the internet which makes it easier but sometimes costlier. The bottom line is that I will go and drive and see. No substitute for touchy feely - and I always carry the cash to buy and sometimes I pay more than I want or more than market. That way I save further running around and a few years later, whether I originally paid $75 or $100 for something that now trades for $250, it really doesn't matter if I have what I want or need. If you calculate how much your time is worth and the amount of negative energy you use chasing your tail for a part that you passed on and now cannot find again, paying a premium in the first place is cheaper in the long run. Sure I lose sometimes too, but at least I have made the effort where others bitch and moan because they didn't get off their asses and the opportunity passed them by....

17. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

Couldn't have said it better myself !!!!!!!!!!

The BEST time to buy something...is when you find it,
    cause if you go back later...IT WILL BE GONE !!!!!
    I learned that early on...at a swap meet back in the
    70's....walked away from a part, came back literally
    no more then 3 minutes later, the guy standing next
    to me when I was there the first time, bought it the
    second I moved away.....I didn't let it happen again !!!!

Thanks

18. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I believe the saying is:

"Nothing ventured, nothing gained"

19. Babyearl

Babyearl

Good Score!! I preach the same message to all that ask (How did you come across that?)

20. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

amen !!!!!!!!!!!

21. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Many years ago I called about a '63 406/405 Galaxie that was 60 miles from me. When I asked the guy to describe it's condition he really over did it on the bad points. I hung up the phone and told my wife that it sounded like a piece of junk. Two weeks later I saw the car driven by the new owner. I sure messed up by not going to check out that very nice car. Since then I have made trips to see any car that sounded halfway interesting. Not all were described correctly but some were well worth the trip.

22. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I went on a lot of wild goose chases when I was younger, still looking for that "keeper" car and gas was 75 cents a gallon. My buddy and I hopped in the truck and high tailed it to Pittsburgh one night when a fiberglass 32 roadster first popped up in the Want Ad. You snooze... 4 hours later we find a real POS. Believe it or not it had household closet door knobs on the doors. Yes you turned a door knob to open the doors from the outside.:eek: It was too good to be true but we had to check. Things have really changed since then.

23. carryallman

carryallman

you know i always wanted a 392 hemi! all over priced ! i put an ad on "hot heads " site -wanted 392 for anglia project ! THE FELLOW THAT CALLED WAS A IN HIS 70'S , about 3 hrs away, ONLY REASON HE SOLD ME THE MOTOR WAS / he always liked anglias,and because i told him right off i wouldnt resale it ! sometimes the truth up front is the best way ! oh yes it was a $600.00 motor 2 yrs ago stuck but{ standard pistons and crank } when i get it in the car ,im going to go get him and go for a ride:p scare him to death ????