Register now to get rid of these ads!

337 Lincoln Flathead question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ace Brown, May 19, 2005.

1. Jake D 56

Jake D 56

First.... Yes, I know that this is a very old thread, but that's what the search function is for, no?.

I just got a 49 Cosmo with the 337 Flathead and I'm going through it now. First the battery wouldn't charge, fixed that. Next it was getting way hot way too fast, pretty sure (fingers and toes crossed) I fixed that today.

BUT.....

Now I'm having the same issue that the OP posted with the lifter tap-tap-tapping away. I'm going to try the marvel mystery oil thing tomorrow and see if I could possibly be that lucky, just wondering if anyone else has any ideas or input they can throw my way. I really love this car and I REALLY want to run it with the original 337 because that HUGE flattie just looks so damn cool in there, but from all my research, it looks like it would go way beyond breaking my budget to rebuild it if there's something major wrong... I'm hoping she's just trying to make sure I respect her before she'll let me play with her goodies.

Any more 337 fans out there that can offer any insight?

2. Jake D 56

Jake D 56

Anyone? Anyone at all?

3. It doesn't matter if a thread is old, if it pertains to a good subject. Age doesn't hurt, sometimes helps, if there is a new solution to a problem.

4. motorhead337

motorhead337

I think all 337 tick.. mine does, but it runs great, sometimes its quite and other times its loud. I dont get to worried about it unless it sounds BAD. other than that i would say its ok..

5. Special Ed

Special Ed

Mine ticked, too. That was shortly after a complete overhaul. It's still running well almost twenty years later...:)

6. Jake D 56

Jake D 56

I appreciate the insight guys. I've basically come to the same conclusion already that I'm not gonna worry much about the ticking for the time being since it doesn't seem to affect the way the thing runs when I drive it.

Any thoughts on how hot your motors run? I have a cheap temp gauge hooked up temporarily while I run through everything and I can't get the damn thing level off. I've only taken it for quick trips around the block so far, but I'm hitting 200, 205, 210 by the time I pull back in the driveway almost every time. What worries me is that it doesn't show any sign of evening out, just looks like if I were to keep going, the temp would keep rising.

T-stats are opening like they should, fan is working, I've mocked up a cover from the top of the grill opening to the top of the radiator so I don't lose any of the air flow. There IS a small leak right around the fill cap/ I mean it's tiny to the point where It isn't really leaking fluid, but is leaking pressure, but barely. Could something so damn small be a part of the culprit?

7. motorhead337

motorhead337

I doubt it.. It's a big motor and its a flathead, its going to get hot. I recommend dual electric fans and if its in your budget, a newer radiator, they are more effective.

8. lincolnlog

lincolnlog
    from Arizona

Revive an old thread again, I know... :eek:

My 337 ticks, runs like a sewing machine, but gets hot when the weather is hot. The only time it likes to hold temp for a long time is when its cold out.

sucks there's not a solution to the ticking, but i'm happy to hear it isn't serious.

9. ricky johnston

ricky johnston

I pick up a 1950 Ford F8. The original motor has be replaced with a Lincoln 8E-B. What would this motor have came out of. the motor is lacking a carburetor any suggestions.

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  10. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Are you sure it is 8E-B? I have only heard of 8E-L for Lincoln, and 8E-Q for the trucks. The primary difference between the 2 is that Lincoln engines used hydraulic lifters, and Truck engines used solid lifters, although there were small quantities of truck motors produced with hydraulic lifters. I also believe the water pumps were slightly different. If it is a Lincoln motor, then it came out of a 1949 to 1951 Lincoln. Truck motors were only produced from 1948 to 1951. By 1952 the big flathead was replaced by the 317 ci Lincoln Y-Block.

Good Luck.

11. ricky johnston

ricky johnston

FrozenMerc
    thanks for the info i am going to take some pic of the motor to better id

12. donndolly2

donndolly2

Mean while...back to the future 2012 :)
    I'm new here a little to late from the sound of things. Still, does anyone have a 50 Lincoln Grill for sale?

oliver westlund likes this.
  13. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Super old thread but food for thought... the lincoln 337 weighs 850 lbs...yes. if you buy aluminum heads and intake that weight goes WAY down. Stick your battery in the trunk. And run it in a fenderless rod and its not all that heavy. Has way more torque than an 8ba or 59 ab. I always hear whining about the weight of these but theyre like 15 lbs lighter than the cad flatheads guys are always runnin ‍♂️

scotts52 likes this.