Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The worlds ugliest '36 Ford 3/W

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shock733, Sep 11, 2011.

1. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

The '36 more door should be saved and restored it conjures up thoughts of "The Untouchables" pulling up with tommy guns blazing away.It would be a shame to screw it up by pulling parts and ruining it.

2. jipp

jipp

thanks for the link.. better pictures of the vehicle in question.. wow, someone had some fun building this.. was the hole in the hood used for ram air? or did someone just feel it needed a whole there. glad to see you are gonna try to save it.. its pretty bad when the stock car us better looking than a custom.. kustoms are suppose to make the stock car look better, not turn it into a red headed step child.

chris.

3. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

If you are not an extremely talented fabricator I would just fix up the sedan. You haven't even removed the paint off the coupe- I think you will find it's FAR FAR uglier under the paint than you ever expected! With the right stance that sedan could be really cool.

4. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

It's insulting to the original builder to tear apart that 3 window ! Aaa, I'm sure he'll get over it !

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Please crush that nose section so it doesn't come back to haunt anyone. Good luck with the save/build. The Fordor looks like a solid Mid West car, is there any plastic in the 3Window body?

6. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Was anyone injured in that train wreck?

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Has anyone done a This is Your Car.... This is Your Car on Drugs Photoshop?

8. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Glad to see someone's finally gonna step up and do that poor homely car justice!

9. That´s awesome!
    Will I get pelted with rotten fruit if I say I quite like the split screen?

10. VonKool13

VonKool13

Just cuz it's old doesn't mean it needs to stick around. Parts car at best. This is a hot rod site and not a restoration site. Unless it's an early hot rod that needs restoration.;)

11. shock733

shock733
    from Florida

I put a grinder to the right rear fender and found only 3/16-1/4" of bondo used to mold the fenders in. No rust. The big problem I see is the body being sectioned and the body line that starts at the belt line and goes around the tail pan stops behind the doors :confused: I want to have the body on the correct chassis and all squared up so I can see what I'm up against.

12. ponchopowered

ponchopowered

i realy like the front end on it (hides from rocks being thrown) id refine some of the touches on the front end and reuse it

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  13. As a urinal??

14. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

The best tool to "refine" that front clip is a hand grenade. :rolleyes:

15. eberhama

eberhama

I will give a hearty second to this. I purchased a '36 4dr. to rob a bunch of parts off of for my 3 window, it was a good body, nice doors/cowl, solid complete roller frame, and I had a hell of a time getting $400 for it. Yeah four doors are neat, but it would be as much or more to build than the 3 window, and have a quarter of the value when done. So to shock733, cut the shit out of the 4dr. and don't feel bad for a second. I would cut the back half of the 4dr body off and use the cowl/floors to build off, but that's just me. Good luck with your project, I've wanted to reach through the computer and rip the nose off that car since I first saw a pic of it in you first thread, so thank you for doing that for me.:)

16. bgaro

bgaro

your plan is a good one, plenty of parts. i'm into it.

17. koolkemp

koolkemp

With the donor 4 door and the old "custom:D" you have all the ingredients for a cool sled, I am looking forward to the fun! I agree though I would use all I could from the fordoor especially if the bottom half is solid....

18. Just curious, what's the history on the 3 window? When was it built, by and for whom?

19. 2Hep

2Hep

Wow, I've always wondered what happen to that when it was sold. Awesome make it happen! Wish it it were mine to start the undoing/redoing but (according to my wife) I've got enough projects that need finishing
    ;)

20. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I knew eventually when that thing surfaced a few years ago that someone would tear it down and try to save it. The worst part for you I think will be what to do with the '36 grille on the channeled car. You could always put a '40 front end on it, like the one with the '39 front end in WA. Or a LaSalle grille would be easier to cut down too I think.

That 4 door does look pretty nice. I can't say anything though... we bought one that's even nicer to part out for our sedan delivery.

21. shock733

shock733
    from Florida

Some progress Sunday in between the rain;
    Removed the hood, front fender and soaked all the bolts w/wd40. Pulled the heads and intake and its rough in there. Motor is stuck and it filled with crud. Some where along the line someone played with this motor , it's not even bolted to the tranny any the tranny is unbolted from the cross member. I'm not even sure it's a 36 flathead. I did a searched and it looks like a 36 truck engine. There are no numbers cast in the bell housing. It's a 21 stud with duel water pumps on the heads but the distributor is gone. I might take a shot at rebuilding myself. The cylinders look just good enough where they might just need a hone. The valves and seats look OK. Pic's of the motor will follow if I have time tonight.

Attached Files:

22. Here is a 4 door sedan done 60's style. This was taken way back in 1972.

Always liked the look of this car. Would be a shame to cut up that 4 door.

As stated elsewhere you could salvage that coupe by reinstating the original front end or even a LaSalle style grille. That would be a whole lot better than the snow plough that was on there .

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  23. build the 4-door

24. bgaro

bgaro

cut that four door up quick. now, before they talk u out of it. hah ha

25. Rogga

Rogga

Maybe the same builder,,,,,,,,???:D

Attached Files:

26. S.F.

S.F.

thats one old kustom that I will totally agree it needs to be changed...

27. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

i have many pictures of that thing & ALWAYS thought it was waaayyyyy beyond ugly! but thats just me!:D

28. vegas

vegas

That's the hardest I've laughed in a week! :D

29. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Cut up the four-door. End of story. Just do it. Would you rather have a four-door parade car that you can't give away or a three-window that's actually worth something?

30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you read the fine print guys it looks like the complete 4 door body is up for sale to anyone who ponies up the cash.

It's good to see that that coupe is finally going to get a face lift back in the right direction. Keep us posted on the progress.