Register now to get rid of these ads!

M-II install question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tugmaster, Sep 11, 2011.

1. I'm installing a Chassis Engineering M-II front end on my 38 Chevy. I got everything measured correctly and bolted up. I installed my upper and lower controll arms. Now, when I go to attach my strut rods they don't line up with holes in the lower control arm. It "appears" if I heat and bend them ahout 3/4" they will line up fine.
    I really don't have a problem doing this if I have to. I just want to make sure I am not missing something. I have double and triple checked my measurements and they are correct..
    Has anyone else had this problem intalling a M-II front suspension?
    Thanks, Todd

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  2. Todd, I had to heat and bend mine with an older MII kit back ten years ago. It was not from CE. I had a similar issue but with a CE rear end kit on the 38 Chevy coupe I am doing. The wheels did not center in the rear opening. I called them and they said this is often common and to just move everything to the rear to line up the wheel. Their comment was that many old Chevy frames are different. (?) Guess you could call them if no one knows. They are very helpful. Walt

3. miller

miller
    from New Jersey

..about 5 years ago I had used a Mustang II bolt in kit...for my 51 chevy car....the kit had templets for the holes that had to be drilled in the frame for the cross member and one for the amount to bend the strut bars..that bend was not very much...Miller

4. Thanks Walt. I will give C.E. a call. I saw a 38 at car show and his wheels were to far forward. He was running C.E.springs. Before I intalled mine I took some measurements off of a friends 37 Coupe. I end up move my springs back about 1-1/2" from where the C.E. diagram showed. It should be ok once it is all back together. Todd

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011

5. badshifter

badshifter

When I did mine, the instructions on which bolt holes to use were somewhat vague. On a double inspection, I measured the wheel base and it was off, so make sure you are in the correct holes before you drill the additional ones and mount everything final. I didn't have to heat and bend once it was in the right spot. I had the massive knee action front end in mine.

6. Peter Mc Mahon

Peter Mc Mahon
    from Ontario

Is the suspension unweighted? I think it needs to be weighted before you do anything if it's not. Hope this is of help.

7. The strut rods on different models of the Mustang II platform had different angles and positions. So long as everything else is installed correctly, you may have to heat and bend the rods to meet the middle of the bracket.

8. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

glad to see this post. I have a 39 chevy and was wondering if there were some handy hints on installing one of those front ends.