Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage HERSHEY! right around the corner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skidmarks, Aug 17, 2011.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

How is the water level around the old Lyndwood birthplace? Thoughts and prayers going out to everyone in the area.

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm following the chat over on the AACA Website. Word is COME TO HERSHEY, the local businesses that will be open look forward to seeing you. They say many restaurants are knocked out and won't be open for business by Swap Meet time. :(

3. noboD

noboD

The water started to recede about 8:15. In my area it was within inches of being as bad as Agnes in '72. I am lucky, live on a hill as some of you know. A few of my immediate neighbors aren't so lucky. One just settled last Monday and moved in this week. They have about 4-5 feet IN the house. I have stuff from several neighbors here, cars, backhoes, trucks, boats, freezers, lawnmowers, you name it. The six acre field in front of my house is half under, JUST like it was in '72. One neighbor's basement was caving in from the water pressure outside. There was to be a motorhome/camper show at the Giant Center this week, lots of million dollar motorhomes everywhere trying to figure out what to do. I think the weatehr service needs to change some of their definitions. This is at least my 5th 100 year storm, and we had a 1000 year storm first weekend of Aug , I ain't that old!

4. sawzall

sawzall

Doug you look great for a dude that OLD!
    glad your ok.. I know your taking care of your neighbors.. I wish you lived next door to me (or rather I to you)

looking forward to our upcoming visit

sawzall

5. JustJoey

JustJoey

Tough to get around here right now. Lots of roads closed not only due to water but the roads are buckling and sink holes are forming. Took me 30 minutes to get around Myerstown then I got stuck in Hershey. Looks like tomorrow will be worse.

Stay safe and dry everyone!

6. will be there thursday....hope it dries out!

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Doug, when did Agnes hit in 1972? I remember one of the early Hershey meets Dad and I went to had a lot of recent heavy storm damage. I think parts of Rt 743 are different than they were in 1972 because of it.

8. Oh what the hell - there were two roads blocking my way out this morning - things dry out and then there are the Holy Days of Hershey!

We'll be there Thursday till Saturday down the street from Bob.

Dennis

9. noboD

noboD

Agnes hit in June of '72. You are right about 743. The steel bridge at Lionsville, one house and a bridge, was washed away. It was just north of Hershey park Dr. Water crested last night about 8:00. Susquehana river is supposed to crest today. Hundreds of homes are damaged. Just walked down to the water, it has receded about 8-10 inches. Smells horrible of fuel oil.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  10. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Myerstown, that's were I am, ya should have stopped in.

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Did the water ever get close to Main Street? I keep thinking the railroad underpass buy the old wooden roller coaster must have been filled to the tracks. Hope everyone is recovering quickly.

12. noboD

noboD

If you mean Chocolate Ave., I don't know. I'm sure the underpass was full, hell that happens all the time. I'd bet Chocolate Ave. at the otehr end of town down at the old Chocolate plant was over too, Spring Creek always backs up there. That is the creek that flows through the park. Hopeing the water is down enough to open bridges so I can go for a drive tommorow. Some bridges are clear but they are inspecting them before traffic is allowed.

13. noboD

noboD

The water is back where it belongs, but the damage is tremendous. If you utube search "Union Deposit flood 2011" you will find a video from my side of the creek. The beginning shows where the bridge is on rt. 39 looking toward the Giant Center. You can't even see the handrail, that was either Wed. or Thur.. I drove across the bridge yesterday. The Nat'l Guard is here NOW and closed the roads. They weren't when the water was here and people thought they needed to be somewhere.

14. Jdee

Jdee

Many Hotels flooded?
    I hate to think what a room would cost for the show.
    Jdee

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just be sure to ask about the indoor pool. :rolleyes:

16. noboD

noboD

Jdee, haven't ventured far enough to tell. Want me to check on the new one behind me? PM me if you do. or do you camp??

17. noboD

noboD

Skid, those fields were covered bigtime. Doubt the boro had trouble, because a buddy went to the Soda Jerk yesterday , which is right behind it. I need to go on a drive soon, if the Nat'l Guard will let me go that way I will. Rumor is the bridge at H-town is condemned, need to find out. Also heard steel bridge headed to Posies might be trashed. More later.

18. Bob you should be OK after your hip boot score at Redding!:cool:

19. noboD

noboD

Just got back from a drive. A bridge that crosses the Swatara that most of you don't know about was damaged, north of the square of Hummelstown. Didn't get to Hershey yet, NG's at every road. I will find out more tommorow when I try to get to work.

20. Shopking

Shopking
    from central Pa

noboD-Hey Doug,figured it was you talking about Hershey and Hummelstown water problems.Maybe see ya at bench racing.You know which Wed.- JC

21. noboD

noboD

I should be there, John. Bring pics of B-ville.

22. Clark

Clark

Wonder if the famous "puppyluv" will show at Hershey?!
    Clark

23. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

24. noboD

noboD

The High Meadows camp ground has a CLOSED sign on it. If you plan to stay there, might want to call and see if they will reopen. Roads at rt.322, around the Med. Center are fixed. Many bridges are trashed, some beyond repair. If you have reservations I'd suggest calling to confirm them. Pizza Hut was condemned and The Penn Sports Bar was too, it moved off it's foundation. We still have the NG here.

25. Clark

Clark

What is a good breakfast plan at Hershey? We have done the Chocolate World AYCE but the past couple of years it has gotten worse every year.

Last year we went to Bob Evans but on that week they start a new winter schedule of oppening later.
    Clark

26. noboD

noboD

You're part of the "light" quiche crowd aren't you? I suggest the Hotel Hershey. Actually Soda Jerk breakfast isn't too bad. Or Bill's beside the Wick.

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

While you guys are in a restaurant somewere I'll be walking the rows with a bacon egg & cheese from the vendor across from me along with my second cup of coffee.

28. noboD

noboD

While you're sleeping in your van, I'll be sleeping in a nice warm bed.

29. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

ha ha :D !

30. Clark

Clark

Doug...if I don't find a decent breakfast for the crew I'm with we'll end up having Natty Boh and Michelobe Ultra for breakfast.

Greasey isn't a good idea with the porta john lines.

Bob....yeah I'd love to do something quick. I'd like to be walking by 9. doesn't seem like many are open before then.
    Clark