Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Blower drives

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hrm2k, Sep 11, 2011.

1. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am currently working with my buddy Frank Morawski on his restoration of his dragmaster chassis dragster. We now know that it was built in1961. Frank has decided to put a blower on the small block Chevy motor that is in the car. I have posted a thread in the PARTS WANTED classified looking for a complete blower system for this car. During the conversation, Frank asked who made blower drives besides Crager. We came up with a lot of late 60 and newer names but fell completely blank for names in this time frame.

So we need to hear from you guys who else made blower drives for GMC blowers in that late 50s....early 60s time frame

counting on the power of the HAMB for this information

2. oj

oj

Bowers, Littlefield, mooneyham, Don ?...can't think of his last name, i believe they all had drives but the drives may well have been all made by just one or two shops. When you say drive, you mean the snout, upper pully, idler and crank pulley? I think back then they would just knock the outer ring off the harmonic balancer, double key it and bolt the pulley to it and it was later that the hemi style hub became the standard.

3. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Tom Beatty was a pretty key player.

4. matt Delio

matt Delio

Don Hampton might be who your looking for on that blower drive. Later, matt.

5. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

"Sneaky" Pete Robinson made some blower stuff.
    But i don't know how early!?

Serpentine or V-belt?

Taildragger&fenderless

6. flatoz

flatoz

7. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

8. Danakas blowers

9. potvin (early blower and not a 671 drive)

10. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We talked about the multi v-belt pulleys. even talked about chain drives....

11. Howard Cams did their chain drive with the nice finned aluminum housing. They ran a pair of them on the Twin Bear that Jack Chrisman won the '61 Winternationals with.

12. fitty_2

fitty_2

This very short '59-'62 period Cragar tri v/b drive setup 4-71 was called Street/Strip, the flat belt step-up overdriven version was called Competiton, each KIT was like a gem apparently very low production numbers. I don't know how many were made but I would guess there were 2000 Chev versions to 500 Chrysler E Hemi to 100 Y block Fords/also SBOlds. For a restoration drag car with period hardware you could expect to overpay or fail to find. Later 60's setups for 6-71 should be much more common, It's not so much the 4-71 unit at issue but the special drive pieces. 4-71 Intakes are very rare for all but the Chev which starts at near imposssible.

If general setup type and performace is the target there are much more straightforward/cost effective routes than searching for grail material.

Mr Eaton comes to mind for good ideas, as well as any of the blower guys mentioned above.

N

N for not an expert, post feedback

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  13. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

With Cragar being hard to find;
    Buy an old frontcover, magnesium Mooneyham out on the bay now.
    or just use stock front.
    Make a V-pulley setup from scratch!?
    Mod. rear cover too:)

Taildragger&fenderless

14. titus

titus

15. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Looks really nice:)
    Here is our moto; if can't buy it? Make it!

Here is our V-belt set-up, made by my very good friend Grinder1.:)

Taildragger&fenderless

Attached Files:

16. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

coffee cans were used as molds to pour the aluminum in and then machine down.

17. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For those of you who saw how the Carrillo Roadster turned out, this is another Frank Morawski " Damn the Torpedos, full ahead restoration. We have the ability to make our own in the shop's machine shop.........it just wouldn't be an older piece if you know what I mean.

18. 1934coupe

1934coupe

X2 I have an Isky set-up with an Edelbrock manifold.

Pat

19. jipp

jipp

this is a little of topic so please forgive.. i cant not remember seeing a blower on a street car other than around a show.. turbos yeah, blower no.. maybe i do not get out enough.. but i think they look cool as hell and i do understand the benefit for performance.. my question is are they very reliable for street use? if you kept boost around 5psi? they seem to be spendy so im thinking that is main reason you do not see much.. but hell now i think about it i do not even really see muscle cars on the street anymore.. sad.. wish i grew up in the 60s.
    chris.

20. oj

oj

Call JR @ 530-292-3368, all he does is blowers and might have what you need layin under the bench. He fixed my up with the Bowers that we used on 'Old Bones'.

21. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chris, this is not a street car. This is for a 1961 dragmaster chassis dragster that is being restored to the early 60's configuration

Here is what we have so far

[​IMG]

22. there's a cragar drive in epay right now...few days left....not mine, but just letting ya know

23. got a pic of the isky setup?

24. jipp

jipp

thanks for the picture that build is going to be so cool when you are done.. period correct , very cool.. just glad it aint my check book. good luck on finding your time period correct blower.. i look forward to seeing some progress shots. rock on my friend.
    chris.

25. [​IMG]
    Here's a shot of the Danny Ongais SBC gas Dragmaster from 1964. He won just about everything possible that year with this combo. Short snout front cover, 2" drive belt, lower pully directly on the balancer, Hilborn extention off the cam cover with a 150A pump and a 2-Port.
    This setup should be pretty easy to duplicate.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  26. Sweet car but I'm pretty heavily biased toward Dragmasters.

I went with an old Weiand. For a period correct competition look it'll need a 2" belt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Plenty of 'em on the street. Been running the Mooneyham 6-71 on this for 14 years. 10 lbs of boost and no problems. if the motor is set up for it, a blower works fine on the street.

[​IMG]

28. Ran a Cragar drive 4-71 on this, on the street, for about 4 years in the 60's. Again, no problems.

[​IMG]