Register now to get rid of these ads!

What to do in SF/Oakland?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan859, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Dan859

Dan859

Hi everybody,
    I'll be in SF/Oakland for several days, around the 20-25th of October. If anybody can give me some ideas of things to do and see while I'm there I'd appreciate it. It'll be a short holiday for me, so my time is all free.
    Thanks,
    Dan

2. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Ride a cable car, visit Fisherman's Wharf, cross the Golden Gate Bridge, try almost any of the local restaurants. Drive thru Golden Gate State Recreation Area. Forget about Hot Rods while you're there-they're everywhere, San Francisco is unique.

3. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

Behring Auto Museum! One of the best I've ever been to. It's in Danville on Crow Canyon Blvd. You won't be sorry.

4. Go to "the Tonga room", they have a drink where you drink out of a Pinapple! Awesome! Well all there drinks are!
    And you have to actually walk up Powell St. to get an idea how steep it really is!

Italian restaurant "Mona Lisa" in North Beach! 4 Cheese sauce to die for.

Sure riding a cable car would have been nice, but I didn't want to wait in line for about an hour! Tell me how it was!

Klaus

5. 90LXdiaz

90LXdiaz

lombard street in SF, go on the coit tower, check out the views at twin peaks and the golden gate area. or check out grizzly peak road in berkeley. great restaurants, A lot to do in SF. Oakland on the other hand... if you like seeing ghetto people everywhere...

6. If you want to visit Alcatraz, book tickets as soon as possible, the company that runs the tours now reduced the number of ferries out there so tickets are limited.

https://www.alcatraztrips.com/daytour.asp

Brizio's is literally 2 miles from SFO so check that out before you leave!

7. dmw56

dmw56

Go to the Castro District! ;)

8. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

If you like old ships & machinery, the WWII sub Pampanito and Liberty Ship Jeremiah O'Brien are at Fisherman's Wharf- the engine room scenes in "Titanic" were filmed in the O'Brien. Definitely the carrier Hornet in Alameda- the Apollo 11 footsteps are still painted on the hanger deck, and a capsule and quarantine unit. Alcatraz is always worth the trip. House of Prime Rib in SF :eek: If you come up my way, hard not to catch a buzz and a good meal, and the scenery is "pretty good" ;) Check the schedule at Sears Point (Infineon for newbies/ non-locals)

9. Tonga room and Sodinis on Green in North Beach pier 23 good old bar

10. if i was still out there i would get you a ride around Sears Point Sanoma raceway
    still have family as a driving instructor
    raced there in the 70's and 80's

11. o you need a warm coat for outside Alcatraz can be cold

12. Dan859

Dan859

Thanks everybody for your ideas and suggestions, plenty there to fill up my days.

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

a popular activity in Oakland is to get yourself murdered. I think they are trying for a new record this year.

14. knotttty

knotttty

I have visited the fine city a few times.... Napa valley is always nice... the usual warf.,... Alcartaz..

went to Roy Brizio hot rods.. they were the friendliest bunch I have ever met.. great town to just walk around in and people watch...

Roy

15. 707gasser

707gasser

Tommy's Joynt on Geary and Van Ness great food and an amazing beer selection

16. Jack60

Jack60
    from Maryland

Stay out of Oakland......:eek: Golden Gate head north, wine country...
    Winery's have for $5.00 taste 5 wines, and crackers to cleanse your pallet, the guy explainers all the wine your tasting and said how did you like them, I said I just come for the crackers........:D
    The Red Woods are pretty good to see too.. or drive south Pacific Coast Highway.........