Register now to get rid of these ads!

52 olds help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lexington, Jul 30, 2011.

1. lexington

lexington

I am thinking of swapping an LT-1 engine and 700r4 into a 1952 olds 98.Does anyone know the nuts and bolts info for this swap. Will the steering sector clear the engine etc..What other problems will I encounter beyond the usual exhaust, radiator, and hookups.Thanks for any info.

2. lexington

lexington

3. lexington

lexington

4. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

i have a 49 88 with a sbc, no problems and your front end is much larger than mine

5. lexington

lexington

Thanks for the reply. Did you do the swap yourself? If so I have a few questions about motor mounts and postitioning thanks.

6. lexington

lexington

come on guys surely more then one guy has done this swap. I need some guidance here as I cant afford to do it the wrong was first. thanks

7. F&J

F&J

The Olds Rocket guys will remain silent with an sbc swap, especially on a traditional site. I am not being rude, just trying to explain.

I have no experience with that swap. All I can say is I have a 56 with the engine out, and there is a huge amount of room everywhere; the Olds is much wider that your chev. They are both rear sump, so that helps.

There was a thread about putting a 700 or TH400 in an early Olds using the Olds motor and one guy said the floor needed mods, but that could be because the Olds has the long extension on the back of the block; and that would push the trans back further that what you will be doing. So, it might go without floor mods.

8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I always had Olds motors in my Olds so no help here,my 59 371 powered 53 would outrun a 350 so no need to install one to go slower.

9. 5.0clay

5.0clay
    from Socal

Lex. i got a 52 Olds that im still working on, but ive got a sbc and 7004r between the frame rails. Mine had factory power steering, which made it quite tricky for making motor mounts. The original mounts for the Olds was one (dead center) under the water pump, and two on the bell housing. If you want some pics, PM me and i send them ur way.

10. lexington

lexington

Since I made this post and had to endure all the negetive comments I have come upon a new opportunity for this project.Today I went and picked up a 41 cadillac war engine that I am going to try and transplant into the olds.I am sure I will get hit on the head for considering this but ,I think it would be something unique and possibly save two antiques from the scrap heap. I do appreciate your reply and if the cad engine deal goes south I will definetly be in contact withyou. Now does anyone have any info on a flathead cadillac to 52 olds swap .I have both hydramatics even though they dont appear to be exactly the same I am sure one of them should work

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011