Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 Chevy Experts Please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Skrayp, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Skrayp

Skrayp

I am looking to find a good 57 chevy hardtop for a client. I found one very close to what he wants on that auction site, but it has had the body replaced. If I end up going to check out the car, I want to inspect the serial numbers to see what matches his title. So, my question is...where are ALL of the serial numbers on these cars? Are there other body panels with the last few digits of the serial # on them like they do on some later models? I've heard the frame has one under the body on the driver's side. I'd just like to know for sure in case the seller tries to BS me.

2. The VIN is only in two places on the car on the Vin tag on the driver's side door post; and on the top side of the frame underneath the driver's seat.

3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

It's actually on TWO places on the drivers side, top rail of the frame, under the drivers seat area, and again about 12 inches back from the first series of numbers . Also, it it NOT the FULL VIN, only the sequence number, on the frame. Butch/56sedandelivery.

4. Cerberus

Cerberus

5. 1320/150

1320/150

I had my frame number right in front of my face after i took a wire wheel to it. It was not legible. Not saying all 57 chevy frames are not legible, I just know mine wasn't!!!

also make sure the vin tag on the (A) pillar is spot welded on not riveted!!!

6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All good info here--as 1320/150 says--verify the vin tag has not been "relocated" from another car-also might check the cowl tag as well to see if it has been removed/replaced-if you see anything out of normal here-let it go.

7. busguy71

busguy71