Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who changed there building style because of the HAMB?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swimeasy, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Black Kylon or black Gorilla Tape works just as good! :)

2. Swede64

Swede64

My taste is the same but i´ve got loads of inspiration from the HAMB. Don´t tell but i´ve also stole some ideas.

3. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

As others have said my style hasn't totally changed but its definately refined. For years I wanted a fiberglass T-bucket with hairpins, heim joints, etc. I now own a steel 27 T Coupe, split wishbones with tie rod ends. The influence is working.

4. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Me change:eek:....... I am a constant in an ever changing world.:D:rolleyes:

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Still sticking to my original plan but open to new ideas. I've too much time and money invested now to go down a completely different road. My car, my way.
    That's what makes us individuals, some may like it, some may not.
    I respect others when they do things their way although I may have my own opinion. It's their car and they probably couldn't care less whether everyone else likes it or not.

6. Nuttin' wrong with shiney paint. It's easter egg paint I despise. :D
    So, is it still a bit chilly in Invers for running down the street at night, stark bollicky nekkid? :p:p

7. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

hasnt changed much about styling, but has changed my mind about the type of cars i want

8. gotmark73

gotmark73

I found the HAMB because of the style of car I wanted to build, but it has helped refine my tastes and narrow the focus of my car.

9. Builtforsin

Builtforsin

Growing up and going to all the local car cruises with my dad in Phoenix in the 90's, I didn't gain much appreciation for your typical traditional rod fodder... Yeah there were a couple guys that you'd see with an honest to God old hot rod, but for the most part everyone had the same facsimile of a 32 Ford; Slicked down, 350 with billet rocker covers, air cleaner hat, wheels, stance, coil overs/IFS.... You know, the Boyd Coddington assembly line car.

Seeing that growing up left me with the impression that the guys into those were the same as the Corvette guys (only the Corvette guys have a reserved lane at the Pavillions cruise in Scottsdale). Boring.

Like I said, traditional stuff was around, but very scarce, and almost always old, not a fresh built car.

But it wasn't the billet and high end execution of the cars that turned me off of model A Fords, it was the sameness. I really like looking a high end hot rod/street rod over. I really enjoy the craftsmanship, attention to detail, style and uniqueness that can go into one. I like streetrods too, and don't really get the visceral hate some people have for them as if its an 'us against them' kinda thing. I like aircooled VW's, 4x4's, steam powered shovels, hit and miss engines...

But what the HAMB has done has reinvigorated the traditional hot rod scene, and in turn the hot rod scene in general. Its no doubt that the HAMB is responsible for the explosion of popularity of traditional style hotrods. The HAMB hasn't changed my style, I still like what I like, but I don't just glance over Model A's anymore and say to myself, "Bleh, seen it".

10. Me, I was building a "Street Rod", and being influenced by other people, but not really happy with the way the build was going. Something seemed to be missing, which turned out to be the "Old Car Soul". Trying to modernize an old car, causes it to those it's identity and character. Discovering the HAMB, made me realize what was missing, but unfortunately brought my project to a standstill. If I sell it at the point it is at now, I'll lose my shirt financially, so I need to force myself, to get the build further along, so it can be a more sellable project. Then I can start over with a more traditional build, which I came to realize, is my true interest.

11. Jarred Hodges

Jarred Hodges

I really haven't. I like the traditional stuff although I will use sbc's and sbf's instead of flatheads and so on. The main thing I like about the hamb rides is that they are driven and enjoyed instead of constantly being wiped down and waxed. I have been to some big shows and when you have guys that are afraid of water getting on the underside of their cars it's rediculous to me. I just don't see how you enjoy a car that your scared to drive, race or do anything fun with

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd have to say it brought me back to my roots and was the convincing argument for building my truck back more traditional than it would have been.

The big thing for me and I imagine a lot of others on here is that I just flat got tired of being told that what ever part, wheels or upholstery treatment I put on my vehicles was obsolete when the next new thing came out. On here my 54 year old hubcaps that I plan (at them moment) to run on steelies out of the back shed on the 48 are cool today and will be fine with everyone here three months or three years from now.

I'll sway from the mainstream traditional thinking on a couple of things including tires and the seats I plan on running but from 50 ft the tires will pass and the seats will hopefully be trimmed out like a set of custom seats might have been in 1957 the planned cutoff year for visible parts and pieces on the truck.

13. daddio211

daddio211

I do a LOT more reading than posting, so the biggest influence on me is the vast amount of LEARNING I've done here.

And although I have two traditional builds under construction right now, I will continue to build things my way (SBC and disc brakes) when others think they don't fit. :)

14. I would not say changed. But the HAMB got me back into building cars. It has been a great educational tool for me, and a whole lot of super ideas.

15. Cerberus

Cerberus

I appreciate what the H.A.M.B is about. Most members here build/create their own car.

It is only a matter of dollars to order parts to restore a car, and replace the old parts with a new aftermarket ones. Almost anyone can restore a car if they have the dollars. They are basically following a template. Boring. But if you are a purist have at it.

I'm intrigued by the builder who invents ways of doing things, makes his own parts, gets creative in problem solving, shows imagination in substituting parts for ones that raise eyebrows, fabricates to be different, or to get the job done..

I noticed at the last car show, the cars that got the most attention were the ones that were not 100% restored original. Hey, you can walk by ten 1934 Fords or ten 1957 Chevy's totally restored, without pause. Walk by ten custom cars and you stop to take notice of the creativity that went into building these cars. Just my opinion, which is the reason I keep hanging out here at the H.A.M.B.

16. ezdusit

ezdusit

I had purchased a Mustang II front end setup before the H.A.M.B. brought me back to my senses. My car will now have a '40 Ford front axle. The rest of the car has always been pretty traditional to what I would have built in high school if I'd had any cash.

17. It hasn't changed my build style but has expanded it. The fact that you can't get into certain car shows without this style also has something to do with it. Unlike many others on here I still build many different styles of cars and can appreciate what each style has to offer. To each their own, but when you pigeon toe yourself into one style of build I think your not getting all that rod building has to offer. Like I said to each their own.