Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Roadster Rebuild--What needs changed?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bab59, Sep 10, 2011.

1. bab59

bab59

This car has been for sale for weeks with little interest. I guess I am stuck with it would like to move on t another project but...
    Here it is the winter project. What would you change? Colors and overall looks of car?
    Stance--Frame Modifications--Motor--Body-Wheels Tires--Colors etc.??
    Really would like color opinions on body--wheels--frame--engine--headers.
    Dont be easy on me, if it dont sell I will tear it all down this winter and go through it.
    I want it to have "The Look"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  2. rusty28a

rusty28a

I would unstrech the frame, make the yellow go away as well as the duplicate thread.

3. 41woodie

41woodie

I'm not particularly taken with the color scheme but my first chore would be trying to get rid of some of the space between the radiator and the engine. Might not be easy but to my eyes it is really distracting.

4. codeblu

codeblu

The windshield doesn't work for me...

5. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Wheels too far out in front. Shorten it up as much as you can.

6. rustycarr

rustycarr
    from TX

Loose the yellow

7. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

A little too much wheel base and yellow. you asked.

8. bab59

bab59

What kind of windshield treatment custom frame or a duvall style?

Wheel base will get about 6" shorter with spring mounted below radiator...Need color opinions! The YELLOW has to go but what would you change it to?
    NEED COLOR OPINIONS on body, wheels, frame, engine etc.

The car is for sale/trade!

9. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

the color is the least of the issues there.....

What is "the look" you are after? maybe post a pic of what you like and we can go from there....If you want it to look like doane spencers car you should probably start over.

10. Squablow

Squablow

The only things that stick out to me is the big late model emblem lazily stuck onto the grille shell, and the '65 Impala tail lights which don't look bad but would exclude you from most traditional shows and are a bit modern for such an early style roadster.

I wouldn't mind the wheelbase or radiator placement if the engine wasn't set so far back, but even that doesn't bother me too much.

As for a color, find either a bolt of vinyl or some vinyl dye in a color that you like and match your paint to it. It's going to be a lot easier to match paint to your upholstery than to go the other way around.

I think I could even learn to like the yellow guts and wheels if the frame were just painted black. The car looks like a real decent starting point.

11. Squablow

Squablow

Are those cut-down VW beetle doors? Something's off about that motor too.

12. fef100

fef100

I'm no expert, but if it were mine I would remove the fan spacer, then move the rad back by the length of the fan spacer. next step would be to shorten the wheelbase (frame?) so the center of the front wheels line up with the rad. Then, like everybody else says, do something about the color.

13. Noland

Noland

besides the frame length and color which was already stated. I would get rid of the spoke wheels just because there not my style and put 2 more carbs on your intake

14. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

cover the frame, put in a straight 8

15. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

Actually, I like the look of the car as is. It's wheelbase is a bit long but that's what gives it character. And, I like the black/yellow color combo.

16. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Different windshield

I'd leave the color scheme alone just because its different

17. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Thats a bug dash and A pillars. I think it's pretty cool, maybe change the screen. Do you know much about how the body was fabricated?

18. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

If it were me id do a duvall style windshield move the front axle back and paint the frame black and change the interior color. White would look good. I like yellow wires in wide whites tho just to much yellow.

19. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

reminds me of my 27 when i got it. i put it on a regular A frame and made it a highboy. it looks a million times better.

20. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

I'd buy a chassis and a Brookville Roadster body... You already have most everything else...

21. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Maybe a full hood and less yellow, I wouldn't spend a lot of money changing things because you probably won't get a lot out of it. Interesting little car just drive the wheels off of it.

22. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

ok i did a photochop. just put the frame back to normal(unratrod stance) leave it channeled, take the 6 inch fan spacer out of there and move the radiator and fan close to the engine(would need to move the engine up closer to the crossmember) axles under the crossmembers like how they should be.

[​IMG]

23. Squablow

Squablow

A few people have mentioned a Duvall style windshield but I don't see how that would work with the amount of slope the top of the cowl has. I'd like to see the current windshield raked backwards on it's pivots a few degrees, see if that helps.

24. Squablow

Squablow

That's not bad actually. It wouldn't even have to be shortened that far, the proportions come together with the radiator and axle placement sorted out.

25. Uptown83

Uptown83

Maybe just shorten the frame and leave the axle out up front. You have a 6" spacer on the fan, bet you could take 6-10" of pure frame just changing a few things.

26. bab59

bab59

The rear quarters are 3/4 square iron with hand formed sheet very little filler in the car. It comes together real nice in my eyes. I do not know who did the work though.

Its a 3.25 Inch fan spacer
    Is there any pro's or con's to having the spring up front or under a crossmemeber?
    COLOR OPINIONS?

27. Uptown83

Uptown83

I dont think the yellow is that bad... just to long. I think taking some inches out of it somehow would help the car a lot.

28. VonKool13

VonKool13

I would go with gloss black and burgandy leather or naugahyde interior. Off white wheels or black. A hand made "DuVall" style windshield would look right on. Banjo steering wheel or 32' wheel.

29. Here is my take. Loose the yellow on the frame and drivetrain. Go black, brings the car together and makes the frame look shorter. Shorten the wheelbase a little, not as much as the photoshop pic and still run the suicide mount and move the rad back toward the engine. The wheelbase looks about 6-8 inches too long. Leave the interior. Put a square topped windshield frame on the car. You don't want to spend a fortune on the car if you are just going to sell it anyway. Pat.

30. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

i see your photochop and raise you a mspaint chop haha

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014