Register now to get rid of these ads!

hydraulic throwout bearing or slave

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by silent rick, Sep 10, 2011.

1. silent rick

silent rick

i want to run a 283/m21 in a 27T. there's not a whole lot of room for pedals and linkage and exhaust underneath so it has me thinking about ansen swing pedals or the kind jeff(titus) sells.

what are the pros and cons to running a hydraulic throwout bearing compared to a slave cylinder? costs? duribility? making adjustments? anything else i'm not aware of?

2. PRIMERDAVE

PRIMERDAVE

Gotta pay attention to this one.... Got the same dilemma...

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

3. I've used a couple of slaves on cars, and worked on equipment that used slaves for the clutch. Easy to service and adjust. Never had the problems like you read about people having with hyd throw out bearings. Probably cheaper to use a readily available GMC slave also. Just build your mount so it does not flex. Can also be set up on the right side of the bell
    if the left side is tight.

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

When these first came out I thought "Wow, what a great idea." But I have seen more than one report of them leaking or not working right. One car show even had one on a build and they had to take the bellhousing back off and do some grinding or modifications to make it work.

Those could be isolated cases and they may be very good, and they sure would solve a lot of problems fabbing up linkage and all. Hope some others on here have good experiences to share, as I would like to use one some day.

Like Rich, I have had a slave on my 27 for the past 20+ years, and it still works like it was designed.

Don

5. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

I've got a hydraulic throw out in my Dodge and it seems to work really well. I bought the car with it in there and as of yet have not had to mess with it. The car has a Wiliwood hydraulic under dash clutch pedal assembly and boy what a space saver. I don't know the costs involved, but if want to save space go with the throw out.

6. I have read about so many hydraulic throwout bearings fail. They cover your clutch in oil and you have to pull the transmission to replace. I made the decision to go slave as it just makes for an easier fix if something goes bad.

7. Larry T

Larry T

'Nuther vote for slave cylinder. It's simple and it's easy to work on.
    About the third time you pull your transmission to mess with a hydraulic thow out bearing, the shiney wears off of it.
    Larry T

8. Lumpy

Lumpy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a hydro T.O. It is the second one I have put in mine is currently a Tilton and seems to work very well. That being said I started with a McLeod and it would never work I installed it bleed it and it started leaking without ever being used ! Took it out rebuilt it got 15 miles leaking R&Red it got 10 miles leaking the dragon of the McLeod was very bad. I would recommend if you go with the T.O. You get a Tilton or one similar.

Lumpy

9. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I have a speedway hydraulic slave. Attached it to a bracket at one end and the stock clutch arm at the other. Only real change for me was cutting off the clutch arm closer to the bellhousing and drilling a hole in it for the slave pull rod. Works like a champ.

10. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Slave. If the throwout leaks you pull that trans to service or change.

11. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Converted a cable"pull" to a slave push on this T5.

Attached Files:

12. silent rick

silent rick

thanks for the photo. anyone with pics to give me an idea on the bracket i need to fab for a slave cylinder on the side of a muncie? i have both an aluminum bellhousing and a steel one from a truck with side mounts. my 283 will have the front mount. i also have a set of repop fenton cast iron manifolds with the 2 dumps per side. i have alot going on down there and i still haven't decided on running the f100 box i have or modifying it for cowl steering.
    it's tough having all the parts, yet not being able to mock it up due to lack of space. there's still a few months of driving the 46 until it gets stored elsewhere for the winter and i get the whole garage back for building.

13. mosimpson

mosimpson

I also have a T5 I am planning on running with a slave cylinder. Do you have any details on what slave you have adapted here? Do you have additional pictures? A pic from above would be terrific:)

BTW I to have read several threads here on the HAMB that document repeated trouble with hydraulic throwout bearings.

14. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Both have their problems but a slave cylinder is much easier to change and does less damage when it fails.

15. dexleo2

dexleo2

I also would like to see a photo or two of the setup people are using. I have the same problem with my 1931 Model A. I would like to run a t-5 but think space maybe at a premium with the brakes and frame. I would like to run the under floor setup but I don't think I have enough room.

16. Deuces

Deuces

Mine's gone on my '05 Mustang with less than 30K on the clock.. :mad:

17. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

This particular slave is from a 78 toyota truck 2.2L. There are many but all are very similar in how they mount. You just chose based on where the ports are. Basically all a cylinder with two tabs off one side. They sell a generic one but its more expensive by FAR than a stock style one.

Attached Files:

18. Heo2

Heo2

I use Volvo Amazon slave and master (lookhead)
    most times. works like a champ last one on a
    y-block with rug trans

19. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

20. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

In my experiences if you have the ability/room to run a slave cylinder by all means that's the way to go, way better servicability. Although I have had great luck when using Howes hydraulic tob. I musta gotten lucky as I've had zero problems out of them when set-up correctly. When space doesn't allow for the room and linkage a hydraulic tob is a good alternative in my opinion.

As a side note millions of s-10's and cavaliers were produced with the internal hydraulic tob with virtually no issues.

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A bunch of GM bellhousings have an unfinished clutch fork pivot ball mount on the passenger side of the housing, as well as a unopened fork hole. If you were to work these up, you could put the slave over there, getting some foot/pedal room back.

[​IMG]

Also, GM trucks, circa 1988-1991 'ish, have the slave on the passenger side, down low.
    [​IMG]

22. Larry T

Larry T

I just reread the thread. If you're gonna use an Ansen type pedal assembly and a truck style bellhousing, why not get the truck bellhousing that has the mount for the slave cylinder that is a mate to the brake/clutch mastercylinder that the pedal assembly uses? It's hard to beat factory engineering. Actually a bolt on deal.
    I had a 1960 Chevy pickup that I put a Muncie in this way. Only problem is the bellhousing doesn't have any threads in the lower transmission mounting holes. I just used longer bolts with nuts inside the bellhousing.
    Larry T

23. silent rick

silent rick

i already have the bellhousing. i was told it was a 55, it's a truck bell instead.

24. bobscogin

bobscogin

I used a Howe hydraulic throw out bearing on my T bucket and haven't had any trouble with it. That said, if I'd had the room between the frame rail and bellhousing for a throw out arm, I would have run a slave cylinder.

Bob

25. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Either can work well. I think most of the bad raps on the hydraulic throw out bearing has to do with guy that pull together parts and don't pay attention to the details. The hyd. TO needs to be matched to the type of clutch to get the correct throw range and matched to the correct master cylinder bore. Most also need a pedal stop. Millions of OE hydraulic throw out bearings work without fail just because the parts are matched correctly. If you want to run an Ansen pedal setup and a hydraulic TO you'll need to sleeve the master cylinder clutch side down to the correct size for the TO bearing you are using. If you don't, you be on here with a low miles failure.

26. Larry T

Larry T

60-63 pickup bellhousing isn't real hard to find (and that is what mastercylinder Ansen used on their swing pedals). Bolt on, no muss, no fuss.
    The only complaints I ever heard about the set up was that the clutch was a little slow to release in competition applications. Adapting a larger line between the mastercylinder and clutch cylinder took care of that.
    Larry T

Attached Files:

27. Henrietta the '38 Ford pickup, with 307 Chevy and T-5 trans has a hydraulic clutch using master cylinder and slave cylinder from a '70s Ford Courier/Mazda pickup. Works great.

28. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

ive used the throwout bearing and had cronic leak problems,my t bucket uses a slave cylinder fron a 78 datsun truck.made a bracket, works perfect with wilwood hanging pedals

29. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I moved the clutch fork to the passenger side, used a 63 GMC slave. Plenty of room on the pedal side then.

Ago

30. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Slave - 0 room in a Tbucket, but make it work with what little I had. Heard too many scary H bearing stories.