Register now to get rid of these ads!

Twin Engine Coupling (How Do You Get Two V8's In-Line?)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scotch Buzzard King, Sep 8, 2011.

1. henryj429

henryj429

How about the flex couplers that are used to couple an engine to a dyno? These are similar to the driveshaft couplers used in some late model cars - 05/06 GTO is a good example..

2. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I would use one of these.

http://www.atra-flex.com/

It uses a flexible, shearable insert that can be replaced without moving the motors. It doesn't need to be aligned perfectly and dampens harmonics.

We changed out chain and gear couplings and multi-spline couplers on hydraulic pumps to these. We were having problems with harmonics damaging pumps and bearings on the metal to metal couplers. The original couplers made it a pain to change pumps or couplers and chewed up the keyways. These quieted the pumps and extended the pump life from 1 year to 4 years. Inserts are available in a variety of materials. If the insert fails, the coupler halves don't touch so all that is damaged is the wrap around insert which can be replaced in a few minutes.

My biggest worry about front to back connection is that one crankshaft has to handle twice the horsepower it's designed for. That's why I would want to use a connector that would shear under a shock load rather than using the crankshaft for a fuse.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  3. bobcall

bobcall
    from Tulsa

enjenjo is correct that the engines don't have to be the same. Back in the late 50's early 60's, when twin engine dragsters were in vouge, someone on the left coast had a digger with I believe a 283 Chebbie and a 331 Caddie. The Chevy was in front.

4. Blind Elwood

Blind Elwood

Don't worry to much.With a couple of 1400 HP engines the last thing you want is FLEX. The goal is to make the engines work as one, that's why you hook them together solid.

Blind Elwood

5. Blind Elwood

Blind Elwood

I never build for sound, it's all about going fast.

Blind Elwood

6. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

7. 408 AA/D

408 AA/D

Having driven a twin it does'nt matter how the engines are timed. We tried about everything imaginable with very little change in e.t. or speed. We always had a starting problem trying the fire both engines at #1 at the same time so we finally settled on 45 degrees apart. The problem was using locked mags at around 40 degrees. It would really kick back on the starter and tear shit up. The other problem we had was overpowering the race track as the largest tire we could get in those days was a 12:00-16 and trying to setup a Hays dual disk slipper was also a big pain in the ass. We finally abandoned the projest after two years, cut the car off a put a blown Chrysler in it. The crowds really did eat up the twins back in the day though.

As for coupling the engines together we used two sprockets, a double roller chain and a double keyed crank snout on the rear engine.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
    Deuces likes this.
  8. This is something close to what I'm actually going for. I've always liked Duesenbergs, but I'm a working man. Can't afford one. Doesn't mean that I can't build something similar in looks with a garage made V-16. :D It is still America after all, all things considered. I've got a ton of heavy duty truck parts, an old Dodge truck cab (1940 with a shit chop job), and a 283 that's just begging me to buy a twin. Sounds like a good start for a blue-collared Duessy in my opinion.

Deuces likes this.
  9. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

You know Duesenbergs only had 8 cylinders, right?

10. Not all of them. There were some rare racers that had the Duesenberg aircraft engines in them. Auburns were also known to have more cylinders than 8. I can't remember if they were V12's or V16's, but they were amazingly engineered and amazing in general.

Deuces likes this.
  11. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

Production Duesenberg auto engines were 8 cylinders and were built by Lycoming.

Lycoming builds aircraft engines that aren't Duesenberg auto engines.

Auburn and Duesenberg are related but don't share engines.

Auburns used straight eights and V12s, Cadillac had a couple different V16s

Packard ran straight 6, 8 and V-12, later cars in the 50's ran V8s

Lycoming also built the V8s used in the Cord sedans.

If you want more information, feel free to send me a PM.

Shawn

12. Man. Some people just have to be right. :rolleyes: Can we get back to connecting two V8's now?

Deuces likes this.
  13. johnb11

johnb11
    from Washington

Seems to be the consensis a Lovejoy Type of engine coupler or the Gear/Timing Chain Approach?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  14. I'm starting to think so. I guess everybody does it differently. I'd sure like to see some more pictures though. :D

Deuces likes this.
  15. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

I liked you thinking on hooking two up - I like facts also!

Deuces likes this.
  16. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

:rolleyes: Yeah, the units we hooked together were DC motors rated at 2000 hp that could be run at 150%. We twisted 5" solid shaft before we switched to shearable couplings.

17. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

I wonder if you could modify a dragster diff coupling to work.

It would give you lots of options to play with phasing the two engines without having to modify something each time.

Shawn

18. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I thought he was fair and informative. If you are trying to build a Dusy replica, you should know they came with straight eights. The Cad 16 OHV engine was and is a beautiful engine to look at and to see run. 456 cid. 45 degree I have only seen a few but I loved them. Marmom also had a 16 of about 450 inches. Paul Latter has an AA/BGS that he runs at Bonneville with two turbocharged 55 inch Cad V8s. Don't know what he has for a coupler. But they are very close together and he made one long exhaust manifold and rocker box per side which makes it look like a 16. Al Liest has a mark Williams coupler on his car. It seems like th best answer.

19. Weedburner

Weedburner
    from Wa State

Here's a link to a page http://grannys.tripod.com/4rotor.html with some details on how I coupled two Mazda rotary engines for this unusual Outlaw Dirt Latemodel I built back in the early '90s, damn near everything on that car was homemade.

[​IMG]

Okie Pete likes this.
  20. 296moon

296moon
    from england

Pics of mine as promised [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Okie Pete likes this.
  21. CrkInsp

CrkInsp
    from B.A. OK

What about the "Peg n Socket" system used to drive a ProCharger off the front of an engine. Just a thought.

22. OneRustedDodge

OneRustedDodge

This is a great thread. :D

too many fords likes this.
  23. gsjohnny

gsjohnny

what is the part number for this setup?

24. RAY With

RAY With

WOW a lot of input here and back in my days it was two sprokets and a double roller chain. It worked back then and should today.

Deuces likes this.
  25. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

26. Me thinks..you probably learn more of this by going to a tractor puller website..Hell they run six or more engines and some at 90 degrees

27. boutlaw

boutlaw

Wow, interesting stuff, thanks for the education. I always wondered and now I know
    ......... kinda

28. Tony

Tony

It is very informative..never really understood it myself. Now i do have a much better understanding of how it's done.
    Now, i have a couple questions that are probably simple for those who have done it etc......
    One starter for both engines being they are coupled together?
    And, IF by chance one engine fails will it take out the other one as well?

Tony

29. slightly OT. sorry. but i thought you all should see this. it has two engines. i took pics of one a few years back. two engines, 2 trannys, two rear diffs. it was differnt. Ill try and find the pics.
    http://www.draglist.com/artman2/uploads/2/H4_1.jpg

30. Awesome thread!, I've always wanted two inline model T motors in a speedster.

Double the Horse Power ..... to 40 !!

Deuces likes this.